Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old December 16th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

Schnauzer Fencing

We have discovered that Jimmy, our 5-month (almost 6-month) old Mini Schnauzer does NOT like the deep snow. Snow has only just arrived in our neck of the woods and Jimmy has been miserable going outside for his duties (but he still does … good dog ). Not only does he hate the snow, but just one 30-second outing can result in enough snowballs on his legs to create huge puddles in our house when they melt!! NOTHING sticks to Shelby, our Lab.

So, my husband actually started shoveling the grass!! He has shoveled an area at the bottom of the deck approximately 20’ x 20’, as well as paths to all doors and the garage. Jimmy will NOT leave the shoveled areas.

Shelby romps and does her duties in the snow. She sees no need whatsoever for such cleared areas!! So, when Shelby is out romping in the snow, Jimmy waits patiently along the snow bank for her.

So, no need for invinsible fencing for Jimmy!! A few strategically placed snowbanks and we have our “schnauzer fence”.

(Footnote: Our dogs are NEVER left outside unattended.)
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

schnauzer fencing

I feel for your little guy. I just purchased booties for my Pyrenese, a supposed snow dog, because she can't walk more than 10 feet without getting snow balls in between her pads. She really suffers when she walks. I haven't yet rec'd them in the mail, but I hope she can adapt to them. You may want to try something like this on your dog, and maybe a cool looking doggie coat to keep her warm and toasty. Some dogs just need a little more "fur" to help them adapt to the climate changes!
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
AmInaL

That is hilarious. It's funny how some dogs develop their little vices like that. For some strange reason ur Toby is petrified of carboard boxes (to my knowledge he has never been terrorized or haunted by one) So one day, when I wanted to mop my kitchen floor, I put a cardboard box between the dining room and kitchen, and there he sat, watching and waiting patiently behind the box, (which was small enough to allow easy access on either side but he wouldn't go past!) until I was done. Strange, but funny.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzerpezzer
You may want to try something like this on your dog, and maybe a cool looking doggie coat to keep her warm and toasty. Some dogs just need a little more "fur" to help them adapt to the climate changes!
We DO have a coat for Jimmy. It's made of brown "faux" fur and has a very high collar (he has an unbelievably LONG neck). He looks absolutely ridiculous in it, but LOVES to wear it !! It's amazing out warm he feels when we take the coat off. I'll try to get a picture of him in it and post it. It's too funny. I'm convinced Shelby laughs at him too!!
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

schnauzer fencing

It will be nice to see the fashion statement that Jimmy makes! Who knows! The next Zoolander! I can't wait to try to fit new boots on the 110 lb. pyrenees. This should be good for a laugh!
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM

got to love those schnauzers

I have a 10 year old mini who hates rain and snow, but I found a sweater and the boots are just perfect, worse mind you than dressing a child, but it stops the snow balls from building in her paws, as when this happened Roxie could hardly make it back to the door, now she goes out, runs her face in the snow, does her business and comes in, once the boots are off, her feet are dry the sweater keeps her warm, now to find a way to keep her face covered up, lol, she comes in looking like Linus, a pure white face from rubbing in under the snow, I cant ever imagine not having a schnauzer, they are perfect companions. take care
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Does this look familiar?
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG! That is the absolute first time I've ever seen "snowballs" on a dog. I was visualizing little balls of ice forming between the pads, but had no idea what you meant by snowballs. You really do mean snowballs!
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee3041
I have a 10 year old mini ... I cant ever imagine not having a schnauzer, they are perfect companions. take care
I agree....Jimmy has been the best. Intelligent, easy to train and a real love bug :love: Post some pics of your mini...I'd love to see them.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Does this look familiar?
WOW, that IS bad !!

Those snowballs (and yes they ARE snowballs) are awful....and no use trying to pull them off. The more you try, the more firmly implanted they become (snowballs then become iceballs). They just have to melt naturally.