Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM

Question Cat vomits but otherwise normal

Our Himalayan kitten is 3½ months old. She's very active and playful, purrs all the time and has been eating and using the litter box normally. However, every night, in the middle of the night or very early morning, she gets up, meows some, then vomits once. The vomit looks and smells like partially digested cat food.

We keep her food and water fresh and use different dishes every day (the dirty ones go in the dishwasher for cleaning). She has a balance of hard food (Chef's Blend) and soft food (9 Lives or Friskies). After she vomits, she's completely back to normal; playing and purring etc. Also, she will sometimes eat after she vomits and she does not vomit again after eating. She doesn't vomit after eating her normal meals, either.

I would just take her to the vet but we don't have the money right now. I'd be more concerned if she were depressed or acted strangely and find a way to get her treated, but she never acts that way. Even now as I'm typing this, she's is batting her toys around, pouncing on her scratching post and generally tear-assing around the room.

Any advice about what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Investment tip; buy stock in Resolve carpet cleaner, just in case this keeps up.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Where did you get this kitten? How long have you had her?

Every kitten should be taken for a checkup after it's brought home, unless it comes from a very reputable breeder who will provide all documents that the kitten is healthy in every way.

This vomiting is not normal, and your kitten needs to see a vet. Be aware that pets can cost money (sometimes a LOT) and if you cannot afford to care for this one, perhaps a pet isn't the best idea for you at this time.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:34 PM

We got her at 10 weeks old. We got her from a reputable breeder, complete with documentation.

Looks like we're going to have to scrape something together and take her in to the vet. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Thanks.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm..how often and how much are you feeding her?

I don't know what Chef's Blend is...who makes it?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM

Chef's Blend is about equivalent to 9 Lives as far as quality. It's popular in the US.

We give her about 2 ounces of the canned food and about a ¼ cup of the dry. She usually only eats the canned food, and when she's hungry, she'll eat some of the dry. I've read that it's not a great idea to leave food out for them to graze on whenever they feel like it. Would you agree with that? Perhaps that's the problem.

I wondered about worms or parasites, but she had all of her shots for those before we bought her.

Do you think the meat/rice diet would help?
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Be careful what you're using on the carpet, switch to a vinegar and water spray that you make yourself.

This carpet spray is loaded with toxins that can make the kitty more ill through enhaling and licking the toxin off her paws.
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I missed the part about the Resolve!! Luba is right - please stop using that.

When you think about it, your kitten's nose is about 3 or 4 inches away from the carpet and she is inhaling that spray.

That could very well be making her vomit!

Also, 9Lives dry food is pretty much crap. I would put her on a good kitten food like Nutro or another premium brand. You can get these at pet food stores.

For such a young kitten, I would leave the dry out all day in addition to her regular meals of canned.

Please let us know if the vomiting stops after you quit using the carpet spray!