Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Can dog's get poison ivy?

Hi everyone! You were all so helpful about Lucy that I thought I'd ask about my little shih-tzu, Stella. Over the past week, Stella has been itching like crazy...I would find little clumps of hair everywhere and she was keeping us awake all night with her scratching. I didn't take her to the vet since I tend to over-react a little bit But, I decided to wait and ask my groomer who is a very knowledgeable person since she bred this breed for 20 years. Stella was groomed on Thursday and my groomer didn't see any fleas (Stella had advantage put on her two weeks ago), and at the time we couldn't see any spots...only irritation from her itching. Since then, her itching has become less noticable but now I'm seeing little tiny spots (a little smaller than a pea) on her stomach and back legs. I've recently come down with a rash that my doctor is pretty sure is poison ivy. The only way that I think I got it is from Stella (her stepping in it), since I haven't been outside much or exposed to it any other way. I'm wondering if she could have poison ivy (if that's even possible?) I did switch her food, but that was two months ago (from science diet canned to nutro canned) which she adjusted well too. I'm really doubting that it's a food allergy and am thinking it's either bites or something she picked up outside. Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay thats weird BUT Stella to my knowledge can't get poison ivy but you can get it from her!

If you both have it...then it's not poison ivy it's something else, could be an allergic reaction to the flea control (that stuff is strong pesticide).

I'd give her a soothing bath (poor Stella) with a fragrance free natural shampoo not drug store crap or pet store crap, go to a health food store.
After you rinse and PAT DRY don't use a hair dryer it will irritate it, put some aloe vera gel on it, I'm telling you it works amazingly!!! Get that when you get the shampoo.

When you bathe, use luke warm water not hot or very warm.

It could be a reaction to the food change or stress from loosing Lucy and now a new kitten. Lots of changes in that doggies life right now!

Put some vitamin e in her food as well and a teaspoon of flax oil a day.

Do you think it's from her food? Dogs can get food allergies and break out and go nuts everywhere. She's small, have you thought of home cooking for her?