Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:25 PM

Question Sneezing feline - sneezing cat - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Hi...can any one tell me why my male 1 yr old persian mix is sneezing?? He sounds like he has a nose full of snot. He will drink but not eat much. This just started today. I let him get on my bed to 'kat nap' and now he is not sneezing. Is he just using me???
Lesslynn
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

persians

you should have your persian checked at the vet. Because of the smushed in nose they are prone to nasal problems due to the space in their nasal passage being too small. Best to be sure that it's not a sign of something serious starting.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ditto that.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Most likely the start of an upper respiratory infection, which can be serious if left untreated.
Your vet will most likely prescribe a short course of antibiotics, but he needs to be seen to make sure that's what's going on.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:45 PM

Exclamation

I appreciate your advice. I have little more info to share with you. I have been searching the posts and ran across the 'inside/outside' cat post. My kitties are inside/outside' kitties. I have a small doggie door that they enter and leave whenever they please. They do 'their business' outside in 'my' flower beds or in grass piles that I have around my trees. We are on an acre of land. Everyone who has a dog has a fence to keep them in. (trying to pass a law where dogs cannot be kept on a lease or chain in a yard!!!! Thats sooo crewel) Anyway my 3 kitties are fixed, all males, they stay close to home...they may visit the neighbors to get petted but they are usually in 'electric can opener' shot and come running when its supper time. We live in south Alabama. We just had a bad hurricane in September and some of the houses close by got their skirting blown away....anyway....when I was brushing my 'pershee man' (Persian mix) I found a clump of insulation. We just had a cold snap from 70 degree weather to 23 last night. Maybe my kitty has insulation in his lungs???????????There are several mobile homes here and I'm thinking he has crawled up into the insulation to stay warm. I know how insulation can effect our lungs....what do ya think....still upper respiratory infection??
Thanks again for your time.
Leeslynn
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that would be all the more reason to see the vet. Tell him about the insulation possibility so he will have all the facts when evaluating this kitty. He will have the knowledge and expertise to figure it all out, but any information you can offer will certainly make it easier and quicker = less suffering for your kitty. Please keep us informed on his findings and her progress. Being a persian, she may be more susceptible to problems caused by the insulation.
This last year I have had respiratory problems myself and I have been amazed at the relief my doctor has been able to give me. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about medicines, but had no idea what is available when needed. I'm sure the same holds true with veterinary medicines.
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definately have him checked by the vet.It could be anything.Especially since he goes outside.

Also,I would be very careful with a doggie dog.I have heard many stories of other animals coming into the house.And I'm not talking about pets.......
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Thanks for all your advise. :love: Took Mr. 'Pershee Man' to his "V. E. T." Can't say the word...he hides ....He has a upper respiratory infection, probably brought about by the insulation. Got him a shot and he goes back February 1st if he's not better. The "V.E.T." Told me to keep him in the house....He stays inside during the night but has to go outside during the day...he lays on the back porch in his chair. He is lots better and chasing the birds again. He loves his brushing and face washes every day..he is going to expect this all the time now!!!
Oh.. Mona B.... The doggie door has its pros and cons....I have had a raccoon stick his nose in before...we scared him so bad, poor little raccon, he ran off and have never seen another one around here!!
Thanks again Leeslynn
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Back when I lived in a more rural situation, our cat was an in+out-door cat too. One morning before work I noticed his nose was runny, so I made sure he was inside for the day. Came home and he was sitting in the closet, hadn't eaten, grumpy & lethargic, poor guy!
Have no clue what caused it...probably some sort of virus, who knows. Antibiotics fixed him right up though.
Glad your fuzzy guy is feeling better!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:25 PM

Purshy Man has perked right up...no more sneezing. Today was raining all day...came into the house tonight soaking wet..... I dried him off, he ate his supper and took his place on our bed (daddy's side, of course). Have not heard a sneeze yet. Thanks for your advise.
Leeslynn
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

No, your feline is not using you. I suspect an upper respiratory infection (viral or bacterial) is the likely culprit. Felines that can not smell are reluctant to eat. Of course, environmental causes can also be found to present the same symptomology. I frequently use a combination of antihistamine, interferon and antibiotics to treat my patients that have a constellation of upper respiratory and eye problems, along with appetite suppression and fever.

If this is an intermittent problem (likely due to some environmental irritant), then oral antihistamine and intranasal sterile saline drops may be all that is required on an as need basis. In rare cases, we find foreign bodies in the nose/sinuses, and even polyps. Dental problems can also manifest this way.

If no improvement or worsening conditions over the next several days, then see your veterinarian.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Wink

Thanks Doc for replying. Evedently Purshy was having an alergic reaction to insulation. Brushing him and washing his face several times daily helped almost as much as the medicine did. I think maybe the attention I gave him kept him close to home (away from the insulation he was hiding in) and getting the rest he needed and keeping him warm did not hurt either.
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Question y does my cat sneeze?

hi,Ijust became the proud owner of a cat named penelope.We adopted her from the SPCA.she was the only one in a house full of abused and misterited cats to servive.When they saved her she had an lung infection.a big hi five to the SPCA ! Any ways im wondering if the treatment worked i hope it's not coming back.
(PS:Please reply if u can!!)
THANK YOU!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

did this just happen? or has it been happening for awhile?