Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 6th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Question Mystery of the dissapearing kitten...HELP

Hi, this may sound like a very odd question, but here it goes.

My Cat, Shorty Blackwell had kittens about 3 weeks ago. She had three, and as the days passed, one kitten diddn't seem to be doing so well. When my mother went to check on the little kitten, he was gone. Mom searched the house upside down and inside out to try and find the kitten. She did have the window open the other day because it was warm outside.But I can't really see Shorty going all the way downstairs with it. What do you think of this? I have heard some people say that sometimes the mother will eat their young, if it dies, but I don't believe that.

I'd love to hear your input on this question. Please write back soon.

Kathryn Saunders -21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:27 AM
The Pit Bull Lady

Yep they do eat their young if they are not doing well. Check the cats feces. The mother also may have hid it to let it die.

Please get your cat spayed. You just helped kill 4 cats at a shelter when you let your cat have kittens. (4 cats that could have been adopted)

Please do not contribute to the pet overpopulation
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:20 AM

We just had the same thing happen with our kittens. They are 3 weeks old and doing fine we thought. They had been in our garage, but with the weather warming we decided to put them in a box on the back patio. We watched them all afternoon to make sure our 2 Golden Retrievers accepted them o.k. They were already used to the mother so everything seemed alright. The next morning we went to check on them and still o.k. When my daughter came in from school there were only 2 kittens. We searched every nook and cranny for the other kitten. We saw no evidence of foul play. No blood or remains. Could the dogs have totally eaten the kitten or the mother eaten it without a trace? We looked outside the fenced yard to see if the mother had taken it away, but nothing. Any clues?
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM

mystery of disapearing kittens

Is there another mother cat in the area ? Both my sister and I have had the experience of having kittens taken from their mother by another female cat. It got to the point in by sister's barn that we couldn't keep track of which cat was the original mother of which kitten. I would look into that possibility. Hope that helps
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM

No there is no other mother around that I know of. The brother of the mother lives here. Maybe he took it? I don't know. The other 2 are doing great now though. They are 6 weeks old and beautiful. Thanks for your input