Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

Question Food question

Hi Everyone! I wonder if you can answer a question re changing food for me.

When we got Sunny from the HS last summer, he was eating Whiskas and Iams (I think it was Iams - they gave us a bag of Iams when we adopted him). Anyway, we knew enough that we needed to put him on better food and I asked my daughter to choose. She choose Eukanuba (for his dry, 24/7 nibbling food) and TechniCal for his wet (my sister feeds her cat TechniCal so my daughter chose this brand for him). Anyway, as time went on and I read more and more here (and other places), I decided to change his food again (because nothing is too good for our Sunny Boy!! :love: )

I changed his dry first - to Nutro Complete Care. Sunny loved it and it was no problem changing it (I mixed his two foods at first and after about a week, switched him over completely to Nutro -- but when the foods were mixed, he mostly ate the Nutro). Great! That was easy. We did this about 4 weeks ago.

Wet food -- well, not so easy. We started three days ago. We're trying him on Wellness (LOL - my husband read the ingredients and asked if we could serve this as paté.... )

Sunny's not liking it at all. Mind you, it's only been three days. First day he ate about 1/2 of what I put out (he gets 1/3 or a can). Second day - just a few nibbles. Today - he didn't touch it. My husband suggested mixing it with his old (like we did with the dry) - but I'm not sure. Should I just go back to the TechniCal for a while and try again some other time? Have I tried changing his wet too soon after changing his dry? I don't like him not eating his wet food.

When we switched him from the Whiskas to the TechniCal - he loved the new food - he immediately went for it and that was that. So, I just assumed it would be that easy once again (I should know better -- I've learned that one should never assume anything when it comes to cats.... )

Any advice?
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:19 PM
<-----nut ball

From what I understand, you should always mix the food together a little first.
Old February 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

It's my understanding that if they drink enough water, they don't need as much wet food. Just get a good human grade food like Nutros, WEllness, Solid Gold...something from a pet accessory store, NOT a pet store, don't encourage them in ANY way And stay away from grocery store brands like Whiskas if you can,,this food is garbage.

Of course and then there's the opinion of the cats!! Or as we call them in my house "HIs Majesty, and Her Ladyship!!! LOL

Good luck!

p.s. just re-read your post and yes, you could eat WEllness as pate if you want: it's human grade food. You're on your own to match up a wine though!!!
Nutro complete care should be enough...IMO.