Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Smile Cats and dogs CAN get along

I just had to post this pic I think it's so cute. Kayla has stuck her head in to be part of the kitty gang. Hard to tell but Momma Cat is licking Kayla's forehead, grooming her. Kayla has adopted the kittens, Mamma has adopted Kayla, so I have decided to adopt Momma, how can I not?
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Here's Kayla grooming a kitten.
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM

I just think it's so cute how they went from chasing and hissing to finally being friends
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Those are cute pictures. You should adopt them all. LOL You need them. They all look so happy together.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Kayla needs them! I don't think there's anything sweeter than dogs and cats together!
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:19 PM

It's a good thing the little ones already have a home together otherwise I would probably be keeping all three. I've always been around dogs and cats that don't like eachother, it's so cute to watch them get along, I never thought it could happen! If anyone else has pics of dogs and cats getting along you should post em.
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Those pics are adorable! Kayla is very beautiful and sweet too.

What a happy ending! The kittens are going together to what sounds like a wonderful home, and Kayla gets to keep her kitty!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:48 PM
banned user

I was thinking the same thing, keep them all. Oh they are all so sweet together, all the pics are great but I love the 3rd.. very nice
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Those pictures are adorable! The look on Kayla's face is priceless. She just wants to be included with the kitty gang! Glad she has a new momma to take care of her.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

omg

That's so adorable. I'm so glad that Mommy has fit in and you'll be able to keep her. Looks like the family is very happy!
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

WOOOOO HOOOOO. What great news, I am so glad your keeping Momma (are you going to be re-naming her ?)
I am sure Kayla and Momma would thank you if they could

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

That's pretty darn cute that not only do they get along but also that Momma trusts Kayla enough to let her near kittens.

It reminds me of Ottawa. If you are ever in Ottawa go behind the Parliament building. If you can't see them ask somebody where the cats are.

There is an outdoor cat colony there. There are around twenty cats and they live in these little houses and some volunteers take care of them. I have gone there three times and so far living with the cats - side by side - I have seen Raccoons, Skunks and Squirrels. It's amazing but really it only illustrates that when all your needs are met and there is nothing to fight over that everybody can get along.
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM

I saw all those cats in Ottawa a couple of years ago, they were very cute!

I'm not sure if I will rename Mamma yet. If a name comes to me I will, so far nothing but "Mamma Cat" fits. Maybe when I see her without her babies something else will come to me..
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Here's another picture of Kayla and her new cat. It is so strange to watch them interact, I have never seen a cat be so complacent with a dog before. Momma Cat lets Kayla push her around, and lie on her (like in the pic) and Momma doesn't do anything, just kind of goes along with it. Is this from friendliness or could it be from fear? Momma Cat's ears are forward in this picture but sometimes they are flat, I'm not an expert in cat language but this is a sign Momma isn't happy right? I just don't know whether to make Kayla leave her alone or not. But then Momma Cat does have claws and can make Kayla leave her alone herself and doesn't.. Don't know- it's quite strange!
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Here Momma Cat's ears are back, is this saying "get this slobbery dog off me"?. You can see the slobber where Kayla licked her face too
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Just be careful that Kayla doesnt' get too rough with the kitty. You can teach her "Enough!" in regards to the cat.

A big dog can seriously injure a cat without even meaning to. Or Momma could panic if Kayla lies on her like that, and could do serious damage herself to Kayla's face or eyes.
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM

Yeah I've been a little worried about Kayla getting too playful. I never leave her alone with the cats though, and when she starts getting too excited I make her leave. I just don't know when enough is enough though. Momma Cat seems to be putting up with so much lately I don't know when I should step in and intervene. I don't understand why Momma Cat doesn't swat or hiss or something? I think I've got a lot to learn about cat/dog interactions.. I grew up around dogs and know their language pretty well but just don't know as much about how cats communicate.. I don't think Kayla quite understands how they work either so I've got to figure it out and be the brains for both of us
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Momma may have been raised with a dog. From her behavior, it seems likely.

And some cats will NOT defend themselves and many are killed by dogs who start out just playing.

My Chloe loves all cats, but just to make sure she never gets resentful or jealous when I pet the cats, I link their names. Chloe knows the word "pussycat", so when I'm petting the cat I say "It's Chloe's pussycat".

She seems to like that.

I would not make Kayla leave as that might cause resentment towards the cat. I would teach her to "be nice" with the cat, and praise her when she is.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

What cute pics. And I just love Momma's paws !!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Cool

I have two cats and a dog, and they get along great! The older cat doesn't like the attention, from dog or humans. The younger one loves every bit of it. When we first brought Scoop home (cat), Sheba (dog) would carry him around in her mouth, just like it was one of her own. They usually can be found together, although sometimes they can get a little rough. Scoop always lets Sheba know when he's had enough and she'll back off.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Awwww how adorable! Are the kittens polydactyl too? I just love those "mittens!"
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:59 AM

One of the kittens is polydactyl, the boy

I have seen Momma Cat defend herself with Kayla, she used to all the time but she just doesn't anymore. It was a very sudden switch I wonder if it has to do with the fact she is in heat right now. Hopefully they will still get along after she is spayed!