Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I wish I had known all of this years ago I was offered a trio of breeding HN, very fancy colors (high red coloration, can't recall the name right now, not "albino"). I refused, thinking they were hots Well at least now I know
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As for venom in colubrids, I remember reading somewhere, though I can't remember where, that there have been occasional cases of children getting bit while feeding their snakes that resulted in swelling of the hand and arm and the kids feeling ill--all of which points to some sort of substance being secreted by the snake, whether it be venom or just something that causes some sort of an allergic reaction. I've never seen any study that proved the venom theory or analyzed the substance, though
Considering how few cases there must be of that, I'd assume it's more likely to be an allergic reaction to the saliva.
The other option is that a bacterial infection was present after the bite, which could definitely cause the symptoms described.

Quote:
I wish I had known all of this years ago I was offered a trio of breeding HN, very fancy colors (high red coloration, can't recall the name right now, not "albino"). I refused, thinking they were hots Well at least now I know
Yup, they're harmless. Not only that, but very docile and easy to keep.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As I recall, they ruled out infection for some reason (which my feeble memory hasn't retained ), maybe because the reaction was so fast? I wish I could remember where I read it in the first place

My memory is like a rusty sieve...the big particles stick to the rust but the details fall through

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's a Milksnake that was caught by the tail under my front door threshold today. It must have somehow gotten inside the threshold, or behind some siding and maybe when we were going in and out it got it's tail pinched. At first it looked like it's tail was caught in the door but when I opened the door to let it out I realized that it was under the threshold, pinched between some trim and siding. Seemed to be no worse for wear when I released it. It's another one of the species at risk that are being tracked so I reported the sighting.
Attached Images

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Beautiful Gail! Absolutely gorgeous
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I took some other shots that should have turned out better but when my daughter got the camera out of the case for me she accidentally turned the dial so it wasn't on the right setting and I didn't realize that until after I had let the snake go. Most of the pictures turned out fuzzy. These were the best I got.

This snake was about 18" or so. A few weeks ago I had a much bigger one in my basement. Unfortunately it was caught (and killed) in a mousetrap. It was 28"-29" and was more red than brown coloured. It was so vibrant it must have just shed it's skin.

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh wow =D I miss having snakes around ^^ But they are gorgeous, aren't they!
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Gail,what a beauty,I am glad you told us how long he is,in the pics it looks like he could be 10feet long
I think snakes are wonderful creatures,but I am not sure how I would react with one at my front-door,I certainly would not kill one,probably just watch it slither away,more of afraid of me than I of him.
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a beautiful snake, Gail! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad it survived its encounter none the worse for wear. I'd love to know how it got into that predicament, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That's a beautiful snake, Gail! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad it survived its encounter none the worse for wear. I'd love to know how it got into that predicament, though.
They spend most of the daytime hiding and are known for entering farm buildings etc. because they eat mice. My guess is that it found a crack to get in and was resting there somewhere and we disturbed it going in and out the door. Probably it tried to leave and got pinched when someone stepped on the threshold. Good thing I'm not afraid of snakes, there was no way to get it loose without handling it.