Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty has lateval luxating pattella

http://www.2ndchance.info/patella.htm

Marty has tricks knees and it's making it difficult to lift his hind legs to pee. I am taking him to a vet Monday and it's going cost me a lot of $$$! The office visit is $140 , $200 per x ray and surgery for both knees about $3,200 Has anyone had this kind of surgery done on their dog and did it help your dog in the long run? I called another vet any they wanted $4,000 for surgery and that does not include the cost of x rays and office visit. I wish it did not cost damn much to bring a pet to the vet.
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Barkingdog I know 2 people with little dogs that had this issue. In both instances they did not do the surgery. Both dogs are living normal doggie lives. They do both however have the odd bought of discomfort because with the trick knee it can sort of pop out while running around etc. It doesnt seem to happen too often either. Both dogs that I knew were yorkies, one mini and one standard and it is apparently very common in that breed??

I guess it would depend on how bad the dog is but both of these folks said the vets were not big on this type of surgery either??

Good Luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Barkingdog I know 2 people with little dogs that had this issue. In both instances they did not do the surgery. Both dogs are living normal doggie lives. They do both however have the odd bought of discomfort because with the trick knee it can sort of pop out while running around etc. It doesnt seem to happen too often either. Both dogs that I knew were yorkies, one mini and one standard and it is apparently very common in that breed??

I guess it would depend on how bad the dog is but both of these folks said the vets were not big on this type of surgery either??

Good Luck!
Marty is a mini poodle mix and I am not sure what he is mixed with. He is having a hard time lifting his hind legs to pee and it taking him forever to pee.
I will not feel like standing outside in the winter for Marty to pee. The poor dog. I found a vet that will do both x ray for about $200 and the office visit is only $55. They could tell me how bad Marty's knees are and I can decide what to do. I wonder if knee braces will help keep his knee from popping out of joint. I just read some reviews for the second place and some where not too good.

Last edited by Barkingdog; November 7th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck tomorrow. I know some folks have used a hind leg brace for their dog. Don't know if that is in place of surgery, for post surgery healing or what the cost is but you could google.
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor little guy. I will be interested to hear what the vet thinks should be done.
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend reminded me about an another vet office , I forgot about the office I took my last dog there and they're good . Marty will be going to this vet on Monday ,they had an appointment at 5:00 PM Friday but I can't drive when it getting too dark . The vet will see how bad Marty's knees are and if he will need x rays . If Marty does need x rays I will to put him on fast as he will have to put under for the x ray he will also need a blood test to see if he healthy for this. A friend of mine has a friend that use to work at this vet office and she said if Marty knees are not too bad the groove in his knee joints could made deeper so the joints will stay in place. I am hoping this will be the case as it would not cost as much and I hope Marty will be able to recover faster. It is a good thing I can pick Marty up and carry him outside to do his business . Thank you guy. I will let you what the vet said after I see him on Monday. I only wish I could Marty to swat down to pee , it would be a lot easier than trying to lift his hind leg over and over . He just can't get his leg up the way he want to . I think he does not want to get pee all over himself.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I took Marty to the vet today and the vet said Marty joints pop outward instead of popping inward like it does in most small dogs. It's unusual for this to happen with small dog joints to pop outward according to this vet. The vet popped his joints back in place and they popped right out of place. So popping his joints in place does not work. Marty does not the support in his knees to lift his leg to pee and this is making it hard to pee like a boy dog.
The joint groove is not deep enough and he will need surgery to made the groove deeper and both knees need surgery. The vet is going to let me know in a few days how much the surgery will cost. I may have find away to help hold up Marty rear end so he will have more support. I been looking for a harness that I could use but not have not found one yet.
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

A cheap way for now is a towel or a scarf and just place it under the mid section and hold it there. Good Luck and give Marty a gentle hug for me please!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
A cheap way for now is a towel or a scarf and just place it under the mid section and hold it there. Good Luck and give Marty a gentle hug for me please!!
I was trying to find the leash I had from my last dog , your idea it good too.
I wish he would swat like girl dog but Marty really hate to pee that way. I hope the vet will quote a better price than $3,200 or $4,000 for the surgery.
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry about the knees, that's really awful when they are in pain, and surgeries are so expensive

When my boy was having back problems (we thought it was a knee at first), I used a harness for the front end, like the comfort flex harness, or the webmaster, and being able to hold some of that pressure helped some. I made one of these by cutting a duffle bag, but I wasn't strong enough to use it (max was 80 lbs): http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=11896 I think they have some for the back end that go around the hind legs too, but I don't have the link handy.

I hope that the vet has good news about the price!
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
I'm so sorry about the knees, that's really awful when they are in pain, and surgeries are so expensive

When my boy was having back problems (we thought it was a knee at first), I used a harness for the front end, like the comfort flex harness, or the webmaster, and being able to hold some of that pressure helped some. I made one of these by cutting a duffle bag, but I wasn't strong enough to use it (max was 80 lbs): http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=11896 I think they have some for the back end that go around the hind legs too, but I don't have the link handy.

I hope that the vet has good news about the price!
80 lbs. is heavy, Marty only weight 17 lbs. I use a cane and have Marty on a leash all time so I am trying figure away to have a harness long enough so I can lift it up a little to give Marty some support when trying to pee. I really
need one more arm , so I'll have one to hold my cane , one to hold the leash and an extra arm to hold up Marty rear end.
The office visit was $57 .60 for the , that is a lot better then $140 so I hoping the surgery will be less than $3,200 or $4,000. I would have to bring Marty for checked up and that will cost more $$$. Damn , I wish I could find that money tree my dad planted!