Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM

I hope so too.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I haven't read all the posts... but, none of my dogs have ever been attacked. One was bit in the off-leash park though, however, it must've been in play. It was his ear, there was no ruckus or anything, and I didn't notice it for awhile because of that, plus, he is black, so the blood was hard to notice. One of the dogs must've caught the tip of his ear, he was otherwise fine. I have been threatened with attack by a GSD when I was a kid, and my dad was bitten by one (his fault). Other dogs who have run at me like they wanted to attack have been small terrier types.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Malti-poo, I'm so sorry to hear about Conan, I know what you mean about the authorities not wanting to do anything too :sad:. I wish your little one a speedy recovery!

Cannelle was attacked by four large dogs before we adopted her, and NO charges could be pressed or anything. She had taken Cannelle home from the vet's with the intention of adopting her, and she put her in front of the four resident dogs and they just went right for her. She barely survived and will never be the same again, but the lady got off without even a slap on the wrist .
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malti-poo2 View Post
Our little malti-poo was attacked by two Rottweiler's last Sunday and the authorities don't want to do anything about it.
If people could report dog attacks of any kind - dog on dog, dog on human, dog on other animal - to dogattacks @ rogers.com (without the spaces), it would be greatly appreciated. A group is compiling information about attacks that don't make the media. All detail is good - date, time, location, particulars (be honest - if your dog was offleash in an onleash park, for example), and your contact info.

On the attack on the malti-poo, I'd go to the media and see if you can get some coverage. Helps if you've got pics of the dog's injuries. Try to embarass the authorities (police, by-law enforcement officers, whatever) into enforcing what laws are in place (whether municipal, provincial, state) concerning dangerous dogs. Too often, these owners get off free and clear by killing their dogs and can just go get more and continue to create dangerous dogs through neglect and abuse.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

When we fisrt brought jag home is was attacked by our shih tzu all the time.
on our walks he was attack by a shih tzu.and passing other dogs he was all ways the little one trying to attack him.never ones his size or bigger.just little ones.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM

My female Maltese was attached by a Doberman Pinscher. Guess which dog was Not on a leash.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM

pretty shocking thread... I don't have a dog but a few years ago i knew a neighbour who had a collie type dog. She was a senior/retired but didn't need a cane or anything, but I saw her one day walking her dog and using a cane. I asked about her health and she said she was fine, the cane was for other dogs running loose that menaced her sweet on-leash pooch. After reading this thread I understand why.

There were lots of loose dogs in that neighbourhood and no one (esp. authorities) gave a hoot. I;m glad I don't live there anymore.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM

One time when my mother was walking sable, they ran into a woman walking a mini dachshund, and the little doxie leapt up and grabbed onto Sable's tail, and was just hanging off her tail and the owner had to pull the dog off The dachshund was on leash, but obviously was allowed to get too close.

Another time when I was walking her, a west highland terrier ran out of its house as the owner opened the door. The dog ran across the street growling. I put sable in a sit-stay and the dog just crashed into her. It was jumping all over Sable growling and nipping but it didn't break the skin, luckily sable's coat is so thick, it couldn't bite through the hair.

She's also been bitten numerous times by Lobo, but that is because she will start the fight, usually because Lobo looks at her while she is eating (how dare he!) or accidentally bumps into her...she's a bit of a brat. Actually her only serious bite came from Lobo, his tooth left a furrow down the side of her face, just missing her eye.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Rottie Lover

My 7 yo rottie was attacked by a shepard cross at the dog park after the owner said he was friendly. Never thought I would see my dog picked up by her neck and shaken around. She just went limp and took it. Poor little girl didn't want to play after that.

My friends little yorkie cross was attacked the other day by a german shepard while they were walking her the other day. The garage was left open and when they walked by the dog ran out, grabbed their dog and kept shaking and attacking her. Their Mischa had to have dead muscle removed and a bunch of surgery, she is now scared to go out for walks. Luckily the owners of the other dog paid the substantial vet bills.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:20 AM

My dog Amy was attacked on Monday by a Jack Russell. Both dogs were on leashes. The JR followed us into a pet store and started snarling and growling at Amy. the young girl that was holding the leash took the dog outside to her mother. when my partner and my dog went outside, (she was still on leash by the way), the JR was waiting for them and attacked my dog. I couldn't get to them fast enough but my dog had a scratch on her face and the young girl was upset and crying at what her dog did.
Unfortunately I didn't get their names or numbers cause I would have reported the dog. I went back into the store and let the owners know about the JR. They said they would keep an eye out for him.
Amy and my partner are both okay, quite shaken up still. But now it's almost back to square one with Amy and her wariness of strangers, which we worked at reducing since we got her last august.

Last edited by Amy's Mom; May 27th, 2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM

Whether unleashed dog parks are dangerous or not depends a lot on the dog park. If it is a large one with a lot of stranger dogs and irresponsible owners, it is more likely to be a dangerous place. In my town, people allow their dogs to go unleashed on the nature trail but most of the dogs know each other and many are friends. I've never had any trouble, nor heard of anyone who has, in the 5 years I've walked my dog there before this last week, although there has been some growling and posturing and we avoid getting too close to some dogs who we know don't like each other. A few days ago, my small border collie was seriously attacked by a Doberman on the nature trail. Will we go back? Sure we will. But I am carrying a big stick with me from now on as future insurance. My dog loves that walk and loves meeting her canine friends there...it is the highlight of her day and she has learned to know how to socialize there...I'm not going to deprive her of her joy of meeting her friends there or meeting new ones, both humans and dogs. When I got her she was afraid of everything, again both people and other dogs, now she is afraid of very little and is happy.
I'm aware there are risks in meeting other dogs from fighting or diseases they might pick up. But there are risks in everything, for us too, and trying to avoid them all makes for a very limited and hampered life. It's like parents who try to over-protect their human kids from every risk imaginable...I feel sorry for those kids!
Make sure your dogs gets all their shots and carry a big stick, and let them run and play with their friends where it is allowed. An over protected dog who isn't allowed to do anything or to ever run off leash makes me sad.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Our first dog Freddie, was attacked by a German Shepherd who jumped his fence and a Great Dane who was loose.

Cindy
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not support breed specific bans but if I did it would be Siberian Huskies (or more accurately perhaps, some of their owners) not pitbull types.

1st attack - neighbour's Sib. in MY yard resulting in one slightly chewed and bleeding from the neck much smaller ESS.

2nd attack - no actual contact but several of another neighbour's Sib. forced the same ESS and I to seek shelter in a nearby home as the whole team of them got loose and harassed us. One had bitten the daughter of the house where we sheltered till DH came in the truck to take us home.

3rd and 4th attacks - same poor little ESS attacked by a harnessed team of Sib.s as we sat well off the trail and waited for them to go by. There were two teams and they turned around, went by us a second time and the second team attacked her. I stabbed as many as I could with my cross country ski pole till the idiot owner/musher got the team hauled off of her.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Years ago I was walking my Husky puppy (8 months) and a Golden Retriever came charging off his front porch and grabbed Jack by the neck. It took 3 people kicking and screaming to get that dog off Jack. Tore his leather collar in half. Of course, the owner came strolling out and yelled at ME to "mind my own business" and a few other choice tidbits of colourful language. Fortunately Jack wasn't hurt, just scared of strangers for pretty much the rest of his life. (Called AC and they came out and told them to keep the dog inside or on a leash)

My ex and I were at an off-leash dog beach in southern CA with my Pug Rudy and our Boxer, Nicky (RIP) - on their leashes. We ran into 2 gentlemen with 2 Boxers off-leash and off course approached! One of the Boxers went right after Nicky. Cracked my ex's watch in the melee that followed. These guys were at least nice about it, but I was shocked when one guy says, "Oh - this isn't the first time!" Poor Nicky was 11 at the time and his health decline (died a year later) began immediately following. We couldn't help but think it was related. He seemed to lose his spirit...

You kind of assume when you go to off-leash areas that people know their dogs and are acting responsibly. I would never take a dog to one if I there was any concern about dog aggression.

Kathy
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM

When I was a teenager, we had a brown shaggy terrier mutt dad rescued from the local shelter. She had the most gentle personality. One day on the way to get the mail a Newfoundland Dog named Big Mac came out of no where and tried to attack my dog. Unfortuantely I was in the way so he was jumping on me to get to her, my mother was hauling him off by the scruff of the neck until the owner came and got him. As it turns out a week previous he bit the tail off a golden retreiver in a town parade. I am pretty sure they had to put him down after those incidents.

Getting knocked over by a Newfoundland dog was not one of my happier expierences.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Addicted to puppy

Shade (golden mix) was attacked by a rottie mix in our driveway last winter. She was off leash, but on our property as we were unpacking the car and the dogs owner was walking by with him off leash (didn't even have a leash). He told us that the dog was aggressive and we called Shade who came and sat next to me. He did not get control of the dog though and he attacked her, locking onto her neck. I screamed so loudly that 3 neighbors came rushing out to see what was happening and the dogs owner repeatedly tried to pull his dog off Shade. Ultimately my boyfriend had to kick the dog and pry his mouth open, getting bitten in the process on his hand. Shade neck was punctured and lacerated and she was very shaken up. The owner tried to walk away not even saying sorry, but so many people saw what happened that he came back and ended up reluctantly paying her vet bill and my boyfriends medical bills. I was furious and he felt my wrath