Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM

Question LITTER made of wood pellets, Opinions>is it safe?- Montreal

I live in Montreal and would appreciate opinions from other cat owners on using litter made of wood pellets?

I would be grateful to know if it is available anywhere in the Montreal area?

But, most importantly though, is it SAFE? is it DUST FREE (for cats with asthma/lung related illness?

I appreciate all opinions, suggestions and information. Thank you.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

http://drfoxvet.com/info/QandA/post/...-for-kitt.aspx

Dr. Fox who a vet posted this about wood pellets litter and I was thinking the same thing , has the wood been treated .
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

The Edmonton Humane Society uses wood pellets and boy the smell is so much nicer! Check out your hardware stores as well as the pet stores. I went into Rona a while ago and you can buy an 18 lb bag for about $5.00-$8.00. Far less expensive then the pet stores. It is not treated and fine for feline litter boxes.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:35 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
The Edmonton Humane Society uses wood pellets and boy the smell is so much nicer! Check out your hardware stores as well as the pet stores. I went into Rona a while ago and you can buy an 18 lb bag for about $5.00-$8.00. Far less expensive then the pet stores. It is not treated and fine for feline litter boxes.
I am now hesitating on purchasing them, because unless I can find wood pellets that have information - written on their bags, assuring me that their product has not been treated, I absolutely cannot take a chance, and assume, or believe the salesperson at the store where it is sold.......I have become mistrustful of many industries (i.e. the many cats who died or became very ill from the incident involving China and the cat food, pet food recalls, etc. etc. Also, although we may enjoy the scent of wood pellets, our kittys may not, plus I believe for cats with asthma and other breathing related illnesses, scented products are definitely not recommended.
from an article by a Vet Dr. Fox: "Wood pellets (and also cedar chips/shavings) may contain dioxins and other potentially toxic chemicals, especially if made from treated lumber, and their absorbency of cat urine may be poor."
I do appreciate your reply - thank you!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

you can also get corn and wheat based litters. There's also the one's made from paper and recently Blue Buffalo has gotten into litter made with walnut shells. I think I've tried them all. There's also the silica ones. The one I like the least is the one with walnut shells. There's one designed for cats with breathing issues. I think it called Respircare, the company has a doctor's name that I can't remember right now. I'm using a super duper premium one right now (4 cats, 3 are boys so tend to be a little strong) very, very little dust and it's awesome for odour control.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I don't blame you for being suspicious - it's smart to be suspicious these days. You are smart to read labels carefully - they are written by experts for the purpose of selling the product, NOT informing the consumer in many cases. Vague words are often used when there is something less desirable about the product.

It's not cheap but we use yesterday's news which is made WITH recycled newspaper.

I just researched it and i thought it was made exclusively FROM recycled newspaper. Immediately that brings up the fact that Mcdonald's uses 100% pure beef....but they never tell how much of that beef they use. Maybe it's 1% - no idea.

I haven't verified the authenticity of this email supposedly coming from Nestle...but it seems about right given the vague use of the word "with" on their packaging.

so do read the labels for yourself

(sorry for going a bit off-topic)

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Our Purina(r) Yesterday's News(r) brand Cat Litter Made with Recycled Paper - Unscented - Original Texture consists of 50% Recycled Paper (Newspaper, Magazine, Office Paper, Kids Homework, Corrugated Cardboard Material) and 50% Wood Pulp (Hard and Soft Wood). Please know that our scented variety does contain Myacide, which is an antimicrobial agent used to prohibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Again, thank you for visiting our website.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Dr. Elsey's is the name of the kitty litter for cats with respitory problems. Pet Valu carries it here in Alberta. I think it's a bit more expensive. World's Best Litter is good too but pretty pricey but it does hold up well. I have 4 cats and 3 boxes so we need a good litter. SWheat scoop is good but if you have older cat boxes then it may stick like crazy to the box.
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Exclamation INFORMING OURSELVES! of litter made from recycled newspaper PLUS PLUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I don't blame you for being suspicious - it's smart to be suspicious these days. You are smart to read labels carefully - they are written by experts for the purpose of selling the product, NOT informing the consumer in many cases. Vague words are often used when there is something less desirable about the product.

It's not cheap but we use yesterday's news which is made WITH recycled newspaper.

I just researched it and i thought it was made exclusively FROM recycled newspaper. Immediately that brings up the fact that Mcdonald's uses 100% pure beef....but they never tell how much of that beef they use. Maybe it's 1% - no idea.

I haven't verified the authenticity of this email supposedly coming from Nestle...but it seems about right given the vague use of the word "with" on their packaging.

so do read the labels for yourself

(sorry for going a bit off-topic)

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for informing us of this absolutely shocking information! I have also been under the impression that Yesterday's News was made of just recycled paper! And also, I have often been concerned about the ink - lead?, and other "ingredients" in the newspaper. When we purchase i.e. Yesterday's News, and our cats use the litter, the "ingredients" remain on our cat's paws - and then, when they groom themselves and lick their paws, those assorted chemicals are being ingested by our kittys!!

This is a forum to let each other know to be informed, in order to help us care for and protect our very precious pets ! These huge multi million & billion $$$ companies, that we are supporting, by purchasing their products, are very often, misleading us, and they are NOT being honest, in that they are witholding very important information! And this is information that we have a right to!

Marko, please do not apologize! > "sorry for going a bit off-topic". I am quite sure that many other members here, feel the same way that I do - in being very grateful for this website! We appreciate having this wonderful place, pets.ca! We are fortunate in being able to post our questions, receive replies, and educate ourselves by having the opportunity to share very valuable information with each other. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.ehow.com/how_7699090_test...see-toxic.html
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for the comment violet 0019!
I guess I'm not too worried about the actual newsprint ink being ingested in this case. I was just under the wrong impression because i didn't read the label well enough. It's still a good litter though imo.

Our bodies are strong and fish and chips are still served on newsprint in many English pubs....Cats and dogs eat all kinds of stuff...so I'm not too worried about my cats licking their paws that touched the litter. I just wish it was 100% recycled material.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Tags
asthma, litter, wood pellets kitty litter