Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM

Fostered Mama and six kittens - mom has coccidiosis

What would be the recommended diet be? I am currently using Royal Canin Medi Cal Feline but we are going through 2kgs (4.4lbs) every six days or so and it's expensive because all of my cats are eating freely. I *could* try to feed everyone separately but with six eight week old kittens and three adults it's just so much easier to let them eat it freely and give the kittens kitten food throughout the day. Also, I've read here on the forum that this food isn't as good as they say it is.

Mama's poop did firm up well after three weeks of constant liquid diarrhea so it does seem to be working. She has a mild case of coccidiosis but the SPCA won't take her or the four kittens we aren't keeping back until she has three consecutive negative poop tests. She's had one pos and one neg now.

I'm not paying for it, the SPCA here is but they are perpetually broke.
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

LOVE YA FOR FOSTERING

No this is not the greatest food for your precious sweeties. I feed my foster kittens raw and I can tell you they are the healthiest kitties going! They are supplemented with Wellness Kitten Canned and Instinct Canned. I have had every vet who has seen them comment on how great their physique is , very muscular. If you can't afford these, then Wellness makes larger cans of cat (adult food) that can save quite a bit of money and is acceptable for kittens, especially if you supplement with some raw meat.

Ummmm now can we have some pics of your kitties PLEASE

I pay for my fosters food because the stuff the Humane Society provides is not good quality and they don't have the funds either.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If you find canned is too expensive, try supplementing them with Orijen kibble, it is good for both kittens and nursing mommas.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You could also try adding some pure pumpkin to momma's food. Not a lot. About 1/2 to 1 tsp per feeding. It helps to firm up the bowels. Make sure it's not the pie filling. It needs to be pure pumpkin. You can find it beside the pie fillings in most stores.

And I agree with L4H. Thanks for fostering!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you for the reply! It's not so much the cost for me but the SPCA. They said they provide the food and because it was a specialty food I didn't even think of the cost. But then I was in there today and the manager told me she had to pay for some Katimavik sp? volunteer's bus fair with her own money and I realised how broke they are. We've used 4 or 5 bags at $20 each now and it's really a lot. I think I will pay the bill for it at the vet's but look for the other foods you kindly mentioned here. I'm sure none of the vets have Wellness or Orijen. It's either Royal Canin or Prescriptives or something like that. Can you get it at the pet store?

They had their 8 week shots today (we had to do in the driveway of the SPCA because we are infected. ) and they couldn't believe how big and healthy they are so that made my son and I proud as we've been babying them for the last four weeks. It's also amazing that none of the babies have coccidiosis, I'm glad they aren't sick. We didn't know what to give them really so they get Iams soft food and Iams kitten food. Our adult cats eat Iams indoor cat food. I am going to the pet store tomorrow though, just reading about the lack of quality in most pet foods has made me ill and now I'm on a mission to find them something more healthy to eat!

You know what? Mama was eating pumpkin guts yesterday when I was carving the pumpkin! I have video of it, very sweet. Her and a little one. I will pick up some plain pumpkin tomorrow, what a great idea! I've even read that before but didn't even think of it for mama.

I'm so enjoying this fostering experience, even with the runny poop. The babies are adorable and mama's a sweetheart. They will be transferred from the north interior here to the lower mainland and Vancouver island where they are supposed to get better homes.

Here's some pics. I'll post more! Gah, they are so adorable!!!!
Attached Images

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a gorgeous fur family! They really do look healthy--you and your son have done a fabulous job with them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They are so beautiful, THANK YOU so much for posting pics. Normally coccidia is not a big problem in healthy cats. I think if you can get momma on a healthier food it may do her good. You can only find Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct or Orijen at a quality pet food store, not at the vets.

Ancientgirl or Kathryn may be able to let you know where in the States to buy it if you are there. I will PM them and ask them to respond.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Love4himies; November 1st, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOlimar View Post
Thank you for the reply! It's not so much the cost for me but the SPCA. They said they provide the food and because it was a specialty food I didn't even think of the cost. But then I was in there today and the manager told me she had to pay for some Katimavik sp? volunteer's bus fair with her own money and I realised how broke they are. We've used 4 or 5 bags at $20 each now and it's really a lot. I think I will pay the bill for it at the vet's but look for the other foods you kindly mentioned here. I'm sure none of the vets have Wellness or Orijen. It's either Royal Canin or Prescriptives or something like that. Can you get it at the pet store?

They had their 8 week shots today (we had to do in the driveway of the SPCA because we are infected. ) and they couldn't believe how big and healthy they are so that made my son and I proud as we've been babying them for the last four weeks. It's also amazing that none of the babies have coccidiosis, I'm glad they aren't sick. We didn't know what to give them really so they get Iams soft food and Iams kitten food. Our adult cats eat Iams indoor cat food. I am going to the pet store tomorrow though, just reading about the lack of quality in most pet foods has made me ill and now I'm on a mission to find them something more healthy to eat!

You know what? Mama was eating pumpkin guts yesterday when I was carving the pumpkin! I have video of it, very sweet. Her and a little one. I will pick up some plain pumpkin tomorrow, what a great idea! I've even read that before but didn't even think of it for mama.

I'm so enjoying this fostering experience, even with the runny poop. The babies are adorable and mama's a sweetheart. They will be transferred from the north interior here to the lower mainland and Vancouver island where they are supposed to get better homes.

Here's some pics. I'll post more! Gah, they are so adorable!!!!
What sweeties you have! You are a good person for trying to give them a good start.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM

Thank you!

Love4himies, I'm in BC, in the north interior.

When you say 'raw' is there a certain way to do this?

The gray one above is Spot, he has a spot on the left leg and the orange is Hercules, he is one big kitty! These are two we are keeping. These pics were from a couple of the weeks ago, here are some more recent pics.

Here are some more pics. My son does the naming.
Attached Images

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG I am in love with your foster kittens.

Interior BC, hmmm, is that in the Kamloops area or more rural.

As for raw, I would give my foster kittens a prepared raw diet, comes frozen and can be bought at quality pet food stores, or I would buy extra of what ever I was eating for dinner and give them some (poultry or beef, not pork). If you have wild game, they always preferred that to domestic. Canada Goose was their fav. We have a hunter friend that would provide that to us.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM

More pics.
Attached Images

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am going to have a heart attack from looking at those sweeties

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM

We are about a 6 hour drive north of Kamloops, do you know where Prince George is? We are an hour south of Prince George.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any raw food cat food at our pet store, unfortunately. I will look for some high quality dry and soft food though. I could try to convince my husband to go out and shoot a deer! I can't stand it but I'm sure the cats would love it!
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM

Aren't they great? It's been one heck of a hard decision to make to pick the ones we will keep. We may keep mama, too. I'm so worried she won't get a good home.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
Live well, laugh often

OMG, they are all soooo adorable .

Good job on the fostering .
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
We are about a 6 hour drive north of Kamloops, do you know where Prince George is? We are an hour south of Prince George.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any raw food cat food at our pet store, unfortunately. I will look for some high quality dry and soft food though. I could try to convince my husband to go out and shoot a deer! I can't stand it but I'm sure the cats would love it!
Yup, lived in Edmonton before coming to Ontario.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Aren't they great? It's been one heck of a hard decision to make to pick the ones we will keep. We may keep mama, too. I'm so worried she won't get a good home.
OMG that is what I did with my first foster, Sweet Pea. It is called a foster failure when you end up adopting your foster . We love foster failure stories..

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM

Foster failure, that's me.

I originally went in to get a kitten, my adult cat, Pookie I didn't think would take to an adult but he's totally been great with Mama.

They had kittens but there was Mama in a cage with all six babies. They couldn't run and play and she couldn't get a break from them. The ladies at the SPCA didn't have time to spend with them and at four weeks they were hissy and frightened of everything. So, they clearly needed us! They told me Mama and the babies had been exposed to coccidiosis but this only meant they needed us even more. A week before a mom and babies all were put down because the babies were very ill with coccidiosis and the shelter was over full of cats. I don't think they had the time to deal with it. I hated to think of this happening with our mama.
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM

Here are our other cats, Pookie and Pebbles.
Attached Images

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love all your cats! So pretty! I wonder what Pookie and Pebbles think about the influx of new faces recently?

I love the kitty-cuddling pics...and the names your son chose! 'specially "Snake"! That pile of kittens pic is absolutely adorable!

As to foster failure...well...it happened here, too...only with dogs.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww, they are all so so sweet!! I love them! What a great thing you did! Thank you very much. The world needs more like you!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM

Thank you so much, everyone. I tell people I'm fostering and a lot wrinkle their noses and they are bemused as to why I want the extra work and I'm quite literally on cloud 9, I love it!!

Pookie and Pebbles are ok. Pebbles' nose it totally out of joint but she's coping and Pookie is annoyed when he gets attacked. One thing that really helps is that Mama is a totally calm cat.

We have a dog, too, Daisy. Snake was trying to get milk out of her the other day, can you post video here? I got some really cute video of it.

My son (he's seven) picked the name Snake because she was so hissy when we got them. The were terrified now they follow us around and climb on our laps. I'm so glad to have helped them - they can really get good homes now that they are friendly.
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Given the circumstances, Snake sounds like the perfect name!

If you post a video on a photo/video sharing site (like photobucket or yahoo!) you can post the link here...you post links by clicking on the blue orb with the chain link in front of it on the tool bar just above the reply window.

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Pookie and Pebbles are gorgeous!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
-

Pookie and Pebbles are beautiful and the kittens are sooooo adorable.

Thank you for everything you have done.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
chronically insane.

For 8 weeks how'd you get them to be so darn big?

That's my last group when they were 7 weeks and the orange one was about 10 weeks. Maybe I just have mini-kitties where I live?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Foster failure, that's me.

I originally went in to get a kitten, my adult cat, Pookie I didn't think would take to an adult but he's totally been great with Mama.

They had kittens but there was Mama in a cage with all six babies. They couldn't run and play and she couldn't get a break from them. The ladies at the SPCA didn't have time to spend with them and at four weeks they were hissy and frightened of everything. So, they clearly needed us! They told me Mama and the babies had been exposed to coccidiosis but this only meant they needed us even more. A week before a mom and babies all were put down because the babies were very ill with coccidiosis and the shelter was over full of cats. I don't think they had the time to deal with it. I hated to think of this happening with our mama.
Money is always tight at shelters :sad:. So glad you offered your home and help, it will help ensure that these guys get a good start in life.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM

I know, kathryn. Not sure how they are so big! Mama is a pretty big cat. Maybe someone miscalculated their age? They were brought in to the SPCA, Mama didn't have a name and at four weeks they had already given one of the kittens away. :sad: Breaks my heart, the little one probably died.

Your babies are cute! It's so hard to get good pics of them unless they are eating or sleeping.

It sucks that the shelters don't have enough money.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM

Thought I would mention exactly how and what I am feeding them.

The kittens share a can of Iams soft food, chicken or lamb and rice in the morning. They eat the Medi Cal food freely throughout the day plus I put dry Iams kitten food down for them to snack on periodically. Mama can't have it so it's only down long enough for everyone to feed while I hold squirming mom. Then, at dinner I soften kitten food with water - about 3/4 cup. They nurse a few times a day still.

I have another question. We used to feed soft food all the time but one of my cats developed severe teeth trouble, grimy, coated teeth. We had them cleaned and then cut out the soft food. Are their certain types that are worse for their teeth?

Editing: Kathryn, I went to one of your profile pages, my son is homeschooled as well! Sounds like you love animals very much, you are doing a great job!

Last edited by CaptainOlimar; November 2nd, 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM

I'm home from the pet store!

Picked up a bag of cat and kitten Orijins dry kibble, Merrick Turducken and Cowboy Cookout soft food, Wellness Chicken formula soft food. They only had two cans of Wellness so I got the Merrick as well. They had raw dog food but none for cats, they are going to find out if they can get raw for cats. So, all-in-all, I feel I was pretty successful and am excited to start them on this new, adequate food! Love4himies, which brand of raw do you use and what others would you recommend? I'm not sure what brand of dog food they had at the pet store.

They had other food as well, "Natural Balance" "Technical Precision", "Horizon Legacy Adult", "Horizon Premium Kitten". I'm glad I found Orijins but I am curious about these other brands as well. Should I start posting all this food stuff to the food board?

I uploaded some video to YouTube, here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsCGJ7ikMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJeCqtUVthU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDKYAI40rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Bjom3OFlo

Sorry about the crappy quality. I compressed them to upload to my Photobucket account but it kept failing so I uploaded them as is to YouTube when I probably could have used the higher quality versions. Anyway, they are some cute babies and I hope you all enjoy them.