Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM

spaying a cat - laser or traditional, and when

Hi..

we just recently adopted an abandoned kitten called Pebbles. She is a tabby with lots of spirit..we need to find out when to spay her, and whether we should find a vet with laser surgery.
we live in the suburbs, north of Toronto (not too far from Toronto). can anyone recommend a vet who will do this WELL and what will be the costs?
Thanks ...

Pebbles_mom
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi! Thanks for adopting a homeless kitty!

Spaying is quite a simple operation and the recovery time for kittens is usually just a day. I don't know about the laser spay, but the traditional type spay normally heals quickly and uneventfully.

You need to get her spayed by the time she is 5 months old to be sure she won't go into heat.

I'm sure someone in your area can recommend a vet. Depending on where you got this kitten, she needs to go to the vet before the spay to be examined and checked for things like worms, fleas and earmites if she has not been already.
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM
cat slave

awww that's cute!! I too adopted a homeless kitten from Toronto suburbia. She now goes by the name Twiggy and she's taken over my house. Spoiled little brat She's somewhere under the couch now taking her mid day nap. She and my guinea pig have formed a bond. hehe

My kitty hasn't been neutered yet either. My vet said that the age for spaying/neutering is after 6 months. How old is your kitty?

Personally i wouldn't worry about that operation right now. I think it's more important to take it to get her shots first for worms and ear mites. My kitty had PLENTY of those!

My kitty was taken to the Kleinburg vet up near Woodbridge. message me for the phone number if you want. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post vet numbers on here.
People there were very friendly. The cost should be around $200(that's what the assistant told me when I inquired)

good luck.
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My vet said that the age for spaying/neutering is after 6 months.
That is not true. Cats can go into heat and get pregnant at 6 months old.

If your vet won't spay a cat at 5 months or under, see a different vet.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM
banned user

I would strongly recommend laser s/n if you have that extra money (believe it's about $40 more). I did that to my pup Diego and his cut was only about one knuckle long, he barely lost any blood during the surgery. The cut was completely healed within a week.

Diego's neuter cost me $198, taxes extra. The city run Spay/Neuter clinic charges $135 plus taxes for a conventional s/n.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Smile Thanks for the suggestions - from Pebbles_Mom

Hi All...

Thank you so much for helping me out...

Pebbles was found in mid July and she was about 2 weeks old, so by now she is about 2 months old. Fortunately, she is quite healthy, and she has received her medicine for worms already.

I know that traditional spaying will work too, but i was told that laser works better and heals faster... i would prefer to go the "less pain" route for her - it may be a bit more money (especailly in Toronto), but i think she is worth it: she is our joy in life and she had a rough life before she was found.

So, if anyone can provide a name for a vet who does laser or a vet who can do it well with the traditional spaying,please let me know.

Thanks to all of you...it is simply awesome to know people who cares.