Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old October 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Diarrhea kitten just spayed help!!

My kitten was just spayed on Thursday and she has had diarrhea quite a bit through yesterday and today. Even just now my poor baby girl is having diarrhea for the second time in the last 10 minutes. She was not this bad yesterday. She is taking a half of a pain pill once a day (started them yesterday). Is this normal? I thought it may be normal for a few days so I didn't panic and call the vet today. Now they are closed tomorrow and Monday (Holiday). I'm wondering if I should have called them today now I feel so bad and guilty

Any advise? Could this be from the operation or pain meds? Please anyone???
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Catlover2

It's a possibility that the pain medication is causing the diarrhea since it happened right after her spaying. How long is kitty to stay on the pain medication? Is kitty active, eating and drinking well? the important thing with diarrhea is to keep her well hydrated. If she's not drinking and becomes lethargic, call your vet immediately or take her to an emergency vet, as young kittens can go down fast. She should not be drinking any milk, as this often causes digestive upset. Some people have had good success with firming up stool by adding some pure canned pumpkin to the food, about 1/4 tsp. not pumpkin pie filling which has added sugar. Hope things work out for you and kitty. Let us know how it goes.
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:50 PM

Re: Kitten with Diarrhea

Yes she has been eating quite well and drinking water through the day. I think it's the 20mg of Tolfedine (pain meds) she has been taking once a day - (1/2 pill). I grind it up into a powder and put it in her food. On Thursday early evening when I got her home after the spay she seemed fine. She ate a little and drank some water. Friday morning I gave her 1/2 a pill crushed up in her food and then by late afternoon she had some diarrhea and again in the evening - and boy does it stink so bad lol poor baby girl. She literally runs to her litter box to make sure she gets in it on time. Saturday early morning she had more diarrhea and at one point she had no control and I saw some on her bum and I cleaned it off - it was a yellowish colour. She was fine after that until after she ate (pill crushed up again in the food). By late afternoon she had the diarrhea again which she controlled this time and later in the evening she had it 2 more times within about 10 minutes of each other. She seems good now (it's 12:45am) she's sleeping. There are 2 pills left for her to take (she gets a half each morning) last one she takes will be on Monday. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the diarrhea goes away after that. I'm just not sure if it's the eating after surgery or pills that is causing this.
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would stop the pain pills immediately. They are not necessary for the healing. How is her incision looking?

Not all cats can tolerate it and it can be hard on the kidneys and liver and this is a sign that she is not tolerating it well.

From this website:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/tolfedine-6...blets-can.html

Note

Gastro-intestinal, renal and hepatic function should be monitored periodically in animals on a long-term therapy. Treated animals should be monitored for the occurrence of side effects. Adverse reactions considered typical of NSAIDs include gastro-intestinal ulceration, renal toxicity and hematological abnormalities. NSAIDs present a greater risk in animals under 6 weeks of age or in aged, debilitated or sick animals. Tolfedine should be used with caution in these cases; careful clinical monitoring is advised. In the event of gastro-intestinal signs (e.g. loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or melena), or adverse drug reactions (e.g. lethargy, behavioral changes, abnormal bleeding), treatment should be discontinued.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I would be taking the kitten to see a vet right away. Your kitten may be eating and drinking, but the amount of d'rea that it is having, your kitten will become dehyrdated very fast. And like catlover has stated, kittens do down fast.
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Re: Diarrhea

Arghhh - I just typed out this whole long message and by the time I was trying to upload it the system timed me out so I will keep this short.

I have discontinued giving my kitten her pain meds to see if this helps with the Diarrhea. She has been eating well and drinking quite a bit of water. I did look up the info on the meds like the one post showed but I think some of you are over reacting a little. She was only given 4 pills - she is to take a half a pill once a day for 4 days. The info that one poster showed is for longer term usuage of the pills which I can see may cause the kidney/renal problems or even failure. I don't believe my kitten is taking enough to cause that type of damage but I'm not a vet. I will monitor her today/tonight and see if her not taking the pill today makes a difference. My vet is closed on Sundays and since it's Thanksgiving on Monday they are closed then as well. If my kitten seems to be in any type of distress I would certainly not hesitate to take her to an emergency clinic.

Thank for you input - have a great day.