Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

New bills in store for California

I wish more places would have laws like this.

~*~*~*~*~*~

L.A. Unleashed

Cats, dogs and farm animals stand to benefit from California lawmakers' new bills
5:04 PM, March 10, 2009

Cats and dogs like these stand to benefit from new bills introduced by California state lawmakers Following last year's passage of Proposition 2, state lawmakers are pushing other bills that could have a big effect on California animals -- farm or otherwise.

One such bill, introduced by state Senate Majority Leader Dean Florez (D-Shafter), would outlaw the common procedure of docking dairy cows' tails except "during an individual treatment, emergency or operation, if the treatment or operation is performed by a veterinarian for veterinary purposes" with proper anesthesia.

Another new bill, introduced by Mike Eng (D-Monterey Park), would make animal hit-and-run a crime, punishable with fines and possible jail time. The bill would require a driver who's hit an animal both to stop and try to help it, and to notify either the owner or animal control. Our colleagues Eric Bailey and Patrick McGreevy report:

The assemblyman said he wrote the bill out of respect for the central role pets can play in family life, noting that he got the idea from a constituent who lost a beloved family dog.

He said he hopes to "start a dialogue" and set a precedent, alerting drivers that they bear responsibility for aiding an animal they've hit.

New York has a similar law, as do Germany and Singapore.

Eng finds it troubling that California makes it a misdemeanor to flee an accident involving property loss -- a dented fender, a crushed mailbox, a crumpled planter box -- but there is no law against a hit-and-run involving a pet.

"You can wantonly hit an animal and leave and face no consequences," Eng said. "An inanimate object has more rights."

Other bills introduced include one that would crack down on dogfighting, one that would make pet adoption tax-deductible, and another that would impose curbs on puppy mills. Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael) has proposed, in legislation that would piggyback Prop. 2, that all eggs imported into California from out of state be from cage-free hens.

--Lindsay Barnett
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM

wanna hear another good story go to the thread called question
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow AG,that would be great,if it's passed
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, people think that they can just hit an animal and drive off and that's the end of it. They need to realize this is a living creature that deserves help.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the bill also contains a provision to fine the owners of pets that were running free and got hit on the road.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Not likely, but hey this is a step in the right direction. People need to stop seeing animals as disposable things you can just throw away or kill at your discretion.

Old March 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I hope the bill also contains a provision to fine the owners of pets that were running free and got hit on the road.
Wouldn't that be a Godsend!!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Last year I saw a dog get hit not once, but twice by speeding cars while I was out hiking along the Grand River (Cayuga). It was horrible The owner got out and took the dog to the vet but I'm not sure if she survived or not. This rule is definately a step in the direction.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that's horrible! That poor dog. A couple of weeks ago when I was at the vets, they brought in a dog hit by a car as well. I felt so bad for him. I don't think he made it.:sad: