Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old June 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM

Any Vet Recommendations?

I have a female Akita that is 10 years old and we found out recently she has diabetes. She is 115 pounds.

Our old vet mainly has experience in treating small dogs with diabetes, and they don't carry the human insulin that my dog would require because of her size.

We went for the consult and talked about our plan of action, she is a very experienced vet and has treated Akitas before. But I feel more comfortable in seeing a vet that has treated large dogs with diabetes and also has experienced with Akitas. As well, she made it seem like there is no hope for my dog because Akitas are VERY temperamental and it would be difficult for her to follow the strict eating routine.

So I am now looking for a new vet for a second opinion and any tips/advice on how to deal with the strict routine of a Diabetic dog... and someone who doesn't think my dog has lost all hope because of the breed's attitude. I reside in the Markham/Richmond Hill area, so anywhere near there is good..Toronto is too far for us.

Also, anyone with a diabetic dog who has some words of wisdom would be great. I am very scared/nervous/anxious/overwhelmed right now with the whole thing!
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17 View Post
I have a female Akita that is 10 years old and we found out recently she has diabetes. She is 115 pounds.
Hi EL17! Sorry to hear about the diabetes diagnosis (been there: my cat has had diabetes for over 9 years). The good thing is, this is NOT a death sentence, and any vet that thinks it is is not worth going to. So good for you for wanting to find another one.

Quote:
and they don't carry the human insulin that my dog would require because of her size.
Well that's ridiculous, because any "human" insulin can be purchased from any regular pharmacy - you don't even need a prescription in Canada. Your vet should know that and should have been able to point you in the right direction.

Quote:
I reside in the Markham/Richmond Hill area, so anywhere near there is good..Toronto is too far for us.
Can't help you with vet recommendations, but perhaps there are people at these links that might have more info:
http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetespet/

Quote:
Also, anyone with a diabetic dog who has some words of wisdom would be great. I am very scared/nervous/anxious/overwhelmed right now with the whole thing!
I totally understand how scary and overwhelming this can be! I can also assure you that it DOES get better. There's a rather steep learning curve in the beginning, but eventually it will all come together and become second nature to you. I encourage you to read all you can about this condition and how to treat it - don't rely exclusively on any one vet for all your info. Diabetes is ultimately a home-managed disease, one that you and your dog live with daily, while the vet only sees you a few times a year. Don't get me wrong, working closely with a good vet is essential! It's just that it's ultimately your responsibility to make the best decisions you can for your pet, and the best way to do that is learn learn learn!

Couple more sites you should bookmark and refer to frequently:
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.caninediabetes.org/

You can also read a little bit about my cat, Aztec, here.

All the best to you! I had an Akita/Rottie cross when I was a kid and he was the most awesome dog.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Thank you for Your kind words of encouragement! I am now feeling a bit more at ease knowing that are others out there and experiencing the same issues, I was really down last week when i found out about her health
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

EL17, sounds like you are getting some good advice here. I just wanted to welcome you to pets. I am certain that you have pictures of your Akita; care to share them with us!!!!! Maybe open up a new member thread and show her off!!!!

Tags
akita, diabetes, senior, vet