Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old November 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Toronto Humane Society officials arrested

Just saw this article in the news and thought it was very interesting.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1378385/

Hopefully something good will come out of it for the animals.
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG SIL,I should not have looked at those pics:sad:
Here I was ,before all this came about,thinking THS was a good place.the only thing I did not like was the cat-free-for-all they had a few times each year
I hope they all have to serve jailtime,the vet lose his license etc...how could any vet treat animals this way
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG that makes me sick. I contributed monthly donations to the THS for many years - I stopped a while back when this stuff started coming out.
These people should be put in a cage and forced to lay in their own excrement, totally ignored and not medically treated. They wouldn't last a day and how long did some of these innocents suffer?

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Very disturbing pictures indeed.
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Sorry guys...I just read the article but didn't click on the picture file...:sad: Now I wish I hadn't.....
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How sad :sad:. I just can't fathom why they would keep some of those poor pets alive. What was Tim thinking :sad:

As for the dirty cages, I have to say that there are not volunteers around 24/7 in the shelters to keep cages clean all the time. They do get dirty and it doesn't matter what shelter you go into.

My fosters Malcolm and Matilda would not use the litter box and would poop and pee all over the place and their cage was filthy before it was cleaned.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

he was thinking numbers and wanted a low euth rate.
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

That just makes me sick! How could they do that to those poor animals!!! I sure wish we still had stoackades! Put them in those and let the whole city throw stuff at them!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
NorthumberlandView.ca

Media Release from the OSPCA

Search Warrants Executed for Toronto Humane Society in Animal Cruelty Investigation

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 26, 2009) - The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) executed search warrants for the headquarters of the Toronto Humane Society (THS) at 11 River Street, Toronto, Ontario, and one private residence. The warrants were issued in an ongoing investigation into animal cruelty at the THS. Members of the Toronto Police Service provided assistance.

Five people named in the search warrants are being arrested and charged with criminal offences based on the contents in the search warrants, which were executed after 3 p.m.:

Tim Trow, THS President, will be charged with Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence (2 counts), Cruelty to Animals (2 counts), and Obstruction of a Peace Officer (3 counts).
Gary McCracken, THS General Manager, will be charged with Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence (2 counts), Cruelty to Animals, and Obstruction of a Peace Officer (3 counts).
Dr. Steve Sheridan, THS Head Veterinarian, will be charged with Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence and Cruelty to Animals.
Andy Bechtel will be charged with Conspiracy to Commit an Indictable Offence (2 counts), Cruelty to Animals, and Obstruction of a Peace Officer (3 counts).
Romeo Bernadino will be charged with Conspiracy to Commit and Indictable Offence (2 counts), Cruelty to Animals, and Obstruction of a Peace Officer (3 counts).
All of the above, as well as the THS Board of Directors, are also being charged with five counts of animal cruelty, a provincial offence under the Ontario SPCA Act
The charges stem from an investigation that was launched in early 2009 in response to allegations of animal cruelty. The OSPCA conducted the investigation with the help of private investigators from The Investigators Group under the authority of the Ontario SPCA Act, 2009. Under the Act, the OSPCA is responsible for enforcing animal cruelty statutes in Ontario. It is also responsible for overseeing animal welfare shelters such as local humane societies.

"This is a difficult day for the Ontario SPCA and the Toronto Humane Society, but it is necessary to protect the lives of animals," said OSPCA Chief Executive Officer Kate MacDonald. "We realize that the THS is capable of providing an important public service, but it could not fulfill its responsibilities until this action was taken.

"Our first priority is the safety of the animals currently in the THS facility. Our team of veterinarians will assess their health and take appropriate actions. We believe the THS can become an important animal welfare facility again in the near future with effective and responsible management," Ms. MacDonald added.

A media availability will be held in front of the Toronto Humane Society after the search warrants have been executed.