Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM

New Rescue dry-heaving?

I've had Reggie (Pit Bull/Great Dane mix) for almost 1 week. He came from a shelter and is very skinny. He eats well, is playful, pee/poop is normal...but he dry-heaves ALOT. He has this fuzzy squeaky duck that he LOVES playing with, so I'm not sure if maybe he has a hairball or not?? Maybe his food isn't agreeing with him??

I have no idea what he was being fed before I got him, but I am feeding him Purina Puppy Chow wet/dry mix (is that ok?). I've also thought maybe it's from missing his previous owner & he's making himself sick from the anxiety...I'm not sure.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
-

Have you taken Reggie to be checked by your veterinarian? It could be intestinal parasites or something more serious and life threatening.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/dry-heaves.aspx

Only your vet will be able to diagnose his dry heaving so please take him asap.

As far as the Purina Puppy Chow there are much better brands out there and none of them are found in the supermarket or places like Walmart. You can only purchase top quality brands at local independent pet stores.

I prefer to feed the grain free kibble brands .....check out our food forum here for lots of great information. There is also excellent information at www.dogfoodproject.com and www.dogaware.com and click on all the links provided at both websites.

But, first, please take Reggie to your vet as dry heaving is something to take very seriously. Good luck and please post with an update.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Dry heaves may indicate that your pet has internal parasites, internal infection, food allergy, bloat, liver disfunction or has swollowed and ingested a poisoneous substance (such as bone meal fertilizer). Take your dog to the vet as soon as you can.
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/dry-heaves.aspx
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

The best thing to do is have him looked at by a vet. Dry heaving also sounds like coughing, so it could be something to do with his respitory system.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
The best thing to do is have him looked at by a vet. Dry heaving also sounds like coughing, so it could be something to do with his respiratory system.
Very True could also be backward sneezing/coughing either way a vet visit is likely a good idea if it is still happening. If you adopted him from a shelter it should be covered by their health warranty policy.
Dogs usually get diarrhea from anxiety not dry heaves, if it was heaves then he would probably also be vomiting occasionally if it happens after eating.
Any food that can be bought at a grocery store if definitely not the best option, the links provided by rainbow should be helpful.

This is a example of Kennel cough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3Rp...eature=related

Last edited by cell; March 30th, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Please have your dog tested for heartworm.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Often rescues get rid of sick pets to get a quick $$$$ and pass on problems to a new family. Was there an adoption fee and how much was it? Did they give you his veterinary records as proof that he has been to a vet and he has a clean bill of health? Was he tested for heartworm? This rescue should have explained to you what food to buy and if he eats dry food, he should be drinking a lot of water. Do not buy cheap food at a grocery store. I am not sure what dry heaves are, maybe you should take this toy away and get him something washable and see if he still gets dry heaves? He also may have something stuck in his throat. You could also call the rescue and find out if he had dry heaves before you adopted him?
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara View Post
Often rescues get rid of sick pets to get a quick $$$$ and pass on problems to a new family. Was there an adoption fee and how much was it? Did they give you his veterinary records as proof that he has been to a vet and he has a clean bill of health? Was he tested for heartworm? This rescue should have explained to you what food to buy and if he eats dry food, he should be drinking a lot of water. Do not buy cheap food at a grocery store. I am not sure what dry heaves are, maybe you should take this toy away and get him something washable and see if he still gets dry heaves? He also may have something stuck in his throat. You could also call the rescue and find out if he had dry heaves before you adopted him?
Sorry Kiara but you are passing on damaging information on rescues 'often' getting rid of sick pets to make money. There is NO money in rescue. If a rescue even breaks even then they are lucky. Please do not damn all rescues. Tsk Tsk.

To the OP - get all medical files. Contact this vet if this rescue did not provide you with a health guarantee. This could be the start of kennel cough.

I am editing because I am curious if you contacted the rescue. Please call them and advise them as to what is happening. If they don't know then they cannot further assist.

Last edited by BenMax; March 30th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
-

Quote:
Often rescues get rid of sick pets to get a quick $$$$ and pass on problems to a new family.
Ouch
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for posting that link, Cell.

I also just wanted to provide this video link of another cough that actually LOOKS like dry-heaving. This is the same kind of cough that my pup developed when she had viral pneumonia - often times it actually really does look like they're trying to bring something up, as this video shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amGKQ...eature=related

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Sorry Kiara but you are passing on damaging information on rescues 'often' getting rid of sick pets to make money. There is NO money in rescue. If a rescue even breaks even then they are lucky. Please do not damn all rescues. Tsk Tsk.

To the OP - get all medical files. Contact this vet if this rescue did not provide you with a health guarantee. This could be the start of kennel cough.

I am editing because I am curious if you contacted the rescue. Please call them and advise them as to what is happening. If they don't know then they cannot further assist.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I am still alittle taken back with comments made in this thread. I just want to let the OP know firstly - thank you taking in a rescue as there are millions of cats, dogs, rabbits, birds etc that are waiting for loving new families.

All rescues are more or less different. They conduct themselves differently, their pre-requisites for a new home is different, their screening process...different and what they test for in an animal equally all different. One thing that they do try and do is maintain a good reputation. One small error can close them down and they will be torn apart by individuals, shelters and other rescues. For this reason they try and ensure that any animal in their care are handed over to new families with vetting to the best of their ability, and promise (if not already done - puppies or kittens) to be sterilized.

Rescues and shelters are normally very diligent when it comes to health and sterilization. If an animal falls ill once adopted, almost MOST rescues will follow up and either take the animal back to their vet (free of charge to the adopter) or if the situation is fatal, they will either re-fund or replace the animal in question. If they are notified that an animal is ill - they will quarantine all animals in their care until they know what is going on with the animal that is ill. They want to ensure that all animals are free of illness and this has NOTHING to do about the money or there lack of.

Don't forget, rescues rely on their reputation to continue a very important service to the animals and the public. It is NOT in their best interest to adopt out a sick pet and then turn their backs on the adoptive family. Mathematically it just does not make sense.

Let's just all remember number one - this OP needs a little direction on what to do and number two - this OP saved a life of an animal that required a new loving family. This thread is not about what rescues do and don't do - but I had to set the record straight in order to keep the integrity of rescues and the rescuers - there just is not enough of them.

Last edited by BenMax; March 30th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Tsk tsk! :sad: Where is this comment coming from? Kiara, did you have a bad experience with a rescue in the past?

I'm affiliated with three rescues and shelters, all of whom have their OWN personal veternarian that works closely with the organizations to ensure that the dogs will have a clean bill of health before adoption. If they miss something, which sometimes can happen - they deal with a lot of animals, I've never known of any rescue organization to turn away an Adoptee and not help them with their new pets situation.
If anything, I'd say as an owner looking to adopt a healthy dog - you'd have a better chance of doing so with a rescue, than adopting from a breeder or petstore. (Of course I am not talking about the responsible breeders who have health garauntees.)

On a more personal note, I think it's unlikely the OP's dog is dealing with something caught in his throat. When the OP described what they were seeing as 'dry-heaving', this often implies that the dog will be wretching which is extremley different than how the dog would behave or sound if it had something caught in it's trachea; although one surely never knows until a vet check is done.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM

This is an open forum and if people don't agree with my opinion, it is their right. There is unfortunately an "ugly side" to rescuing, which the public does not want to hear about!!!! I am actually questioning this particular rescue? Adopting out a very skinny dog is not a good idea. Some (cats and dogs) are often at the brink of death, as their major organs are ready to shut down, because they are so skinny and malnourished, that's why I am questioning this rescue's operations ??? If anyone who lives in Richmond, Virginia knows about this rescue, please enlighten me! I think that people should give us more details about the adoption process itself, (especially if there was an adoption fee involved, for a dog that is in bad shape!) So we can make a better judgement of the situation. There are a lot of rescuers on this forum. I never had a bad experience with a rescue, myself. Please don't put words in my mouth, just because you don't agree. There is no need to get nasty, by sending me private messages. Unfortunately I know this industry very well and the only concern is to WARN THE PUBLIC. There are a lot of great rescues everywhere and I respect their work and dedication. These great rescues are the ones that truly deserve to get money from the public!!!! Actually a lot or "rescues" have been closed here. They became overwhelmed with too many animals, not enough volunteers, did not take care of the animals properly etc.. Many unsuspecting citizens give thousands of $$ in donations to these "rescuers", thinking that they are good and honest. Believe me some of them put the money in their own pockets. This particular rescue may be good and it maybe is a huge coincidence that this dog is sick, so soon after adoption????
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
This is an open forum and if people don't agree with my opinion, it is their right. There is unfortunately an "ugly side" to rescuing, which the public does not want to hear about!!!! I am actually questioning this particular rescue? Adopting out a very skinny dog is not a good idea. Some (cats and dogs) are often at the brink of death, as their major organs are ready to shut down, because they are so skinny and malnourished, that's why I am questioning this rescue's operations ??? If anyone who lives in Richmond, Virginia knows about this rescue, please enlighten me! I think that people should give us more details about the adoption process itself, (especially if there was an adoption fee involved, for a dog that is in bad shape!) So we can make a better judgement of the situation. There are a lot of rescuers on this forum. I never had a bad experience with a rescue, myself. Please don't put words in my mouth, just because you don't agree. There is no need to get nasty, by sending me private messages. Unfortunately I know this industry very well and the only concern is to WARN THE PUBLIC. There are a lot of great rescues everywhere and I respect their work and dedication. These great rescues are the ones that truly deserve to get money from the public!!!! Actually a lot or "rescues" have been closed here. They became overwhelmed with too many animals, not enough volunteers, did not take care of the animals properly etc.. Many unsuspecting citizens give thousands of $$ in donations to these "rescuers", thinking that they are good and honest. Believe me some of them put the money in their own pockets. This particular rescue may be good and it maybe is a huge coincidence that this dog is sick, so soon after adoption????
Kiara no one put words into your mouth - you did so on your own. I know when to back down and be humble but this is NOT one of those occasions. Your words will damage all rescues in general since you generalized.

By your writing I can see that you do not know as much as you say. Putting money in their own pockets??? What money Kiara - there is no money in rescue. And btw - yes a dog can fall ill after adoption it happens. Have you fallen ill from one day to the next....answer is YES right?

This thread is about someone asking about help for their dog and not about rescues.

Last edited by BenMax; March 30th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
-

kiara, you are taking this thread way off topic. If you want to talk about rescuing then open your own thread.

And, I hope these replies haven't scared the OP away.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
kiara, you are taking this thread way off topic. If you want to talk about rescuing then open your own thread.

And, I hope these replies haven't scared the OP away.
Thank you Rainbow - but I am concerned about the OP as well. I hope that they contact the rescue to discuss the health of the dog and possibly getting further assistance through this rescue. I just hope that this does not scare them thinking that perhaps this rescue is now questionable.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
-

That's correct but I just didn't want to see a lot of arguing back and forth about rescues before the OP has a chance to reply.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
That's correct but I just didn't want to see a lot of arguing back and forth about rescues before the OP has a chance to reply.
I respect your request Rainbow.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM

If this rescue is questionable, they should not be in the industry. Because they ARE CAUSING MORE HARM THAT GOOD!!! They should not adopt out sick animals to unsuspecting public, especially first time cat and dog owners. The good rescues have nothing to worry about and the bad ones will lose their credibility!!! I am worried that ReggieBaby will be stuck with all kinds of vet bills. Please let us know what is happening and the best of luck with your dog. My husband thinks you should take the dog to the vet a.s.a.p. Please let us know what happened!

Last edited by kiara; March 30th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If this rescue is questionable, they should not be in the industry. Because they ARE CAUSING MORE HARM THAT GOOD!!! They should not adopt out sick animals to unsuspecting public, especially first time cat and dog owners. The good rescues have nothing to worry about and the bad ones will lose their credibility!!! I am worried that ReggieBaby will be stuck with all kinds of vet bills. Please let us know what is happening and the best of luck with your dog. My husband thinks you should take the dog to the vet a.s.a.p. Please let us know what happened!
Because the OP did not state as to where this dog came from, it's unfair to AGAIN generalize that this rescue should not be in the industry and is doing more harm than good.

The OP told us that this dog was eating well, which is probably why the rescue employees felt this particular dog could be adopted at the time. I've seen more than one underweight animal go to loving homes. Ideally it would be wonderful to say that each shelter can keep every animal until they are at the perfect weight, but if the animal is eating and digesting food at a normal capacity, then there's no reason for them to keep the animal when an adoption is possible. This doesn't mean that the rescue is doing more harm than good by any means.

As Ben Max has continued to say, we do not know that this dog was sick before adoption. Who's to say that this dog has not contracted something from another animal AFTER adoption?

Besides that, being a pet owner usually means that at some point or another - you WILL be stuck with "all kinds of vet bills". It's just the way it is.

Quote:
There are a lot of rescuers on this forum. I never had a bad experience with a rescue, myself. Please don't put words in my mouth, just because you don't agree. There is no need to get nasty, by sending me private messages. Unfortunately I know this industry very well and the only concern is to WARN THE PUBLIC.
When I asked if you had a bad experience with a rescue, this was a QUESTION. I was not putting words into your mouth. I was curious as to why you seemed to think that rescues were adopting out animals strictly for money, and thought that you may have had a bad experience. Don't put words into MY mouth.
Fortunately I also know this industry extremley well and it helps me advise the public to ADOPT (or at least keep it as an option) from a shelter first and foremost.

(As for sending you 'private messages' I'm assuming this comment was directed at someone else as I certainly did not.)

To the OP - I really hope you've been able to get some help for your poochie! Please keep us posted.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; March 30th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM

It might just be a case of kennel cough. Often dogs come down with kennel cough just after they get home. Sadly alot of dogs get kennel cough and it is hard to get rid of in the kennel because it is such a stressful environment. And the KC just gets passed around. Best thing is to have your vet check him out. Its probably all it is.

Thank you so much for rescuing. It truly is one of the greatest things you can do for an animal. I also volunteer for rescue and yes we do adopt out alot of skinny dogs. Unfortunately its a fact of life. Some of the dogs come in neglected and severley abused. We do try to mend them and help them get on the healthy road but sometimes it takes longer and sometimes it doesn't happen because they are in a kennel and are always stressed and unable to get completely healthy and gain weight. But our rescue always reveals any health or medical issues that we are aware of. We do have vets that check out the dogs but if they do not exhibit any signs of illness we do not probe for it. We will never hide anything we know b/c it does not benefit the dog.

I hope your baby feels better soon. Please let us know how he is doing. Thank you again for rescuing! I look forward to seeing pics too!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

My small rescue is a little different. I get dogs no one wants. I fully vet them, keep them with me for a bit to see if any quirks, illness or anything comes up. Last year my vet bills were in the excess of $5k for the rescues. The money I "pocketed" was less than $2k. I work to support my little rescue.
There is no money in rescue, just a warm fuzzy feeling that you get, when you find the perfect home. Depending on the dog, sometimes I don't even charge a fee. If I know the dog is healthy, and have his medical history, I meet with the vet, and off the pup goes to a new home.

I hope your new dog is feeling better and getting fat and sassy.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
My small rescue is a little different. I get dogs no one wants. I fully vet them, keep them with me for a bit to see if any quirks, illness or anything comes up. Last year my vet bills were in the excess of $5k for the rescues. The money I "pocketed" was less than $2k. I work to support my little rescue.
There is no money in rescue, just a warm fuzzy feeling that you get, when you find the perfect home. Depending on the dog, sometimes I don't even charge a fee. If I know the dog is healthy, and have his medical history, I meet with the vet, and off the pup goes to a new home.

Thanks for sharing your story Shaykeija. It's true - there really is NO money in rescuing. People do it for the love of the animal, because often the output is more than the in. Keep up the awesome work!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post

. Thank dawg for rescues like yourself - keep up the great work and all the very best to you. It is not easy but rewarding in so many ways. Rescues see the worst and the best. The best is the people who adopt and cherish their new companions....you can never get enough of the 'happy tails'.

To the OP - please give us an update on your pet. Hope everything is ok.
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
-

To all of you concerned about Reggie coming from a rescue, he was obtained from the pound according to the OP's other post.

ReggieBaby, how is Reggie doing?