Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

New Clue Emerges After Puppy Found In Plastic Wrapped Box In Dumpster

New Clue Emerges After Puppy Found In Plastic Wrapped Box In Dumpster
Thursday March 26, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff
Who would do this? It's a question with a double meaning for Toronto Police.

They're trying to trace the heartless person behind a very disturbing find in North York on Thursday.

A cleaner working at an apartment building at Yonge and Finch around 7:40am heard a noise coming out of a dumpster and decided to investigate. What he found stunned him.

It was a cardboard box wrapped entirely in plastic, with a little Lhasa Apso dog trapped inside. Police aren't able to say if someone was trying to asphyxiate the animal or simply abandon it. But they want to track the owner and ask those questions.

But Toronto Animal Services worries the motive may have been sinister. A spokesperson tells CityNews.ca that the box was completely taped up and the dog had no air, likely meaning it wasn't in its death trap for long.

It was found at 23 Lorraine Dr., and what may be a key to this investigation is that the disposal unit isn't outside. "The dumpster is actually contained inside the building," reveals P.C. Angela Rumney. "It's in a separate room inside. And it's a separate trash bin. Not [a] garbage chute area."

That would appear to indicate the owner lives there or at least has access to the interior. But cops aren't ruling out anything yet.

Luckily, the janitor found it in time, and outside of needing some water and being dehydrated, the adorable puppy is fine.

Since we first posted this story, CityNews.ca has been flooded with email from concerned viewers more than anxious to take the cute little pup home. That won't be possible yet, because legally the city needs to hold on to it for at least a full week while the hunt for the owner and the circumstances behind the grim discovery continues.

After seven days, you can call Toronto Animal Services at (416) 338-PAWS (7297) to find out if the puppy will be put up for adoption in a loving home.

Disgusted police officers suggested that's the route whoever left it there should have taken in the first place. "They could have done this the right way by taking it to a shelter," condemns Rumney. "Then it would have been safe and put up and given to the right people to take care of it."

P.C. Wendy Drummond tells CityNews.ca charges could be laid if they find the owner, but she's encouraging the person to come forward before investigators locate them first.

Their best clue is the animal itself.

It's black and white and vets used its teeth to estimate its age at about four months old.

If you know anything about this case, call (416) 808-3200 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at (416) 222-TIPS (8477).

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33232.aspx

stupid owner! PUPPY!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Diamondsmum; March 26th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Holy crap, what a horrible person. :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Unfortunately with the economy we will probably see much more of stuff like this. There has already been a large increase of pets turned in. But what happens when people can't afford the surrender fee? Its sad; and horrific.

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 26th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my god! At least drop the dog off outside of a rescue - don't kill it! SHEESH!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
-

omg this is horrible , I can't believe people !
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I really hope they can figure out who did this. Pretty stupid to dispose of an animal inside your own building. I'm sure a neighbour will recognize the dog or noticed that a person had a little cute dog then suddenly didn't have it anymore, I hope someone comes forward.

He'll be safe now, they'll find him a great home.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope to god they don't have children!!!!
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM

My rescue had a call from a lady that found 3, two day old kittens in a box by the garbage in a Montreal apartment building. We managed to place them with a great veterinary clinic and they are bottle feeding them. The kittens are doing very well, thanks to these peoples' dedication. Nothing surprises me anymore, the more I deal with people, the more I love animals!!!
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

We received a cocker X 3 month old puppy in a box taped, no holes found in an auto park. A little girl walking from school found the box and she ran home to tell her mom. Luckily mom brought the pup to our vet who called us to take over.

These stories are endless. People are pathetic. Economy or not - shelters and rescues are sentitive to what people can and cannot afford.
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM

I bet they'll never catcht the guy who did this. They never do. At least the puppy will find a new home. So that's the good news.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo Kram View Post
I bet they'll never catcht the guy who did this. They never do. At least the puppy will find a new home. So that's the good news.
No, Margo. The puppy may never find a new home.

Maybe this particular puppy will, given all the attention it's received and the fact that Toronto is still a fairly affluent City with people able to adopt puppies and dogs, but let's not ignore the obvious.

People throw away animals all the time Margo. That is the sad commentary on what have become as humans ... as a civilization.

Not great is it?
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM

This story has a happy ending for Charlie

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/616722
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you SIL for the update - how uplifting and a wonderful poem so tenderly wrote.

Goes to show you ---- them cops do have heart!
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Sil, thank you so much for the update...nice to read at this Holy time of year.
and for those who are not so lucky.

What a lovely poem that Sargeant wrote too.

Nice way to start the day!!!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!