Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM

Seizures

Hi everyone! I am new here, first post actually. Not a great way to start, but I really would like some advice from anyone who is going through or has gone through the same thing. I have two Dachshunds. Mika and Theo. Mika is 5 and Theo is 4. I rescued Theo when he was just 7 weeks old. I instantly fell in love with him. Sadly, two days after I rescued him, he became very ill. I brought him back to the shelter that I had rescued him from as they had told me their vet would check him out. He stayed the night and when I called the next day, they had not really done anything for the poor pup. I went and got him and brought him to Mika's vet right away. After numerous tests, turned out that Theo had parvo virus and coccidia. I was devastated. My vet treated Theo right away and after a few bumpy days, vet said that he would make it. Day after Theo came home, he was back at the vets and being treated for Kennel Cough. Week after that, Mange. A really really bad case of Mange. We managed to get through everything and a few months later, Theo's health was much better and he was a happy pup. A very energetic, vocal, pup.

He was vaccinated only after all this issues had cleared up and was brought up to date with them. When I got him he had received his first round of puppy shots but we had to wait for the rest till he was better so the vet started over. The next year (2009) Theo had his regular shots ago, except for Lepto. In 2009 like the previous year, I used Revolution to prevent heartworms, etc. Started in May and went to November. November 29th, 2009 Theo had his first seizure. It only lasted about 30 seconds, and I was not sure what it was as it happened so fast. Fast forward to June 2010 and Theo again had a seizure, all paws flat out and head bobbing from side to side. I freaked out. It was terrible to watch him. Since he was on the floor, I sat down and placed my legs on either side of him and calmed told him everything was going to be okay. Again, lasted 30 seconds and right after, he was up and running as if nothing had happened. He did not pee, and he was lucid the whole time during the seizure. Called the vet, told me to watch him closely, and if it happened again within and 6-8 week period we would have to look into treatment. Theo had another seizure 12 weeks later. Again, was over quickly and he was up and going right afterwards. Again the vet said to watch him closely. Theo went 5 months without another one and this time it lasted longer, but this time he did pee on the bed but not other issues like drooling, or anything else. Again 2 months later another seizure.

I'll fast forward to this past December 16th. Theo had a seizure that seemed much longer then the others, I was watching the clock but stopped counting to make sure he was okay. Each time Theo has a seizure he is lucid, and awake and aware and listens to my voice. This time, I thought it was over and then he started another brief one. This time, he was panting afterwards but otherwise okay. I had then started keeping a bag of crushed ice in the freezer to apply to his mid back when a seizure starts. Here is the link as it would take to long to explain why I do this. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...om/icepack.htm He went another 4 months to this past April 9th and had another one. Again he was panting, and I thought it had stopped and he started the shaking again for a minute or so. I just read recently that this might be a Status epilepticus seizure which are life threatening. I called the vet right away and since he was already out of it he told me to come in and see him when I take him in for his rabies shot and blood test to make sure there are not heart worms, or lime disease, etc before he starts his Revolution again.

So, (so sorry its so long) I am worried about a few things, one of course is the seizures, I will ask the vet do another cbc but they always come back normal. I am afraid to give him a rabies shot because if his immune system is not strong it might do some damage and I heard that vaccinations can cause seizures, as well as revolution prevention etc. Not sure what to do. I thought it was the revolution as the first one happened 2 weeks after using the product then he didn't have another until June, 2 weeks after using the product again. I am not sure what it is because in 2008 he used this product with no issues. Is there any advice that could be shared here as what to do?? My dogs are walked twice daily and never left alone outdoors. They are often out with me, love car rides in their car seat but are never alone outside. So do I skip the rabies shot, do I try another medication other than Revolution? I do love my vet, he saved Theo's life but sometimes I feel that I am asking him too many questions (even though he answers them all). I do a lot of research and sometimes there are things I mention that he has not heard of. Gosh this is so long I will stop now. Please if anyone can give some tips or info I would truly appreciate it. I love my dogs so much. I just finished a second round of chemo and these dogs have been at my side the entire time and I would give anything for them. Breaks my heart to see Theo suffer even though he seems so normal right after the seizures. Oh one more thing, I am going to get the vet to start some kind of meds but don't want anything to toxic are there such drugs out there that help with seizures but are not damaging to the liver and such? Thanks so much.

Last edited by marko; May 1st, 2012 at 04:03 PM.