Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM

My dog was attacked; what can i do to minimize the mental truma?

I haven't posted in a while because things have been going great w/my now 1 yr old malamute(he was 1yesterday) Tonight i was walking him and a Akita mix broke down his front screen door and attacked my dog . Goku being so young didn't really know what to do. He's never had a problem playing w/other dogs and this was out of the blue and he got the worst of it . He only bit back once just kept trying to get away. Neighbors came out and were trying to hit the other dog with a broom people were throwing shoes. My friend and i were screaming. A car stopped and started beeping.It took the akita owner 2-3 minutes to pry his dog off of mine. he had to punch it on the nose several times to get it to release. My poor guy crawled in to my lap afterwords and just laid there in shock,. He appears ok now has a bite to th nose. His collar saved his neck and his should will no doubt be sore tomarrow. My concern is how can i minimize the mental shock. Do i take him to the park tomarrow to play w/his dog friends, do i wait? I have heard alot of dogs when attacked young like this become fear aggressive and goku has had some fear aggression issues in the past. Is there any thing i can do or should do to make sure there isn't a problem? or do i just wait and see?
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Just a thought here. Im not a behaviorist by all means but this is what I would do.
I would carry on with his normal day, going to play with his buddies. Sometimes I find that a lot of dog behavior problems stem from the owners creating them.
Kita has been attacked a few times ( at camp, beat up by a shih tzu of all things ) I tried not to coddle her and increase her obvious fear. I calmly checked her over for any 'injuries' but there was none. Sometimes its better to carry on as if nothing happened.
Sadly dogs will get into fights, we do our best to prevent it, but none the less it does happen. Id suggest trying not to let the dog 'sence' your obvious insecurity of it. Understandibly you yourself are shooken up too.
Sorry to hear about Goku and his bad experience with this dog. Hope he heals well mentallly and physically of cource.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Honest Contributor

ditto what erykah said... dogs can sense their owner's distress and make it their own. like falling off a bike, get back on (with helmet!) and proceed with caution, but do proceed.

i'm so sorry there are such badly behaved dogs around... breaking through a screen door says alot about the owner though, i'd be surprised if this was the first time this happened... akitas (and mixes) have a mind of their own BUT can be very well trained to follow ground rules. just know, however, that if that dog had really wanted to harm your mal... you would have a seriously maimed, possibly even dead, dog on your hands. it appears it was alot of spit and noise (akitas are famous for that) and you're very lucky it didn't get worse. however the owner is still responsible for his dog's behavior, perhaps you should lodge a complaint with the authorities. may prevent another "incident" down the road... resulting in another akita destroyed because the owner didn't know how to handle it, not to mention what could happen to the other dog who is attacked.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:40 AM

thanks erykah and techno. my concern was it's effect on goku being so young-but i'll go on with the usuall routine and hopefully every thing wil be ok. Actually the akita mix on the third bit grabbed his shoulder and wouldn't let go for about 2-3 minutes with the owner pounding his nose and another guy wacking it w/ a broom. he clamp down and wouldn't let go. What REALLY REALLY pisses me off is #1 this dog was adopted 3months ago from our spca. He was turned in because the owner couldn't handle him and our spca adopted him back out. #2 the man who owns him knows nothing of akitas temperament or how to handle an akita. He had no idea they were at one time used for fighting and had no idea that they could be very territorial. #3 he told me he has to keep the dog in the crate for about 10 hrs a day . He said he was going to get rid of the dog because he had noticed the dog going after his daughters friends as well when they were playing tag in the yard. (this guy doesn't even have a fenced yard)I had to explain to him akitas are very loyal to family members. The spca was called to the sceen by someone and told the gentleman that if he gave the dog back to them he would be destroyed. I told him to contact an akita rescue and maybe this dog could find a good home. What the hell is wrong with people taking in a large breed and not researching a little : and what the hell is wrong w/the spca not checking the dogs temperament and informing people about the breed the are adopting . Sorry a bit of a rant but what if had been a child walking a dog or a small dog. Has disaster written all over it.
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:46 AM

I agree with your rant. No way should the SPCA have left a dog like that with a guy who punches him in the face to remove him from a dog fight (among all the other things).

I'd just be careful around dogs that look similar. Sometimes, they don't associate the attack with dogs in general, but dogs with a specific appearance.

If you know anybody with larger dogs that your dog has already played with, I'd make a date with them first. To me, it'll be much easier to get him back in the game if he starts with familiar faces.
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Performance Spaniels

I'm with Prin. Cider's only bad tangle was with a JRT. And now she gets her back up at any JRT.. I try to stay calm about it, if we meet super nice ones let her get close and see it's okay, but I doubt she'll ever be alright with any JRT looking dog again.
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Yikes, poor dog(s), the Akita is so being set up for failure...

I think you've already gotten good advice - BIG BIG common mistake is empathizing, worrying, and coddling. I see this all the time, esp in public with people with puppies - another dog comes running up doing normal dog stuff, their dog shrinks back and shrieks, and the owner scoops it up going "it's OK! Poor Max, poor baby". These dogs are not being taught confidence, social skills, independence - very sad! And we wonder why we have so much separation anxiety and mixed up dogs dying in shelters.

Whereabouts in Ontario is this? This guy needs to learn how to get his dog off another dog, this is totally unacceptable. If it's a grab & hold dog he could've ended it in seconds with a break stick. Many dogs are dog-aggressive and there are mixed opinions on them, but it's a manageable issue, if the person knows how.
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Honest Contributor

i'm still pissed at this situation (perhaps i'm biased, owning two purebred akitas myself). i'd love to have a chat with this ignorant owner! Do you know what his akita is mixed with? not that it matters, just curious... it's the dog's heritage, past experiences and current home situation that all brews together to make a very unfortunate incident for your and your poor baby.

You know, my male was attacked TWICE by a little aggro jack-russel when he was only 6 months old, his face was torn to bits yet i got screamed at for owning the aggressive breed when the "fight" was going on.. .yeah... only the JRT did not have a scratch on him and my dog still has scars from those two encounters (yes... idiot OWNER, not dog...). yet, i didn't fuss and coddle him and life went on as usual, and he has never held a grudge against any dog or JRT. i guess it also depends on your dog's individual personality, too.

For the record, my akita has not once in his life started a fight, yet he has certainly provoked many scuffles with his "looks" and "arrogant attitude" - the equivalent of a macho guy in a bar looking at other guys with a smirk on his face saying "come on you wimps, i dare you"! sooo his freedoms have slowly diminished over time, we know who he is now and can read him like a book, and sometimes other dog owners think we are paranoid cuz keep him on a leash and away from other males but hey, we're also responsible owners who have taken on a breed that, in general, does NOT get along with same-sex dogs, we knew that before we got our pups because we did the research. unfortuntately, that is not the case for every owner... and in the end, the dog ends up paying with his life

and this is the same dog that does pet-therapy in nursing homes, that kisses babies on the nose like a soft butterfly, that is gentle as a lamb with every human being in the world.

please keep us posted as to what happens, i'm so sorry this happened and can't help but feel "involved" - breeds to that to people, LOL - and please try to help your boy through this by acting like it didn't happen, he will follow your moods and be much happier for it in the future around other dogs and social situations.

Old June 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about your dog being attacked but the advice given here is great. Techno I know exactly what you mean my bro has an Akita and she is very sweet but she gives Bud this look sometimes that could make your average dog run. But that all it is a look fortunately he is a responsible owner and has trained his dog and does not put her in situations where she will have to defend herself, because I would not want to be on the end of an Akita attack. I am sure if you look into it this is not an isolated incident. I wish Techno could go talk to the owner before the dog pays the ultimate price.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Goku - and you. I know that feeling soooo well. When my Shadow (who is an Akita X Blue Heeler - but has an Akita serious face) was 1 year old she got bit in the face by a GSD. She survived it better than I did. I was hysterical when it happened and she was bleeding all over the place from puncture wounds. The wounds healed well but to this day she does not tollerate GSDs at all. She'll stare them down (as I won't let her off leash - she is somewhat dog aggressive and more so since her attack). As I said she has that serious don't mess with me face of an Akita and most people think she's viscious yet she loves people - if you're lucky you get a kiss otherwise it's just a nose bump. Let Goku play with her pals and try not to stress yourself about it. She will pick up on that. Good luck to you both and hope Goku isn't too sore.
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Boo has had altercations with an Akita before and the owner was equally clueless. My boyfriend and I ended up having to restrain the akita ourselves after the twit couldn't even call his dog.

I think doggirl is right in a way- if you're going to have your dog anywhere near other dogs, you should know how to break up a fight. You can't depend on other people for that, even if their dog is the bigger one (unfortunately). I know in this case, the contact was totally accidental on your part, but for people who go to dog parks and things, it's important, IMO.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM

How do you break up a fight?

Ok, Nicky has yet to be attacked by anything but now you all have me thinking that I need to be prepared. Prin said that you should know how to break up a fight. Can you, Prin, or anybody else give some expert advice on the proper ways to break up a fight between your beloved fur baby and a big and/or small dog?
Sorry to threadjack a little bit.
Thanks,
Mahealani
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Honest Contributor

first, NEVER attempt to break up a dog fight yourself unless you are very experienced and are not afraid of getting injured - because chances are, you will be if not done correctly.
second, the bigger the dogs involved, the more careful you need to be.
third... here is a great website that details some tried & true methods: http://www.leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

Quote:
I will start with a warning. Unless you have a lot of experience do not try and break up a dog fight by yourself. Never step in the middle of two loving pets and try and grab them by the collar to stop a dog fight. If you try this, the chances of you being badly bitten are extremely high. People don't understand that 2 animals in the middle of a fight are in survival drive. If they see you at all, they don't look at you as their loving owner. When you charge in and grab them they either react out of a fight reflex and bite, or they see you as another aggressor. When they are in fight or flight they will bite you. You can take that to the bank.
Quote:
The safest way to break up a dogfight requires 2 people. Each person grabs the back feet of one of the dogs. The dog back feet are then picked up like a wheelbarrow. With the legs up, both dogs are then pulled apart.

Once the dog fight is brokeb up and the dogs pulled apart it is critical that the people do not release the dogs or the dog fight will begin again. The two people need to start turning in a circle, or slowly swinging the dogs in a circle while they back away from the other dog. This stops the dog from curling and coming back and biting the person holding their legs.
Quote:
The worst case scenario is that you are alone when a serious fight breaks out. There are a couple things that you must keep in mind:

Keep your cool you have a job to do.

Do not waste time screaming at the dogs. It hardly ever works.

Your goal is still the same; you must break up the fight without getting hurt.

Go get a leash (allow the fight to continue while you do this).

Dogs are almost always locked onto one another. Walk up and loop the leash around the back loin of the dog by either threading the leash through the handle or use the clip. I prefer the thread method.

Now slowly back away and drag the dog to a fence or to an object that you can tie the leash to. By doing this, you effectively create an anchor for one of the dogs.

Then walk around and grab the back legs of the second dog and drag it away from the dog that is tied up. Remember to turn and circle as they release.

Drag the dog into a dog pen or another room before you release the back legs.

Go back and take the dog off the fence and put him or her into a dog kennel.

Sit down and have a stiff drink (or two).

Old June 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Wow, I feel like I just broke up a fight after reading all of that! lol
I need a drink just imagining what it would be like...sheesh!
As I was reading that, I was wondering what happens if the dog you are trying to get the leash around, turns and tries to attack you?
Thanks for the info, techno. I hope I never have to break up a dog fight.
Mahealani
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Honest Contributor

(apologies in advance, still threadjacking... although maybe info here for folks?)

Quote:
I hope I never have to break up a dog fight.
i used to think that advice was hogwash, until a few of my friends (not all own akitas, either!) got bitten while trying to seperate two of their own dogs, in their own house... you think you know best cuz they're your babies but nope... when the fight is on, nothing else matters except their adrenaline. a single, accidental gash from a flying tooth is enough to cause infection, pain, misery and life-long scarring. so nooo thanks...

anecdote... long but if you want to read through it, i had posted this in my akita forum but pasted it here. lesson in there... nobody sticks their naked arms between two fighting dogs unless they want stitches, must keep a level head despite the stress of it all

we went walking the dogs on the mountain about a month ago, where it's Sunday tradition to hang out at the tam-tams, gorgeous weather, dogs behaving and everybody having a great time, until this big shepherd-husky comes trotting over and challenging dakotah, the only dog we saw with no leash on.

we keep dakotah very close and very tight, his hackles are up, he's growling, we holler over to the owner (a stoned kid, no less... well they're all pretty high there!) to leash his dog, he just laughs and says "oh he's not mean, he's ok", I tell him "well our dog is gonna kick your dog's @ss if you don't call him back" - gotta speak their language, you know? anyways we manage to push this growling dog away for a while, but he keeps following us and makes the mistake of trying to put his head over dakotah's shoulder and snap! that was just too much, the fight is on - i have maika and can't do anything, i yell to hubby to let the leash run its length (but still hold on) so dakotah can defend himself and not get strangled, until the stupid owner can come get his dog, no way is anyone gonna stick their naked arm between these two boys until they're latched on!

finally the owner comes running, looks like he doesn't have a clue, he tries to grab dakotah's leash to pull him away and i just shoved him off and yell at him to grab HIS dog, we'll take care of our own, geez... anyways it's more spit and noise than anything, both dogs are the same size (no idea if the other dog is intact or neutered, can't see), but dakotah is on the other dog's back the whole time, it ended with him holding a mouthful of neck fur and pinning the other dog down in a tight grip, we could finally then seperate them...

there is blood dripping everywhere, a kind lady and her friends said she was a doctor and to check if dakotah's tongue was bitten because that could bleed alot, she offered to hold maika while i poured bottled water on dakotah's face & in his mouth (hubby was holding him) and wiped him clean with tissues, he only had one very small puncture above an eye and had bitten his own lip, that's where the blood was coming from, it dried up after a couple of minutes. a lot of people gathered around and were concerned, asked if they could do anything to help, and that the other guy should be cited for having his dog off the leash... then the owner came over himself after tying his dog to a tree, i could see the dog's tongue was all red too, he kept apologizing and i was just sooo mad... he said "we've been here for 3 hours and nothing happened, he's not a mean dog" and i told him that obviously, things CAN and DO happen and he was lucky my dog didn't inflict any more damage that a few punctures on his dog's head, it could have been alot worse, and that if MY dog had any real injuries i'd sue his @ss!

then he said "yes you're right you could sue me, i'm sorry, i didn't mean for anything to happen, i had no idea, but your dog won, he taught my dog a lesson, he really lost the fight...". poor guy was so stoned and had trouble keeping it together... i told him to go tend to his poor dog, to be a good owner and protect him from the next dog who would really hurt him, and that he should take this as a warning lesson to be more careful in the future, that there was a reason for the leash law and he was VERY lucky i was not reporting him! he was soooo subdued and just walked away with his head hung low. sigh.

Old June 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM

update;It gets worse

So During the dog malay, the akita owner got a small bite on his finger, apparently the spca reported it to the health dept and both dogs are quarantined even though they both have had their rabies shots. I women is coming to examine my dog tomarrow. I called the spca this afternoon to find out why this was done and the said it was policy eventhough no dog attacked a person.
They then went on to tell me the other dog was surrendered back to them. I questioned them on what their testing procedures were before the ever put a dog up for adoption. The woman told me he seamed fine w/ the staff. I asked if the had checked to see if it was ok w/other dogs orif it had food aggression,etc. and the woman started to tell me it wasn't my busness and they do the best they can. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.so this dog is in quarrantine and i asked if they were going to put it down after the ten days or were they going to try and contact an akita rescue. No to the akita rescue so i offered to do it and she said they will determine what they will do.
WHAT AN INCOMPANTANT IDIOT
Techno If you have any ideas let me know. I live in FORT ERIE ontario and this dog is at the fort erie spca. It's not this dogs fault what happened but the idoit 1st owner the spca and the 2nd owner. Someone asked what the dog was mixed with and the new owner thought german shep but it looked predominatly akita
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Honest Contributor

oh man oh man....

thanks so much for posting an update... here is what i found:

Akita Rescue of Canada
Steve Watson or Maureen Stapleton, RR 2, Stayner, ON L0M IS0
Steve - (705) 428-3039
Maureen - (416) 899-3370

Akita Watch
Mitzko Suzuki, 216 Lake St, St. Catharines, ON L2R 5Z2 (905) 984-5620 Email
Bev Lewis - (905) 775-6320
Mitzko Suzuki (Toronto) (416) 745-4495

also:

http://www3.telus.net/akitaaction/rescue1.htm

and

http://www.akitanetwork.com/Rescue/canadianrescues.htm

I hope one of these rescues can step in and help... you are an incredible person, do you know that? this dog hurt and frightened your puppy and you are reaching out to help him... i could hug you right now

do you want to contact any of the above? or what can I do to help?

Old June 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks techno; I'm going to try the st catherine rescue first and work my way from there. Poor dog is only 2- 21/2 yrs old.
On personal note I have a soft spot for Malamutes,Siberians, and Akitas, These guys often get purchased by people who think they are sooo cute as puppies or like the powerful reputation they have and don't realize what they are getting into. These older spitz breeds are all independent thinkers and require a strong leader in the house. once thats set up these guys are great.
I've seen so many ,malamutes put down because of aggression towards other dogs. (which is y i was concern about the effect on goku because i've been trying to keep him well socialized since day 1) or because they are "to hard to handle" It pisses me off to no end that people don't do their home work on these breeds. IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF that the spca which should be the foremost in the area about dealing w/dogs they adopt out, can't even be trusted to properly evaluate a dog going into a house w/young children. What if it had been a child walking my dog or another samller dog. UGh i'll be ranting about this 4 days. I'll keep u all updated
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM

The St Catherine's person is the one I'm familiar with. Though I'm also familiar with this shelter and their policies and I don't think this dog will be alive a day after its' quarantine. (And their adoption/screening policies ARE atrocious, needless to say.)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Honest Contributor

yoda, were you succesful in reaching anyone yet? still thinking about your incident from the other day... and that poor, unwanted dog

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggirl
Whereabouts in Ontario is this? This guy needs to learn how to get his dog off another dog, this is totally unacceptable. If it's a grab & hold dog he could've ended it in seconds with a break stick. Many dogs are dog-aggressive and there are mixed opinions on them, but it's a manageable issue, if the person knows how.
Hi Doggirl,
I'm still new to a lot of the terms used on the board.
Can you tell me what is a break stick ? (hope this is not what threadjacking means ?)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

it's pretty much what it sounds like, a stick used to break up a dog fight. you can wedge it in behind the molars, twist, and pry open the mouth, loosening the grip enough to get them apart.
Attached Images

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
I'm almost in tears I clicked the link you submitted and 2 out of 3 Beautiful Akitas on the page have been euthanized..... That is so sad.....
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda900_ca
1) or because they are "to hard to handle" It pisses me off to no end that people don't do their home work on these breeds.
You know how you need to pass a course to get a car or motorcycle license. There should be one for pets. People who think they can just give up there pet for adoption if it does not work out are so wrong in thinking that way.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Honest Contributor

i know... it is sooo sad. did you see this page though? http://www3.telus.net/akitaaction/rescue2.htm

i just visited a friend last night who drove down to NY to adopt a 2-yr old akita from ARWNY (an akita rescue), this boy was found wandering by a highway, thin, dirty and afraid and with a chain embedded deep in his neck. however despite all this he is the biggest love-bug, grateful to have a 2nd chance at life... for every devil on this planet, i pray there is an angel.

now THAT was threadjacking! sorry....

Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
i know... it is sooo sad. did you see this page though? http://www3.telus.net/akitaaction/rescue2.htm
Thanks so much for sharing that Technodoll although sad for those who lost their lives it's nice to see there is hope for many others. Akitas are beautiful looking dogs and now I know if I see one at the park what the breed looks like.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Honest Contributor

here are more...

on the left is my 8-month old girl, Maika, and on the right is Butch, the 2-yr old rescue from New York that my friend got two weeks ago (he will get his first bath this weekend, it is badly needed):

and here are my two kids, Maika and Dakotah, with their dad. No two akitas look alike, that is a beautiful thing of this breed!

Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Adopted by Dani

WOW thay are BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!