Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Kitty Mum

URGENT! Help me please!

As some of you know, my kitten, Orlando, just got castrated. I got him back this morning and now my Maine Coon, Fidel, is hiding. He will not come out at all. Orlando found his hiding place and when he went up to him Fidel hissed.

If you knew my cats this is very strange. Fidel and Orlando, literally, are best friends. As well, Fidel is a VERY passive cat. The only other time he hissed was as a warning to Orlando when he first arrived, as Fidel needed space and time. After a couple of days they were inseperable. This hiss seemed a little scarier.

Orlando has been gone since Tuesday night. When he came back very early this morning he was his usual self. Thing is, Fidel has hid since 6:45 a.m. and still is...

The only thing I can think of that is different is Orlando's smell. He may smell like other animals, but he also smells of a chemical. I think it is an iodine... He has a greenish-blue dye on his fur in the applicable area. It has made his whole coat smell.

Is this what would be causing the problem? If so, is it wise to wash him? He has had all day, and groomed himself often...but still stinks. I do not have any cat shampoo, what would I use? He has no sutures...

If not, what do you think this could be?

This is very strange....
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

My wife's cats do this when ever one of them goes to the vet. You can't notice it as much with the cats, but when Daisy (our dog) comes back after being there over night, she has a different smell. Since the cats hate the vet, when they smell it on the other one, they go ape. Just give yours a few days, and I'm sure it'll be fine. That's the way it works in our house.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

After a few days I would bathe him. Use a good quality pet shampoo. I use a non-soap, oatmeal shampoo from Vet Solutions.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

IMHO, it is not necessary to wash him, just my opinion. I'm sure the vet told you to watch that he doesn't lick the operation site too much, once in awhile is OK, after all...Things will be back to normal soon, I'm sure. Cats have their own little hierarchies and unless the fur starts flying, it's best to just stand back and let them get on with it.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Kitty Mum

Thank you That does make me feel a little better. Especially knowing that one of you has had this experience. I am crossing my fingers that it will get better. It is definitely the smell.... well, I am almost certain of it. I took Fidel out of his hiding place and brought him to "his" room. It is our bedroom, but he is in there all the time. The other two come and go from that room. Anyway, I put him on the bed, he took one sniff of the top cover and FREAKED. He hissed like crazy and ran.

His pupils are huge and eyes wide - which is not helping him either. Right now he has a slight Edema that I need to take care of to make sure it does not turn into conjunctivitis. The vet gave me epsom salts to make a salt water compress. I have to put on his eye twice a day for 15 minutes. MY husband could not find him this morning to do it while I was at work. I come home when he leaves for school or work. I have not been able to get to him either. I took him out, but he FREAKED and ran :sad:

I am washing the cover he got so upset about. I plan on washing the other things that are Orlando's fave as well. To get the current smell off - he does not mind.

Thing is, Fidel is not an alpha male. In this house hold it seems to go Jesse, Orlando and then Fidel (he is just SO passive).

I can even smell this stink on him. It is awful - worst I have ever smelt from a dentist. Very very strong....

I just might have to bathe him, but I have no kitten (6 mons) shampoo or cat shampoo at the moment to do it. Plus, not sure if it would be okay seeing as how he was just operated on yesterday. Though, he does not have sutures and has already had 24 hours......
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I just wonder why they would use Iodine that stinks on a cat,he was just neutered ,right?? I never noticed or smelled anything after my cats were neutered.
You could probably try to clean the area with just warm water for now,without disturbing the inscicion.
Most cats will react to strong chemical smells,maybe not as violently as Fidel..
Hopefully it will go away soon and they'll be pals again
Many,many years ago,I had a dog(pre Advantage)the vet gave her a flea-bath,when I brought her home,my cat absolutely freaked and attacked my son who was playing with the dog,all because of the smell.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Kitty Mum

Yeah, it is a very STRONG smell. I am not sure what it is. I am assuming iodine because it is coloured. But it is not a henna colour like the iodine they use at the hospital. It is a bluey green. Whatever it is it stinks something fierce. Fidel is not being violent (scratching, swatting,...) he is just hissing violently which I have never seen before...pretty scary for a what is usually a gentle beast....cowardly lion.

I never immerse my cats in water when they need a bath, just wet a wash cloth and shampoo that way. This occurs once a year...maybe...if that. Orlando needs something right now. Until I can get a gentle kitten shampoo I will have to use reg. water. Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

The odour you may be smelling could be from the anesthetic along with the regular odours associated with a vet office. This would explain the "chemical smell." Give it two or three days and it will wear off. I don't see a need to bath the cat especially if it isn't used to baths. This will only cause unnecessary stress for the cat which isn't needed after surgery. Hope this helps!!
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats recognize each other by smell, so a cat who comes home from the vet often smells like a new, strange cat.

Take a towel and rub both of them with the same towel to transfer the smell back and forth between them. If necessary, keep them separated until the medicinal smell goes away. You don't want them to get in the habit of fighting.

Do not force them to interact.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Never have I seen an after effect odor from the sedation used to neuter a cat, or even general anesthesia. Male cats get an iv sedation of Ketamine/xyloxine. If his bladder was not expressed by the tech prior to the 1 minute procedure the cat would release urine while relaxed. Betadine followed by alcohol is a standard scrub for the incision area but there is another scrub used that is left on as a sterile field. This is blueish in color but has no odor. I think he just brought home extra icky smells left over from his recovery.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

There are many different drugs that may be used for anesthesia, and the selection is subject to each individual veterinarian's experience and preferences.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's just "vet" smell. Daisy gets it even when she stays over-night when we go away and can't take her. I can't really smell it on the cats (a little if I pay attention), but on Daisy I smell it big time.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Kitty Mum

Well, the secret smell has been uncovered. It is no longer a secret...

I do not know why I did not think of this....

I spoke to my friend who had taken Orlando to the vet and he had stayed over there the night. I asked her if she had any idea what the smell was from...what had the vet used?

She had asked me what the smell was like. She told me that she had never noticed a smell on him at all. was my face as the smell was so strong I could not believe it could go un-noticed.

When I described the smell and the dye she asked if he peed in his carrier. Well, no he loves his carrier but he does not pee in it and would definitely use the little over the carrier. Though, come to think of it...it is a long drive home from where she lives (about an hour). So, yes he very well could have peed! I told her she was brilliant as I had never even thought of it.

Here is how I know she is correct...

The smell reminded me of a chemical and urine (though not strong like cat pee, but that must have been masked by the chemical smell).

Orlando has a favourite pillow. It is a dark forest green and it is made out of really soft, plush fun fur. It is a brand new pillow, never been washed and has been spritzed with a fabric refresher a couple of time....because he is on it always

Well, he must have peed in his carrier on the way home (if you gotta go you gotta go). His pee must have soaked into the pillow really well. From being brand new and never been washed. The pee must have caused the dye to run out and go all over his fur. And from switching positions he got it from head to toe. The pee mixed with the brand new material and the fabric refresher must have caused that horrible smell. It must have been so strong from lying in it for how ever long.

I feel completely stupid for not thinking of that myself. I just assumed - vet = chemical smell and dye. How could I not put two and two together.

As well, here I thought I was being super sweet for putting his favourite pillow in his carrier and favourite stuffed animal and all it did was cause him to sleep in it! Bad mommy :sad:
Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd hide too

If you had my little brother castrated I'd probably hide too. I'd hiss at anyone that gave away my hiding spot too (seriously nueter and spray).

I'm glad you found the real cause.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Tyr,I am glad you found out where this smell came from...I just keep an old towel in the carriers, if cats get frightened they will usually pee and I would not use something that they use in the house.My vet is only 5 min away,but all three cats howl like I was torturing them on the way