Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM

I need a live trap for cats

We have a farm with way too many cats.I was able to catch most of the females and had them spayed.However there are some that live upstairs in the barn and are quite wild. If a female has a litter of kittens up there, they don't see humans until Mother brings them down in the barn so they can eat on their own.These not so young kittens won't let a human get near them. So I have tried to trap them, only I can't find a trap that works.The kittens don't weigh enough to set off the trap. I have had three traps,pretty much the same and I gave them away!!!! What kind of a trap will do the job and where can I get one. Some farmers think cats can live on milk alone and I know better,so I buy cat food for them.I think they have been telling the neighbor cats there's food over here..There are getting to be too many so I'd like to stop the production.If anyone knows of anything I can buy to catch these cats I would so appreciate it.

Thanks, Nbahr
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I've heard great things about the Tru-Catch gravity traps. They come in various sizes and have a small animal version for squirrels and kittens.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Havahart or traps similar to them are what I use. I have never had any issues catching kittens with mine. The trick is to make it hair trigger so the least little jar on the tripplate makes it trip. You can do that by adjusting the bar so it is just barely set. And thank you for doing your part to control the pet population. Are you going to try to adopt some of the kittens to new homes? If you can get them when they are fairly small they are quite tameable.

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-a...traps/easy-set

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!