Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM

My puppy has a twisted or sprained ankle

How do I go abouts treating a twisted or sprained ankle?

She got knocked down or took a corner too fast at the park and was limping at the end of the day, so she rested and when she woke up she was fine, no limping. Next day I took her out to the park and just from running for a ball she started limping again. Took her in and next day she looked fine, but she started limping after just walking.

Now she's a 5 month border collie puppy and I CAN"T get her to stay in the house and be calm, she NEEDS to be outside or even just playing, she's a very rambunctious girl that LOVES to run.

How do I go abouts treating this with a hyper dog? She's not in any pain by the looks of it, she can RUN fine she just limps when she's walking or trotting.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Unfortunately, the best treatment for a sprain is rest. At the very least, rest her totally (only trips out for 'business') for a couple of days and then start with short walks. Boycott the dog park for at least 2 wks. It's hard to do, but it's the best way to ensure proper healing.

Are you sure it's just a sprain? Is it a front or hind leg? How long has she been limping?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Oh it's definitely a sprain, she limps for about a few hours, once she's rested she's fine, It's on her front left, we've sat there and felt around and she LOVES it rubbed, falls asleep everytime my bf starts to massage her ankle, it's so ridiculous!

And it's not a BAD limp, it's just her not walking normal, she's putting her weight on it. There's no swelling or any redness or wounds.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are you sure it's the wrist and not the elbow? Typically, a sprain would exhibit some swelling at the affected joint, though the swelling could be minimal and not easy to spot.

We had similar symptoms in a setter pup that was eventually diagnosed with elbow dysplasia. It's a difficult thing to check, though--we found that regular vets are usually not able to see the telltale signs of elbow dysplasia. It takes a good orthopedic vet to get a good diagnosis.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM

I would also recommend a vet visit, to at least determine if it is a pulled muscle or sprain. A nine month old Border Collie I know had intermittent limping after playing and it kept coming and going, never really slowing him down, but it did affect his gaint. He was diagnosed with Bilateral OCD (elbow displaysia) and is now on a second consultation with an ortho vet. Its possible still that it could be muscular, but best to be safe than sorry. Rest is what has been recommended, and maybe look into a glucosamine supplement once you get a dignosis if its muscular or skeletal! Good luck!
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkycat View Post
How do I go abouts treating a twisted or sprained ankle?

She got knocked down or took a corner too fast at the park and was limping at the end of the day, so she rested and when she woke up she was fine, no limping. Next day I took her out to the park and just from running for a ball she started limping again. Took her in and next day she looked fine, but she started limping after just walking.

Now she's a 5 month border collie puppy and I CAN"T get her to stay in the house and be calm, she NEEDS to be outside or even just playing, she's a very rambunctious girl that LOVES to run.

How do I go abouts treating this with a hyper dog? She's not in any pain by the looks of it, she can RUN fine she just limps when she's walking or trotting.
Hey there - I know this was a long ways ago but how did you go on with your border - I have one 8 years old and a working sheepdog - he probably slipped on a coddy or something but he's showing signs just like yours - what was wrong and what did you do - thanks
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Niamh07, I would try some Arnica from the health food store for any type of a sprain.