Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Munchkin Alpha

Introduction

Greetings!

My name is Judy and I am a Dogaholic and have been for the past 23 years. I have not sought professional help for this condition as it brings me great joy.

I currently have a pack of 6 dogs. My preferred breed is the Lhasa Apso. I think these dogs are perfect companions for my needs, in addition to their intelligence and analytical ability. Great guard dogs, even if they do look like dust mops.

I prefer a pack of no more than 4, but last year there was Lhasa Apso at the local shelter, and I knew she would not be adopted and I didn't want her to be euthanized, so I adopted her. This is Weezie. A genetic nightmare who was dirty and matted and smelled like urine and barely had enough energy to walk, but she was happy and her tail was wagging. Turns out she had pneumonia, but I didn't know that until a week or so after I got her home. The shelter's Vet diagnosed her with "allergies." Plus she has some sort of congentical lung issue, and wheezes all the time. But she thinks it is normal, and I am not going to put her through surgery to remove part of her lung. She's just happy to be here - and thus my pack increased to 5.

Then, this past summer, a breeder friend posted a picture on Facebook of a gorgeous BLACK Lhasa Apso. I have a weakeness for Blacks. Within 15 minutes of seeing her picture, the breeder and I had negotiated that she was coming to California to live with me. What was I thinking? 6 Lhasa Apsos? I must be certifiable.

However, Willy and DJ are 13 and 12, respectively. They have 2-4 years more before I believe their quality of life will be such that I will need to ensure that they are not suffering. There will be a week-long Celebration of Life for each of them, with all sorts of special treats and enough pain medication that their last week will be pain free and they will be extremely happy before they go to Rainbow Bridge.

I will NOT keep one of my Munchkins alive if they are suffering because I don't want to lose them. Their comfort and well-being is what is important, not the loss that I will feel. My Munchkins are family members - not dogs who are left outside in the yard. They have rules to follow and they know the routine.

So in a few years, my pack will be back down to 3 or 4, depending on Weezie's health (she is 5 y/o). Heck, she could outlive all of them for all I know.

Here's the breakdown:

Willy, 13, Male, white/gold parti
DJ, 12, Male, black/white
Sophie, 5, gold sable
Weezie, 5, cream sable
Dancer, 4, black
Whisper, 1, black

All are spay/neutered at the appropriate age, depending on the wishes of the individual breeder. Some breeders have preferred that I wait until the dog is 1 year old so that the growth plates have closed. Others don't care. I will NOT breed any of my companion animals. I leave that to the professional and ethical breeders.

I also have 2 rescue cats. Well, 1 is a 2-1/2 y/o Calico female, named Chloe. She has been very vocal, meowing to me as soon as I arrive home each night. I recently decided that she was old enough and probably lonely enough that I could safely bring in a kitten that she would accept. Chloe is a very dominant and demanding cat.

Last Saturday, at the grocery store, there was a little black/white female kitten in a cage, needing a home. The granddaughter of the women trying to find a home for the kitten told me that I should name the kitten "Trixie," so that is her name. My Vet Clinic was still open, so I drove down the street and they were able to get Trixie and I in to see one of the Vets for an initial kitten exam. The Vet was very impressed with Trixie's healthy condition and said that she had obviously been an indoor cat. Trixie weighed 3 pounds. What a bruiser! She was given a dewormer and her first shot.

Chloe hated Trixie on sight and wanted to claw her to death. Trixie hissed right back at her and arched her back! Enemies. Trixie was crated in a large wire crate every night and while I was at work for the first 3-4 days. But within 1-1/2 days, Chloe had decided that Trixie was her baby and they now are snuggling up and sleeping together. Chloe has also stopped demanding attention from me and has not meowed for me once when I have arrived home. I'm sort of feeling rejected...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Judy and the Munchkins
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, totallyjudy!

Sounds like you have quite the menagerie! But we need to examine them all for cuteness --so if you have any pics to post, they'd be welcome!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Munchkin Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Welcome to the board, totallyjudy!

Sounds like you have quite the menagerie! But we need to examine them all for cuteness --so if you have any pics to post, they'd be welcome!
Thanks for the kind welcome! Pictures? Did someone say pictures? Ha!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/album.php?u=45457

Judy
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful pets you got there.....love the pic of the dogs dogs running and the cat with the head tilted.
WELCOME !!!!!
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a wonderful album, totallyjudy! Beautiful furbabies!!!! Thanks for sharing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."