Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM

How do you know when your male cat is ready to be neutered?

Brackley, our 5.5 month old kitten, is this the right age? He has had all his shots and all the Vet said last visit was that he would see us when we bring him in to be neutered? I don't want to do this too soon. Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:27 PM

I think you can trust your vet on this one! With females spaying early is a good way to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. With males, neutering early can help prevent them to get into spray marking in the house. 6 months seems pretty standard for both sexes.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM
AmInaL

We do feline neuters as early as 6 months at the clinic where I work.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:56 PM

I think your kitty is at the perfect age for neutering. Good for you for doing the right thing!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:38 PM

Neutering

If his little dingleberries are starting to show you can neuter him! Traditionally it's done at 6 months.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM

i adopted all of my cats as kittens - all 9 weeks to 16 weeks old!! they were all spayed and neutered and healed before we brought them home. (got them all from the humane society)-i just always assumed it was ok at that age...any comments?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA
If his little dingleberries are starting to show you can neuter him! Traditionally it's done at 6 months.
ROTFLMAO!!! "dingleberries"!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Standard practice is to neuter as soon as you can find them.

I use to agree with this. The urinary tract is the last to mature. I have found male cats neutered later have a less problem with blockage and cystitis. (Around 9 months of age or so...if you can tolerate the smell of male urine in the litterbox) It is timing....let them mature but snip before they get any ideas.

Cat neuters are so simple, what's the rush.

My .02 cents.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

My vet will neuter at 6 month but prefers to wait until the cat is 8 month,which I did with all mine....she said something about their heads ,that it stunts the growth of their heads somehow,probably an old wives-tale
But seeing the HUGE cats at HS,who were neutered at an older age,there might be some truth in it
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:07 PM

i'm glad i read this thread. as i mentioned in update of louie's first appt today, it looks like he is somewhere around the 7 month mark.
is it really true about the urinary tract? if so, i want to give my baby the best chance to avoid these problems. his litter box really stinks - i clean it out EVERY day and it just smells really strong to me. will neutering diminish this somewhat?
he's sleeping in the closet right now - something he's never done before - maybe the trauma of the day - although he did cuddle up to me earlier so i know he's not too p. o.'ed at me (the vets asst said if he was really p'ed off he might spray just to let me know what he thinks..) thank god he seems to be ok. :love: lol
am gonna make appt tomorrow for the neutering :sad: although i know it's the right and ONLY thing to do, i hate that it'll hurt him. :sad:
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie's mum
i'm glad i read this thread. as i mentioned in update of louie's first appt today, it looks like he is somewhere around the 7 month mark.
is it really true about the urinary tract? if so, i want to give my baby the best chance to avoid these problems. his litter box really stinks - i clean it out EVERY day and it just smells really strong to me. will neutering diminish this somewhat?
he's sleeping in the closet right now - something he's never done before - maybe the trauma of the day - although he did cuddle up to me earlier so i know he's not too p. o.'ed at me (the vets asst said if he was really p'ed off he might spray just to let me know what he thinks..) thank god he seems to be ok. :love: lol
am gonna make appt tomorrow for the neutering :sad: although i know it's the right and ONLY thing to do, i hate that it'll hurt him. :sad:

The litterbox smell will go away within 2 weeks of his neuter. He is of a good age right now by what you describe. He is becoming a tom.

The "big head" post prior must mean the cheeks or chows of a tom cat. This is meant to be extra cushioning for when a tom cat fights for a female. An intact tom will have a "big head"....and battle scars among other throphys.

Added note..he will be okie dokey with 1 hour of surgery.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely, go ahead and have him neutered, you will have far fewer problems. It is a simple operation, same day pîck-up. I have neutered several males and never had any sequels (infections, etc.) He'll be starving when he comes home - after fasting almost a whole day - so you can welcome him with a big dish of his favourite food and lots of lovin'. GOOD cat.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Standard practice is to neuter as soon as you can find them.

I use to agree with this. The urinary tract is the last to mature. I have found male cats neutered later have a less problem with blockage and cystitis. (Around 9 months of age or so...if you can tolerate the smell of male urine in the litterbox) It is timing....let them mature but snip before they get any ideas.

Cat neuters are so simple, what's the rush.

My .02 cents.
well, now that i am totally freaked out about problems my cats may have as they get older due to getting neutered/spayed too early, what can i do to prevent problems?