Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM

Question Seeking help for Kitty with complex health problems...

Hi everyone! This is 3KittyMomma in Vancouver, Canada, brand new person on the site, with one lovely wee 16 yr old tortie kitty named Susie with so many problems - ongoing and progressing renal failure, osteoarthritis - very serious/painful - at the base of her spine, frequent bladder infections, and seizures. Her vet prescribed pain med - Tramadol - has caused constipation and lack of appetite, so other things have been prescribed (Cisapride, Lactulose, Periactin - also called Cyproheptadine). Note: I routinely add pumpkin and Metamucil to all kitties food (moist only) in this household, just to keep everyone regular. Two other geriatric Kitties doing fine...

Recently I noticed Tramadol - in a pharmacy compounded liquid - was causing her great distress, so I discovered somewhere - - a company selling homeopathic remedies. So, after reading enthusiastic reports from Pet Moms and Dads on their site, I called them and got package of drops/herbal capsules for each of Arthritis, Seizures, and Constipation. We started a couple of weeks ago with just the Arthritis drops (2 drops twice a day) instead of Tramadol - now Susie is doing just fine, walks well with little pain, is much perkier, eats all her food and her coat has improved. And, bonus - the constipation issue has resolved itself. Am continuing Lactulose, Cisapride and Periactin for support, however.

I have several questions: 1) Should I start with the herbal capsules for Arthritis, and if so how should I do it? Cats are very sensitive to anything you might sprinkle on their food that changes its taste...a challenge.
2) Is it possible/appropriate for me to substitute the homeopathic remedy for Seizures for the Phenobarbital she takes twice a day? If yes, when should I start it and how? Could I stop the Phenobarbital cold turkey as I did the Tramadol or do I need to do it gradually? I would prefer to get her off these "big-gun" meds, to improve her quality of life. Any other suggestions here?
3) Can you think of anything preventative in nature to keep Susie from having frequently recurring bladder infections? We talk about cranberry juice for people, but somehow, I don't think so...

Thanks so much for all your help - it's much appreciated by both Susie and me - I have already learned so much by reading certain forums, although I understand very little about getting around this site. 3KM.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome 3KM! I have no cat experience but did want to say hello. We have some very knowledgeable cat parents on board and I'm sure some of them will be logging on soon to offer advice.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM

Many thanks for your welcome!

Thanks so much for your message, Hazelrunpack - I see you there in the picture with your kidlets - I'm sure you love them dearly and care for them exquisitely. I do look forward to hearing from Kitty Kat experts out there. I really have no idea about 99% of this site, but so far so good...
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi 3KM, and welcome to the board. Sounds like Susie has some pretty complex issues. I don't have a huge amount of experience with homeopathic remedies so I can't really help you there. My suggestion would be to try to find a homeopathic vet and get their advice on the whole situation. There's another member on this board, growler, who lives in the Vancouver area and takes her cat to a homeopath (her cat also has CRF). Perhaps she can give you some suggestions.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome 3KM,I could not even begin to advice you on how to treat your little girl,but admire your determination to find a solution for her,not that I would not do the same for any of my 3 cats.
A Homeopathic vet is a great ideal.
Whether you can stop the seizure-meds,is probably not a question we can answer,but Growler could give you some advice on Susies other problems
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Stopping meds should be discussed with your vet so you may not get answers to that question on this forum. Hopefully growler will be able to recommend a homeopathic vet for you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey