Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Question new thirsty kitty

I hope this is the correct way to post--new thread?
hello, my name is Ozzy and I am a 5 week old kitten. I am happy to find a pet site with the right attitude toward pets! My mom Brenda is telepathic and is typing for me as it would be ridiculous to thinks a kitten like me could type!! I came here because I am having a problem with my drinking dish. Every time I would go to drink, I would stick my nose right in the water, sneezing and coughing, then run away. My otherwise loving parents have tried to colour the water with milk, but now I am so frightened I won't drink at all. Can someone older and wiser help me out here? I am otherwise very healthy happy kitten, I am fed dry food always in my dish and wet food x2 daily. Now I get more pouches of wet, wet food so I can at least have hard little balls of poo. (sorry for the language) Thanks for any help you can give,
signed newbies, ozzy and brenda
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Addicted to puppy

If you can get a syringe from a vet hospital (no needle) fill it with water and give him drops of water that way. Or put just a little water in the bowl, or try a water bottle like people use for hamsters and rabbits. Good luck!
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there little Ozzy,you are just a bit too young at 5 weeks,should still be with your mom.
You probably have not learned the art of lapping up water yet,but you will..only the tounge goes in the water,not the whole face
Maybe your mom can help you with a spoon,until you are old enough to figure out the right way.
Or put a little water in a saucer,so you can lap it up easier.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
-

Yes, Ozzy, you tell mom to just put a small amount of water down for you and pretty soon you'll learn how to do it right.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM

What about wetting down canned food so its runny. Get more water and a tasty dinner!
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:30 AM

cat frightened of drinking

[QUOTE=chico2]Hi there little Ozzy,you are just a bit too young at 5 weeks,should still be with your mom.

I am too young but they kicked me out and Brenda was kind enough to take me in. Thanks everyone!! Putting a plate on the floor with skim milk in it is working!! Bowel movements are a bit softer and a bit larger, but I still do not pee a lot. I was drinking water from Brenda's finger but she works so it was not enough. We will keep checking!! thanks again
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Do not give cow's milk to kittens! It will only make them sick and give them diarrahea which will further dehydrate them.

Much better to get KMR at the vet to supplement the food.

Give canned kitten food mixed with some warm water until it's smooth and easy to lap up.

This kitten should have been with it's mother until 8 weeks old. Too bad these people who bred it were in such a rush to get rid of it.

If you don't want it to grow up with a lot of behavioral problems, I suggest you get another kitten when yours is about 8 weeks old.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Long Term Member

Hi, as has been said, this kitten shoulda been with its mama until eight weeks at least... oh well...
How are things now?
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM

Thumbs up thirsty kitty update

as has been said, this kitten shoulda been with its mama until eight weeks-JessXx

thanks so much for your replies. The breeders are young and have finally fixed thier male after 2nd litter! I am so happy as the mom is a very tiny cat and both litters some have died. They wanted to keep this kitten untill I expressed an interest, I couldn't think of them having another unfixed male!!
Ozzy still will not drink very much but will lap up tuna water. I stopped giving milk as he only drank it for a couple of days. Could Ozzy be getting enough water from the canned "soup" that now he doesn't really care to drink??
He just got his second deworming junk-I will keep watching. Oh yeah, I cannot convince my husband the benifits of a second cat.--brenda and Oz man
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:01 PM

Tell your hubby that two cats are less trouble than one! It's so true, especially of kittens. When you're out of the house, they can play and chase each other instead of just one lonely kitten shredding the drapes out of boredom.

~LM~