Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old January 30th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm your man

This gorgeous black and white fellow, aged about a year, is eager to be sprung from the confines of my bathroom and get on with his life. He is a big, mild-mannered boy, always up for lap time or a game, and very interested in other cats. In a less restricted environment, perhaps with another feline for company, he would be a happy camper indeed. He has been vaccinated, neutered and wormed.

February 2 -
It is urgent that this guy find a home. In my bathroom, he has so little space to move around, only a few square feet, the bathtub being occupied by yet another cat, who hisses and spits at him. Occasionally he will look over the side of the bath with an expression on his face that is quite clearly saying "Are we friends yet?", but is always rebuffed. Poor Arthur.

Very occasionally, my own tom (equally hostile) falls asleep in a closet and doesn't mind being shut in, at which point I can let Arthur out into the apartment for awhile. But it is an untenable situation for all of us.

Feb. 9
This guy is going from strength to strength. He is beginning to love human company, plays like a demon and eats like a horse. Nothing gets him down. What a great pet he would make.
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Any news on Arthur..did you find a home for him?
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Good Morning!

Unfortunately, no. Had a nibble earlier this week, a woman with a house and a yard. She actually came round to see them (I have two rescues, simmering in the bathroom). But her husband wasn't enthusiastic and I've heard nothing since, so I'm assuming she wasn't able to persuade him. The husband's name is Attila, so I'm making all sorts of evil associations!

I can't tell you what a beautiful fellow Arthur is. He has a gorgeous thick coat and is very snuggly and active. He's beginning to complain a little.

So many suppliants, so few people willing or able to take them. Sigh. In the meantime, if you hear of anybody... I'd like to avoid warehousing him in a shelter or at a vet's; he doesn't need another transition.

Thanks for your interest.
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I am sorry to hear that..they are beautiful cats,wish I could take them.
I agree,Atilla does not sound like a good cat-owner prospect
I already have 3 male cats,one on antidepressant,a territorial problem,any more would only add to his stress.
At the moment I don't know of anyone,most of my friends have several cats or dogs.
Maybe they could get used to your other cat,introducing them very slowly...it took a long time for my two males to accept a little foundling I have.Chico still hates him,but only goes as far as hissing at him,no fights...
So,good luck to the kittys,they already have some luck,in you caring for them..
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't give up yet! Arthur is too beautiful not to get a home!

If we can get 14 yr old cats, 3 legged cats, deaf cats and feral cats adopted, we can get Arthur a place!

Our adoptions clinics will be starting up soon, and if you can bring him he's sure to get adopted - all of our cats do!

The next event is March 27, in Hudson. Depending on how many cats we have to bring, it may be possible for you to bring Arthur if you can find transportation.
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's hoping fate will intervene before then! If not, count me in!
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,Badger has two cats in the bathroom,if you scroll down on the Adopt a cat"thingy'there is a big beautiful black cat too.
I take it Badger lives in Quebec too...
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Anita - I've got both cats listed on my Petfinder site for Badger.

Badger, is there a reason why the cats have to stay in the bathroom??

And I just have to tell you that if you send them to the shelter, their odds of getting out alive are very very slim.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe Badger has his own cat,that's the problem..
I was hoping they could adapt to each other..
I agree Lucky,shelter is not a good idea,unless it's yours
HS here in Oakville has a no-kill policy,they would be safe here,but probably not happy,the bathroom sounds better
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

The Montreal SPCA is so swamped that they put down any cat that their vet deems sick or too aggressive to be adopted. Animals that pass muster end up getting sick sooner or later since in such a large, stressed-out population disease is endemic. To their credit, they tell you this up front.

Montreal seethes with abandoned animals, particularly around July 1 when people move and - oops! - forget to take their beasts with them.

This is Oscar, who I rescued from the alley last year. He was adopted by a Romanian couple who had to leave their cat behind when they immigrated to Canada. He is much loved.
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,he is a beautiful cat...the situation at the SPCA sounds horrific and sooo very sad,but I guess it would be the same in Toronto,maybe not with the killing part,I am not sure..I only know about my local HS.
I am hoping with Luckys help they'll find homes,she is a wonderful animal-lover as you probably already know.
Good Luck to Arthur and his friend!
I keep calling you a he,cause Badger sounds masculine,but maybe you are a female Badger
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

The Montreal SPCA does nothing to promote or rehome their animals, adopts them out INTACT and has a horrific kill rate.

I would never, ever take any animal there for any reason whatsoever!!

I have had volunteers from the Laval SPCA contact me to try and save dogs that were going to be killed. This is ridiculous and outrageous, considering they have far more resources and money than does Lucky Rescue, which is non-profit and composed of 4 people.

Badger if you bring Arthur to our adoption clinic you will need to spend the day to tell people about Arthur, and to let us handle the adoption, since any problems will reflect on us.

I have a dog crate we can use for him.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,since SPCA is supposed to save animals in distress,what the Montreal SPCA is doing goes against all animal-cruelty laws,what's their problem?
I am in total disbelief and horrified,do people in Montreal know about what goes on?
I am going to write OSPCA and ask them about this,it really,really bothers me..those poor animals,God,it's a never ending story,isn't it?

Does the head of SPCA of Canada know whats going on?
It makes me cringe to read about it...

Badger,you said you rescued your cat from a Hungarian couple who left him behind before emigrating to Canada,did they leave him behind in Hungary?Or did I missunderstand?
Old February 14th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

No, they emigrated here and had to leave their cat behind, with her parents I think. Anyway, they were pining for it and decided to adopt here. They went to the SPCA and were totally freaked out by the scene up there and couldn't really afford the fee. Then they saw my ad. Lucky for me, and for Oscar.

PS. I'm an (old) grrrl, by the way. Badger is my tom.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
since SPCA is supposed to save animals in distress,what the Montreal SPCA is doing goes against all animal-cruelty laws
There ARE no anti-cruelty laws in Quebec! This is what we are yelling and petitioning the government about. No laws against puppy mills either, and since the new laws enacted in Ontario, the millers have moved to Quebec!

The most shocking abuse is just a misdemeanor here, maybe punishable with a fine.

The Montreal SPCA kills nearly everything that comes through it's doors. You won't even find any pics of pets for adoption on their main website, cause they kill or sell them after 3 days, and have even killed dogs who were wearing ID tags.

Read this letter from a reseacher...scroll down to "Fix the SPCA" and you'll see what (and who) the problem is.
Here
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky and Badger,I had no idea,I thought all SPCA's were there to help not kill...How is this possible? People donate money to this?
I give money every month to the OSPCA...to help animals not kill,it's outrageous and inhumane.
We do have an anti-cruelty-law,but the punishments for puppy-mills etc..are nothing but a slap on the wrist.But at least they are shut down and the animals are taken care of an adopted out,some of course too damaged and have to be put down.
The media here is a big help to open peoples eyes and a new bill C-10 has been introduced(tried for ten years)for stricter sentences but it continues to be put on the shelf in the senate.
Here,if I find a lost cat or dog,I can feel comforted knowing our local HS will do their outmost to find the owner.The cat/dog will have two weeks of evaluation and vet-care before being put up for adoption if the owner is not found and if not adopted will stay at HS indefinetly,not ideal,but better than being killed..
I know one big tom,who's been there for 5 years,but he's the king of the castle and is only in a cage at night,like many others.
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,what is their web-site?
Old February 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

OH my! Someone must be getting nervous with all the negative publicity, public outrage and demands for accountability.

The SPCA actually has a Pefinder site, with 12 dogs and 2 cats listed. This is new. Well, 2 cats out of the countless number that is brought in is kind of ludicrous, but better than nothing at all I guess. Or is it?

Montreal SPCA
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Lucky,I wrote them an e-mail and my OSPCA,not that I expect any results but I needed to vent,it just make me so angry..
I did not read anything on their web-site,knowing what I know from you and Badger.
I always thought the animal-cruelty law was Federal,not just for Ontario.
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

If they bother to answer you at all, which I doubt, expect to be hearing how the Laval SPCA adopted out 700 cats and kittens last year - INTACT.

So if just 100 or so of those 700 have kittens (and I know the number will be much higher) there's another 700 being brought into the world. I wonder how many of those will end up in the SPCA?
Old February 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Lucky,I did get an answer from MR Barloti,he wants to talk to me and he is denying that anything wrong is going on..I sent you an e-mail,hoping you'll answer and I'll forward it to you...
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I must say that my SPCA is amazing.They are fantastic here.

ALL cats/kittens dogs/pups are all fixed before they can go home.Shots are done.Vet checked.Microchipped and licenced.

They have volunteers come in and also some classes also.They take the dogs for a walk and play with them outside.They take the cats/kittens out and play with them.

When someone comes to adopt,you get to take the dog/pup outside and spend time with them.And with the cats/kittens you get to take them in another big room.

If you have another pet,ypou bring the pet in to meet the new one.To see how they interact with each other.
They also train there too.

They are amazing people there.
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Mona,the same here at our Oakville HS,they have a no-kill policy and will do everything in their power to save any animal..I've even seen them cure a sick pigeon.They have many volonteers,but who would want to volonteer if they kill most of the animals,like in Montreal?
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

We at Lucky Rescue often talk with great envy about the workings of the humane societies in Ontario.

Anita, I read the letter you got from Mr. Barnoti. Typical - he says nothing. And he will NEVER admit any animals are killed.

Frankly, talking to him is a waste of time. He is as smooth and evasive as a politician.

A rescue here just sent two of their dogs to the Kingston Humane Society. Seems they have a good chance of getting rehomed there.

Why did they not send them to the Montreal Humane Society, do you think?
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually Lucky,I have no desire to talk to him,it would not change anything,he probably just want some names.
I also wrote the OSPCA and if things are as bad,maybe they have somone who can investigate,but I suppose they already know.
This person Barnoti has been there for 20 yrs,probably made himself some nice pocketchange.
It puts a dark cloud over one of my favourite cities to visit and have some good food...we've been to Montreal and Quebec city a few times.
Maybe with a little media attention and a few complaints they'll get a little nervous,after all they do get tax-payers money and private donors.
It's just sooo frustrating knowing someone who is supposed to help animals is not doing their job and there is not a darn thing I can do about it.