Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM

new puppy and biting

B]Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated![/B]

We have a new puppy that joined our family (black lab/border collie). She is 8 weeks old. My problem is her biting. I know all puppies nip but she actually lunges and bites. We've tapped her nose, scolded her and gave her time outs but she still does this. I've never heard a puppy with what I call a "mean" growl and then lunge. Other then this she is a wonderful and affectionate pup. She is very smart and learns quickly except for the above mentioned problem. Will she grow out of this and I just need to be patient? Any help would be great.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new puppy! You've got a mix of two breeds well known for mouthing and nipping.

Your puppy is doing what all puppies do. What is important is how you handle it. Puppy kindergarten would be a good start for her.

No nose tapping, or scolding please. Here is a bunch of puppy info. Scroll down to "Puppy mouthing and biting" link, near the bottom.
Puppy Stuff
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM

Thank you LuckyRescue for the great information. I felt uncomfortable tapping Roxie on the nose and scolding her. Those tips I got were from other pet sites. I'm really glad I found this one. It's been a while since we've had a puppy. We sadly lost our four legged family member last September. She was 18 years old (poodle/sheltie). I thought it would be a while before we got another one but I missed Shadow so much she was great company for me. And one look into Roxie's eyes I knew she was the one for me. Thank you again for the advice.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:32 PM

puppy biting

Thought I'd add a couple of suggestions regarding puppy biting from our puppy training days.

When puppy bites let out a loud "ouch" to let her know she has nipped to hard. This helps her learn bite control when she is older.

Another suggestion when playing with your puppy:

end the game if she bites/nips. This lets her know that in order to continue playing she needs to make sure her teeth touch her toys not you.

You didn't say whether you had small children.
Sometimes it is better not to engage in tug of war and rough games (especially if you have small children around). Just think of what you will be teaching your puppy not to do to your kids and then try not to encourage that in play either.

Good luck with your new puppy!!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:39 PM

Great tip Dee thank you! As for small children mine is 21 years old but we do have a small nieces and nephews.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Dee has a good point there. Let out a sharp "ouch" in a hurt tone of voice, and then say "no" in a growly voice. Then stop the game. Also, you could try a scruff shaking, or pinning her nose down to the floor. I often have to use the nose pinning method on my dog, and when he's very bad, I scruff-shake him. These methods the mother dog uses, and are probably going to be much more effective than hitting a dog (not saying you do of course).

When she lunges at you, you could also try being very ready for it, and as she tries to bite you, scruff-shake her and scold her in a growly voice. Good luck with the new puppy. Did you get her from a shelter?
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I am so glad that I came across this site. The info I'm getting is very helpful. Not only to my question but to others that I have read.

As for Roxie, I was reading the newspaper ad section and came across this ad for puppies for sale. I couldn't resist because it read: Black lab/Border collie pups (Oops). The reason for the 'Oops' was that the mother was a registered black lab in heat and ready for breeding but when they put her outside (on a lead) to do her business a neighborhood 'Romeo' (border collie) came a calling. The mother had eleven pups (6 male/5 female). And Roxie is the sweetest little 'Oops'.