Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Sleeping outside the kennel

Well, we're taking the plunge. We're going to start allowing Diamond to sleep on her pillow in our room. Since she doesn't jump up on the bed (she doesn't know she can jump that high!! ) I'm going to have her pillow on my side of the bed, on the floor.

She's just turned one year old, and yesterday she peed downstairs. I know this is our fault because I don't think she's spending enough time with us and is very excited. Eventually I'd like to move up to her being allowed free reign of the house when we're not home, but I'm still a bit worried about that. So, next best thing is sleeping outside the kennel. Maybe this'll get her used to having more access to the house. I've read that using a leash is the best thing. I'm going to tie it to the bed, so she can't leave the room. So I'm not too worried about that. I'm just wondering if anyone's had problems, or advice, on starting this at such a late age.

ALSO....
That leads to leaving her on her own for short periods of time while we go out. Any advice? We're going to stock up on meaty bones, so she has something to chew.

The last dog I had (a million years ago... in a past relationship) was not kennel trained and had full reign of the house. She was exceptionally smart....she had to be....she was practically blind by age 2. I just wonder what kind of situations I'll be opening myself, and the house, up to?
Again....any advice??

Help!

Thanks in advance folks!
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Hi thought I would put in my 2 cents worth .
When we got Molly she was already 1 and a half years old (we have had her a little over a month now). The people we got her from had her tied outside but said she was housebroke so I took the chance and made a soft bed for her on the floor on my side of the bed ( I am the primary caregiver ). She has had only 2 accidents during this whole time. Both were understandable - the first was her first time home and she probable smelled our other fubaby that we lost in December. The second time was totally my fault cause I usually take her out before our evening playtime in the livingroom and I forgot that time and after an hour of playing fetch with her stuffie ball she just couldn't hold it anymore. LOL I learned fast not to forget to take her out before playtime. She usually doesn't leave her bed once we have all gotten settled or if she does she goes back to bed cause when I get up in the morning she is still on her bed. The leash is a good idea as you are just starting. I was fortunate that Molly adapted so well. Please keep us up to date on how it is going.
I just wanted to add that the only time she gets on the bed is after my husband gets up and I am still in bed LOL she only stays long enough to stick her nose in my face to make sure that I am up then she goes out to the kitchen with Dad.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Since your dog is not used to having run of the house when no one is home, I would start her off in one small room and put up a gate.

Let her earn her freedom, room by room, with good behavior.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Momof4and6furries

good plan lucky!

With our other dog (springer spaniel) we didn't allow her out at night until she was 2 or 3. Even then she'd put herself to bed in her crate!!

I agree though - don't give her full reign at this age - she may not be able to handle it and that sets her up for failure. A little freedom at a time. I think they can become a little anxious when things are changed.

I know one night my Gemma-dog (almost a year) came and woke me up because my husband had fallen asleep on the couch downstairs and he did'nt put her to bed llike he usually does. It was like she was saying "can you put me to bed now???" LOL
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree,start her off in one room at a time.

Yukon and Tron(GSD's) where both 5 months when they had free run of the house.I never crated them.I had the kitchen blocked off.I started them off slowly.Leaving a few minutes at a time then coming in the house.Nothing was tore down,knocked over or ripped up.When I got in the house,I waited a bit,then praised like crazy.Then I would leave a bit longer.Same thing,lots of praise.They just didn't know who they wanted to sleep with,me or my daughter.....LOL
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice folks! We're going to try her on her pillow, by the bed, tonight. We're also going to use the kitchen as her "testing" room. One door is a sliding pocket, the other one can be easily blocked, and the stairs to downstairs can be blocked as well. That way, if she has an accident, it'll be easy to clean up. (not to mention...not much to chew in there)

We'll see how it goes! Keep the advice coming folks. It's all very appreciated!!
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM

Update

Well, the first weekend went really well!! Friday night there was some whining, but I think it's because she's never slept in our room outside her kennel before.

Somehow she managed to get under the bed. It really freaked her out....to the point she was making herself sick with stress. (I could hear her starting the re-gurg) Luckily she didn't get sick!! We ended up putting her in her kennel halfway through the night so we could all get some sleep. Thank goodness it was the weekend!!! No accidents!!!!

Saturday night was better. Very little whining and she did a brief walk around the bedroom when she heard some people outside. She didn't bark (which was nice) and went back to sleep once she determined that there wasn't anything in the house. No accidents either!!!

Sunday night was MUCH better! No whining at all. As a matter of fact, she was asleep before us! She did a little walk around, but went back to her pillow and slept until our alarm went off.

I'm so proud of her!!!! We let her have access to only two rooms at night now. Our room and her room (where her kennel is). The kitchen has a pocket door and we're using a large suitcase to block the hall to the living room. It's working great.

This coming weekend we're going to try to block her into the kitchen while we go out for a half hour or so. We picked up some "mirror hangers" and some peg board. We made half-doors she can see through but not jump over. When we want her to have full access, we can just slide the boards out of the holders and the doorway opens up again. Hopefully this part goes well. I think it will, but you never know. She's such a suck!
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

//thread hijack//
GSD, Diamond is gorgeous!
I have a long haired Rottweiler, so I'm partial to the big weird fluffy dogs.
Old February 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM

Thank you! (proud mama)
I'm going to try and get some action shots of her for the calendar later this year. I love the look of a long hair Rotti. So cute!!!!