Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

found cat found? *S*

Woman finds hungry calico cat hiding in $27 couch

SPOKANE, Wash. - The mysterious mewing in Vickie Mendenhall's home started about the same time she bought a used couch for $27.

After days of searching for the source of the noise, she found a very hungry calico cat living in her sofa.

Her boyfriend, Chris Lund, was watching TV on Tuesday night and felt something move inside the couch.

He pulled it away from the wall, lifted it up and there was the cat, which apparently had crawled through a small hole on the underside.

Mendenhall contacted Value Village, where she bought the couch, but the store had no information on who donated it.

So she took the cat to SpokAnimal CARE, the animal shelter where she works, so it could recover, and contacted media outlets in hopes of finding the owner.

Sure enough, Bob Killion of Spokane showed up to claim the cat on Thursday after an acquaintance alerted him to a TV story about it.

Killion had donated a couch on Feb. 19, and his nine-year-old cat, Callie, disappeared at about the same time.

-
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Next time I go garage sale-ing - I'll be checking more closely. How weird is this story???
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ask onster! I think the night she joined the board she was trying to get Bunduk out of a couch! Her folks had left her in charge when they went out and came home to a couch in pieces!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to say I am concerned at the fact, that this guy was given his cat back without questioning him. I am sorry, but you do not know that your cat is living in the couch.I see big problems here. It is clear that this person can not look after their pet.

ACO22
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh for Pete's sake ACO22! In my house it's a regular thing for my kitties to climb into the bottom of my couch or the back of the recliner and sleep. It's nice and warm. No one can find them and they are happy. I for one would not like it if I was told I couldn't have one of my much loved kitties back because I was human and made a mistake. On this one I think you are way off. Sorry.
At least he cared enough to claim the cat. How many people would do that!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I had read about this elsewhere, and the man WAS looking for his cat. The fact someone alerted him about the story on TV, tells me he'd been talking about having lost his cat. So he likely was asking around.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Come and work with me 14 Kitties for a week. You will have your eyes open wider. As for the claiming...yeah he came and claimed it. I just picked up a cat a few days ago. Cat was chipped. Call the owner. Owner was like "oh, I guess I could come down today"..but he did come and claim it.

ACO22
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Not about to start a debate. If I made a statement like that without knowing the facts I hope someone would set me straight PDQ. He was looking for his kitty. I am glad it worked out for him. As for claiming it.... stats show only 1% of lost cats get claimed. I am ecstatic he was among the 1% who manned up and claimed his.
And as for going to work with you for a week.....I have my own issues in this neck of the woods. I don't get paid to do your job. In fact, I don't get paid to do the one I do every day. I have the greatest respect for all HS workers who do a good job. Be it officer or not. But forgive me if I choose not to take you up on your offer.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 17th, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Ask onster! I think the night she joined the board she was trying to get Bunduk out of a couch! Her folks had left her in charge when they went out and came home to a couch in pieces!
I remember that thread, but had forgotten it was Bunduk should have thought it would be him

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

ok.....curiosity is peaked...now I HAVE to find that posting about the couch *L*
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the bottom line is there was no ill intent. Everyone and I mean everyone has made bad judgement calls, or errors etc. There is something called forgiveness. In the same breath, I understand the frustrations that AC officers must feel. In saying this (another 'same breath') not everything is done or not done with bad or malicious intent. We are all human and to be human can be to be stupid.

The guy stepped up and that is really what counts.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
ok.....curiosity is peaked...now I HAVE to find that posting about the couch *L*
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43666

Poor Bunduk.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

lol lol

so its not just my guy then

that thread brought back memories L4H.........back when I called him hazel here too.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

and ya I can see a mistake like this happening...cats get themselves in the weirdest places.

Glad they were reunited.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
lol lol

so its not just my guy then

that thread brought back memories L4H.........back when I called him hazel here too.
Yes, but your guy does this and so much more! He is such an entertainer.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

*LMBO* thank you L4H, oh my goodness, that was and wasn't funny *L*