Old March 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Worms???

Hi there!
I have an 8 month old Beagle/ Shepherd mix named Hemi. He's SUPER active and loves to play with our other dog, Zoey. Hemi also plays with his litter brother quite often but Hemi's AT LEAST 10 pounds lighter than his brother. He's skinny to the point that his ribs are very visible and he eats like he hasn't eaten in days every time he's fed. I'm wondering if perhaps he could have worms ..? I've not seen anything in his stool and he hasn't vimited (which I've heard are both signs) but I can't seem to figure out why he's so much smaller than his brother. I realise that all puppies are different but it's to the point where Hemi almost looks unhealthy he's so skinny.

Any advice would he GREAT!

Thanks so much!!!
- Court
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you had him seen by a vet recently, courtenay.m? Even taking in a stool sample would be helpful. Regardless, if you suspect worms, he needs some sort diagnosis so the proper meds can be prescribed. OTC dewormers don't work well, so the visit to the vet is well worth the money.

If he tests out clean for worms, the vet may have other avenues to explore as to why he's not putting on any weight.

Good luck with your little one! When you figure out what's going on, I hope you post some pics of Hemi for us! We love pics

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:19 PM
-

A Beagle -Shepherd ??? Well... you just HAVE to post pix of your two now with all that lead up!

Agreed ~ over the counter wormers not only don't work well AND more importantly, they can be toxic nightmares.

The other thing I wonder is whether or not his brother might be eating all his food while you aren't watching. I have a hoover for a dog and she will happily eat everyone's food within a five mile radius if allowed. In my house Bridie (the Hoover) eats in a different room until all meals are done ~ then she's allowed to 'clean up'.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM
chronically insane.

All pups & dogs should be wormed on a regular basis, especially in the first few weeks of life.
When two of my cats were kittens (back when they were fosters ), I had the pair of them after the others from the litter were adopted.. well the one cat was VERY VERY skinny and underweight an to be honest I thought he was going to die for the longest time.. his brother was great, plump and healthy. Then, when they both hit about 9 or 10 months (after we realized they were never getting adopted LOL), they did a total 180; the skinny guy is now super fat and the chubby one is quite lean. Both are in "healthy" weight ranges by my vet though. The one that was fat before is lean and muscular. The one that was skinny is a BIG guy now, like thick and chunky.

Weird how things work.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Court, I'd take him in for shots and a check-up. Maybe worms, but maybe something else instead, and it's a good idea to take special care of him while he's still growing.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
A Beagle -Shepherd ??? Well... you just HAVE to post pix of your two now with all that lead up!

"The other thing I wonder is whether or not his brother might be eating all his food while you aren't watching."
I guess I should have been a little more specific on that one ..Gixxer (Hemi's brother) doesn't actually live with us. He went to a friend of mine so they still play all the time but certainly don't get the chance to steal each others foods.

I'm certainly going to take him into the vet some time next week and see what they say. It can't hurt and although I'm not REALLY worried about it, I'd definitely love to see him put some weight on soon.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice!

Ps. As requested, here are some pictures of the babies.
The first picture is of little Hemi (Beagle/ Shepherd) and our beautiful girl Zoey (Beagle/Sheltie) and the other 2 are just of Hemi.
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Update!

UPDATE: Hemi was given a nice big, yucky tasting worm pill and although progress is slow, he's gaining a tiny bit of weight as weeks goes by.
For the most part, the vet just thinks he's very active ..Which he certainly is!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and advise!
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay.m View Post
UPDATE: Hemi was given a nice big, yucky tasting worm pill and although progress is slow, he's gaining a tiny bit of weight as weeks goes by.
For the most part, the vet just thinks he's very active ..Which he certainly is!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and advise!
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is well!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, my! Zoey and Hemi are gorgeous!!!

Glad to hear that Hemi seems to be doing better! Love the shot with the wrapping paper

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
puppy, skinny, worms