Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:57 AM
banned user

Exclamation Help!!!

Hi,

I have a husky / german shepherd x . She is a year and a half. And I was wondering if someone may help me with this issue I have:

My dog has a problem scratching her face and eyes, and she usually scratches untill she bleeds. (I'm taking her to the vet next week by the way). She doesn't seem to have any skin problems. I bathe her every two weeks. She gets lost of excercise, as I take her biking when I come home from work.

(On a side note, I clocked her running at 46 km per hour so far )

So what could cause this besides habit?

Does anyone know?
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM
banned user

One thing I have to clarify:

She doesn't bleed all over her face. She just scratches so that it shows around her eyes....
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

bathing her often could make her worse, id ease up on teh bathing

dont bath her unless she is dirty or excessivley smelly

it may jsut be dry skin??

good thing your taking her to the vet, be sure t update us!@

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

She could have some kind of allergy. This time of year alot of pollen is in the air. I would take her to the vet but you could try some anti itch cream (don't get any in her eyes! ) and see if that helps. I would also not bath that much - it dries out the skin and destroys the natural oils in the dogs coat. Good Luck and let us know what the vet says!
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Too much bathing

I agree that the bathing could be an issue. I use a spray shampoo on my dogs when I need to rinse them off. It's 4 litres of water, 1/2 cup human shampoo for grey hair (blue shampoo) and 1/2 cup liquid glycerine soap that you can get at he pharmacy. You mix it all together and put into a spray bottle and spray the dog then towel them off. You should always avoid the face though. Sounds like an allergy issue as well though, so ask your vet about some benadryl capsules (from the drug store, much cheaper) to help with the itch.
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM
banned user

But I know for a fact though, that human shampoo is a high irritant to dog skin, and so is too much of glycerine soap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer
I agree that the bathing could be an issue. I use a spray shampoo on my dogs when I need to rinse them off. It's 4 litres of water, 1/2 cup human shampoo for grey hair (blue shampoo) and 1/2 cup liquid glycerine soap that you can get at he pharmacy. You mix it all together and put into a spray bottle and spray the dog then towel them off. You should always avoid the face though. Sounds like an allergy issue as well though, so ask your vet about some benadryl capsules (from the drug store, much cheaper) to help with the itch.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Way too much bathing goin on there!
Use cool damp cloth to wash her face off and thats it! Nothing on it.

She could be itchy for an allergic reason as well either to environmental allergies or something she's bathed in.
Check her bedding area or where she sleeps a lot, rewash in fragrance free detergent and no fabric softener.

Supplement her diet to keep her skin healthy by giving fish / fish oil capsuls.
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM
<-----nut ball

huskys are prone to dry eye. Are her eyes dull at all? My dog rubs his eyes because he has dry eye. Do you see a whitish gunk sometimes in the eye? If so, that is the "solids" in regular tears. With dry eye, the liquid part is too low or missing, so just the solids go in the eyes. Ask the vet for a Schrimer's Tear test just in case.
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others.You need to back off on all this bathing.Every 2 weeks is WAY to much.And it's true.Your dog is loosing all her natural oils in her coat.

Could you have gotten the shampoo in her eyes?If so,the shampoo could be causing her eyes to irritate.If she is not scrating any other part of her body,then maybe this could be the cause of the scratching.What type of shampoo do you use on her.

And never use human shampoo on dogs.

I have a GSD.And I definately don't give him a bath every 2 weeks.

Please keep us posted as to what the vet says.
Old June 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
banned user

I do in fact see this "solid gunk" sometimes. So it may be as you say. What is that tear test you speak of? And what do you mean by dull? - > Her eyes are half coloured (one is half blue, half brow, the other has a blue speck in it)....

Have you had this happen with your dog? What is the solution, and what would/could the vet do?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
huskys are prone to dry eye. Are her eyes dull at all? My dog rubs his eyes because he has dry eye. Do you see a whitish gunk sometimes in the eye? If so, that is the "solids" in regular tears. With dry eye, the liquid part is too low or missing, so just the solids go in the eyes. Ask the vet for a Schrimer's Tear test just in case.
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Too much bathing. And of course most likely allergies. Perhaps even allergic to the shampoo that you are using - I can't use botanicals myself - and I also am allergic to Benadryl. Consider also the bike route that your follow to determine any allergens - plants etc.
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot

Our shepardX scratched his face on whatever was available to him until he had rubbed the fur off of the end of his muzzle (it shone like black patent leather!), and his lips would bleed.

I researched this A LOT on the net, and though the vet said it was allergies, or a skin condition, it ended up being an indicator of milignant melanoma (sorry for the horrible spelling). I mentioned this to her and she dismissed it.

After about 4 years of face rubbing - or as we liked to call it "nose picking" - he had a tumor appear OVER NIGHT on his gums... it was the size of 1/2 a golf ball! He was comfortable for about 1.5 months after the tumor's appearence, and then we had to do the hardest thing EVER and make him eternally comfortable. :sad:

I hope that this is not your case, but I sure wish I would have been supported by the vet to catch his sickness early enough to attempt to fight it.

Good luck, and lots of love.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
--Mark Twain
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:31 PM
banned user

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that is truly a stupid story. It has about as much relevance to my original question as apples to oranges. I'm sorry about your "loss", but I also don't like that for any question or concern anyone may raise there is someone who has a very negative and disillusioned point to make.

Thanks for your two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraxp
Our shepardX scratched his face on whatever was available to him until he had rubbed the fur off of the end of his muzzle (it shone like black patent leather!), and his lips would bleed.

I researched this A LOT on the net, and though the vet said it was allergies, or a skin condition, it ended up being an indicator of milignant melanoma (sorry for the horrible spelling). I mentioned this to her and she dismissed it.

After about 4 years of face rubbing - or as we liked to call it "nose picking" - he had a tumor appear OVER NIGHT on his gums... it was the size of 1/2 a golf ball! He was comfortable for about 1.5 months after the tumor's appearence, and then we had to do the hardest thing EVER and make him eternally comfortable. :sad:

I hope that this is not your case, but I sure wish I would have been supported by the vet to catch his sickness early enough to attempt to fight it.

Good luck, and lots of love.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxMan
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that is truly a stupid story. It has about as much relevance to my original question as apples to oranges. I'm sorry about your "loss", but I also don't like that for any question or concern anyone may raise there is someone who has a very negative and disillusioned point to make.

Thanks for your two cents.
Must you be so rude? She was telling you her experience with a dog scratching at it's face, how is that irrelevant to your question? And even if it didn't pertain to your question, a simple 'okay thanks' could've worked just fine.
Did you see anything rude about her post? Or did the 'Good luck, and lots of love' throw you off?

Last edited by Sneaky2006; June 29th, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Performance Spaniels

I saw lorax's story as relevant. It was about face scratching.. have you looked into the possibility of it being cancer, or anythign similar that would make the dog uncomfortable? You asked for help and people are trying to give you answers from their lives.. guess people should stop trying to help.

You've been increadibly rude in return though..

Good luck with that.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Sneaky. I was getting realy to reply but you beat me to it. Paradox, your comments were totally uncalled for. All to often a seemingly unrelated condition can in fact be a symptom of a much more serious condition. For example, a slight limp diagnosed as a pulled muscle - but is really calcification of all discs in a pup's neck requiring immediate surgery or full paralysis. Next time, perhaps you should consult a vet.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
<-----nut ball

you should go to the vet and get tested for dry eye. It's a small strip of paper they put in the eye for 30 seconds. How far the tears soak into the paper is an indicator of the tear production. If hardly any tears soak into the paper, your dog has dry eye. Only a vet can diagnose it. Prolonged dry eye can cause permanent damage so get it tested ASAP just in case. Not saying for sure this is it, but it's worth testing for.

yes, my dog has dry eye. He gets lubricating gel 3-4 times a day, and medicated drops to help increase tear production twice a day. So far one of his eyes is still pretty bad but the other is doing well. Even with lubricating gel, he still could go blind very easily with the dry eye.

Here is a helpful website:

http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/dogs/kcs.htm
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:23 PM
banned user

Quote:
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that is truly a stupid story.
So....what would be the RIGHT way to take this?

Lorax's story was certainly more relevant to the issue than your comment about the dog running 46km per hour.

Did you maybe just come here looking for someone to blame your breakdown on, rudeboy?
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that is truly a stupid story. It has about as much relevance to my original question as apples to oranges. I'm sorry about your "loss", but I also don't like that for any question or concern anyone may raise there is someone who has a very negative and disillusioned point to make
What? "Tell me what is wrong with my dog, but please nothing bad"??? How do you not take "that is truly a stupid story" without offence? You're saying her dog dying is a stupid story? Are you ill? Seriously, are you ill? Why is loss in quotes? I seriously think this entire thread should be deleted. That's one of the most offensive and hurtful posts I have ever read.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:54 PM

One word, TROLL!! Ban him!

Seriously, who other than a troll comes to a pet lover's forum and posts such rude remarks about a senior member's dog passing away?

ParadoxMan, you really need a lesson in compassion and kindness. Loraxp was telling you how their vet dismissed something LIKE THE DOG SCRATCHING THEIR FACE
Quote:
My dog has a problem scratching her face
, (and you don't see the relevence?) and telling you to be sure if the vet tells you the same thing, to maybe research it a bit further.

I agree with Prin. That is one of the rudest posts I've seen on here in a long time. Either delete, or lock it in my opinion. He doesn't deserve our help after that.

Good luck with your "dog" ParadoxMan, if you really have one. Oh, and BTW, no one cares how fast your pooch can run. That's the most irrelevent thing I read in this entire thread, and you posted it!! That's apples vs. oranges to me.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Wow I have to agree with Prin. This thread should be toasted. That was totally uncalled for.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:58 PM
banned user

P.S- Sorry for your loss, Loraxp .
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:37 AM
banned user

Sorry Loraxp, I got too wrapped up in the rudeness... I am also sorry for your loss. :sad:
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I was a bit stunned,the"stupid story"was a very sad reality...for Loraxp..sorry for your loss!
Anyone asking questions on this Forum will get comparisons,that is how we get hints on what could possibly be wrong,makes us not totally ignorant when visiting the vet.Not always pleasant to hear,but always useful.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Smile Loraxp Thank You

I just want to say thank you. Shannon has been rubbing her muzzle for months now, and it was attributed to allergys as well. After I read this thread last night, I saw her doing it again against the couch cushions and checked her. She has 2 bald spots right under her nose, above her lips, small but there nonetheless, no hair left whatsoever, and also under her chin. I've got a call into the vet for an appointment today(they're not opent yet, left message) and I'll tell them your story and get her checked for melanoma.

Better safe than sorry! THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY, you've maybe saved my 9 year old GSD. Will keep you updated.

for your loss

Last edited by shannon1233A; June 30th, 2005 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM
banned user

I am actually going to the vet shortly. And thank you for your advice. I am going to ask the vet about that because it is possible.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
you should go to the vet and get tested for dry eye. It's a small strip of paper they put in the eye for 30 seconds. How far the tears soak into the paper is an indicator of the tear production. If hardly any tears soak into the paper, your dog has dry eye. Only a vet can diagnose it. Prolonged dry eye can cause permanent damage so get it tested ASAP just in case. Not saying for sure this is it, but it's worth testing for.

yes, my dog has dry eye. He gets lubricating gel 3-4 times a day, and medicated drops to help increase tear production twice a day. So far one of his eyes is still pretty bad but the other is doing well. Even with lubricating gel, he still could go blind very easily with the dry eye.

Here is a helpful website:

http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/dogs/kcs.htm
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM
banned user

Wink

And the rest of you -> Gimme a break. There is something called freedom of speech, I did not insult anyone nor call anyone names. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. Whether you agree with me or not - makes very litlle difference to me.

You are posting your 'replies' in a forum. An open forum for discussion.

Remember, just because you disagree with what I say doesn't make you right
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM
banned user

Boy you are quite the little winker.

You may not have called anyone names, but that doesn't make you any less RUDE!

Good luck with yer "dog".
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Long Term Member

Look, Paradoxman, you are very rude. And I agree the little 's are uncalled for, and if you think for one minute that its better to do that than call people names, you are VERY mistaken. If you think that this forum is for bashing other members you are mistaken AGAIN. I do think your dog needs to get to the vet. Another thing I want to say is about the running thing, how relevent is that??? HER STORY WAS VERY USEFUL AND IF SHE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THAT I'D SAY "OH THATS SO SAD, I SHOULD LOOK INTO THAT" because you really should look into that. HOW RUDE... and to a senior member.
I think you should be banned or say sorry AT LEAST!
I can't begin to imagine what she had to go through, how rude of you to say that.
ANother thing, freedom of speech doesn't mean you have to be rude to people who want to help you.
AND ANOTHER THING ABOUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH, SHE ALSO HAS A RIGHT THERE TOO!
So SHUT UP AND LEAVE. I really think we should get rid of the thread and poster.

You should go to the vet and ask the questions you don't want answers to THERE! IM SURE THEY'VE SEEN YOUR TYPE B4...

for your loss... loraxp,
I hope you are alright!
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:00 PM
banned user

I am also sorry for your loss LoraXP, I know if I were you and someone spoke of my Suzy's death that way I would have went wild!

Your story was relevant and nobody should be rude to you. I often associate other's stories to my own experiences and tell the story to put my two cents in, or possibly help. I would be hurt if someone spoke to me that way... though you shouldn't be because in Heelers words he is in fact... a troll!!!
Closed Thread