Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM

Question Standard Poodles

Does anyone have a standard poodle? Do you groom it yourself? I'm slowly trying to learn to groom my own dog. Thanks Hope
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

I have a miniature poodle that I groom myself. I also groom my mom's toy and her neighbor's toy. I got tired of taking my dog to a groomer at 8 a.m., and not being able to pick him back up until 5 p.m. It's too long for my pet to sit in a cage and I just won't subject him to it anymore. I started about 30 years ago and I find it really rewarding. It's one-on-one interaction with my poodle and I think it's bonded us even closer. There are books and videos you can learn from. Another plus, you can groom them the way you like them. No need for ridiculous patterns. Take a look at my other thread titled "Meet Den-Den - not just another pretty face". You need to take time to build trust. I clip his face and moustache one day, maybe the tail and pom-pom the next, the front feet the next, back feet - you get the idea. Best advice I can offer is to not use a blade that clips closer than a #10 and stop when the clippers get too warm. When my clippers get hot, Den-Den gets a recess. I love standards too, but have never had one. Good luck!
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Smile

Hi Glasslass:

Stella lets me clip her face, paws, everywhere. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the Pompom on the head and tail. Right now she's where the bikini cut (body shaved short with pompoms left around the front and back feet) I just can't figure out how the pompoms are made.
Thanks Hope
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I scissor the top of Den-Den's head. It's not really a pom-pom. I comb the hair above his eyes straight down and then trim straight across his "bangs" to determine the length that will be fluffy, yet not bother his eyes. Then I trim above his ears to clearly distinguish the topknot from the ear. From there, continue to keep the cut straight across to his bangs so that it's a nice smooth line all the way across. I trim the back of the neck keeping the flow of the shape. I don't like it going straight across but leave it more diamond shaped at the back. Just scissor the top of the head so it's nicely rounded.
Standards and Miniatures have neat tails because they're left longer. Don't form a pom-pom on the very end of the tail. Let the pom-pom form around the tail itself. Just shave the base of the tail to where you want the pom to start. I brush it straight, then twist the hair in the pom and cut where you want the pom to end. Brush the hair in the pom all to one side and scissor it in a half round (actually more of an oval shape). Then brush the hair to the other side and repeat. I do this several times and trim anything that is sticking out from the established line. It doesn't have to be perfect! You only have to please yourself. Den-Den actually knows what his tail-tail is and when I tell him he has a beautiful tail-tail, you can actually see him lift it up proudly. His neck is dirty in this photo because he rolled in something right after I bathed and brushed him.
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Talking Thanks

Thank You so Much Glasslass. I followed your advice and she turned out really good. The tail I kind of messed up on but it turned out great. Nothing like taking a couple of asprin for my back though! LOL. It's alot of work. As soon as I figure out how to put a picture on I'll be able to show ya!
Old June 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad I was able to help. Keep working on getting a picture on. I'd love to see her.