Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 1st, 2008, 12:14 AM

Unhappy I'm scared to take her in!

I know that I have to take my baby girl in to the vet. But I want more opinions cuz everyone that I have talked to told me that she needs to be put down. Chasity is 18 years old. SiamesePersianX. She has recently started urinating in my plants and all over the hardwood floors surrounding them. She would do this in the past if her litterbox was not clean enough for her. But now she just goes in the plants all the time. I know she needs to be seen but do you think they will tell me to put her down?
Carrie-Anne
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:26 AM

it may be that the amount of time that you spend with her has changed and she is giving you the kitty finger but if nothing has changed and you give her the same amount of atention and you havent goten any new animals recently that are taking up you quality time then defanitly go and have her looked at...if she is 18 years old it may just be her time...(heaven forbid)...but then it may just be that she is giving you the kitty finger...concider things like change in diet new famley members(pets)...and make shure that nothing els has changed about her...sleeping habits, eating habits, the way she "tlks" to you, but defanitly go and make sure that she isnt in pain...cus nobody wants that for even the smalest member of their family...

good luck
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm with pets4life, ignore your friends and take her in. It's probably an infection that can be cleared up with meds.
Please let us know what happens.
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM

Carrie-Anne- Welcome to the forum!

When any cat begins to "do their business" outside the litter box, that is a classic sign of a Urinary Tract Infection. Because those are painful, and because, to the cat, the pain becomes associated with the litter box, a cat will avoid the litterbox at all costs, hold the urine until she can no longer, then urinate wherever she is. I think there's a very good chance that's what's going on. And, a UTI can be cured with antibiotics very easily when it's caught early on.

And, so far as euthanizing your cat is concerned, you are the only one who can ever make such a decision. If it should happen that, at some time in the future, your cat should become incurably ill and is clearly suffering, even then the most that a Veterinarian could do would be to recommend that you end her suffering. But, at no time will anyone ever remove that choice from you.

Now, the earlier she sees a a Vet, the better. Left unchecked, UTIs can migrate to the bladder and kidneys, and are much more difficult to eradicate. If a kidney infection is left untreated, even more serious problems can begin.

One other thing. She's now 18. That's 88 human years old! Today, Feline Veterinarians recommend that "senior" cats go to the Vets for full health checkups once a year...Chastity is beyond "senior"...she's now considered "geriatric"....she really needs to go anyway, and this situation gives you a good immediate reason to take her.

I'm so glad you came here where there are people who really know about cats!
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that this sounds like a UTI. If it hurt when you went to the bathroom you would go to the doctor but poor kitty can't ask you to take her. Keep us posted. I keeping my fingers crossed that you get some good news from the vet !!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Kitty pimp

a cat that old should see a vet regulary i dont think they would recvommedn euthanasia if she is in no pain but peeong outside the box is definitly a sign of a problem the quicked whe sees a vet the better it will be