Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Luba

Please, Please,Please don't tell me that your little sweetie, Sadie is already housetrained And if she is how in the hell did you do that so fast. We're still having communication problems on this end. HELP, HELP, HEEEEEEELP!!!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well I can never get her out fast enough so she does all of her things outside. In particular in the morning she makes a mad dash for the papers to pee and poop on.

She will go outside if we keep her out long enough. When we feel she has to go to the w/r we take her out and keep her on lead in the area that we want her to go in. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. A lot has depended on the weather first snow and then rain and so you can't stay out as long as you want to.

She still wont' really go on walks unless she absolutely has to, she rather go in the yard on her fav place in the house.

If she doesn't go when we go outside and she starts to go when I bring her in, I immediately take her back outside to let her finish and show her that its better out there lol.

She is getting the hang of it for sure but like I said the weather has played a big part,it's easier to train w/o the snow now.

Your baby will catch on.

There is another method you can use, which I haven't been able to as munchin runs off with it all the time.

Take newspaper outside with you and put it down where you want pup to go to the w/r. As time goes by you reduce the size of the paper outside until there is nothing left and it's all instinct for them to go in that one spot.

Sadie's bladder is still weak and small so she obviously doesn't hold the long drinks of water very long yet.

Keep trying I'm sure your baby will get it!!
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Yeah I know she will, its the communication thing thats puzzling me? How do you get them to whine or anything? Finally in desperation I've tied bells to my doorknob so they ring in hopes she'll learn to bat them with her nose or paw when she needs to go out. You should of seen us this morning.... I've never had her look at me like ( What are you simple? woman? ) before cause I'm standing there ringing the bells and opening the door and saying Do you wanna go outside?? They are indeed priceless and I usually get a laugh from her every day too.. But now I feel better about how she's doing. ThanX Luba
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats funny!!

You'll get to know, communcation will usually be in their own way.

Do you still leave paper down ?

It may be a nudge, a whine or a scratch at the door. Try to get to them before they get to you..they're too young to hold it.

Like a kid who has to go RIGHT NOW and just 2mins ago you asked if they had to go and they didn't!! LOL
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Ain't that the truth!! Although confession time I'd rather clean up her #2's than her #1's anymore because those are starting to turn into great lakes.Ha! Ha! At least I can plug my nose instead of getting out the scuba gear. Just kidding! But I swear 1/2 a roll of paper towel and we're talking Bounty here! No, I never did paper train her. It gets to be so frustrating because there are so many different books with different views out there. That's what I like about here, different views but at least you can discuss them. One book I read said the puppy should be blocked off from you at all times unless your playing with them. Talk about cruel. Can you imagine it watching everyone doing stuff and only being able to do just that, watch? I like her around us at all times. Betcha Sadie doesn't have to watch
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I'm trying to teach Bentley to tell me to let him out. I ask him, "do you need to go out?" and tell him to sit by the door. When he does that he gets to go out. Yesterday was the first actual day he asked to go out! I'm so proud of my boy

Take the dog poop and towels used to clean up the mess out to the spot where you want the dog to go to the bathroom. That should help. And if you keep her in a wire cage make there two "rooms"; bedroom, and bathroom. Put the papers down in the bathroom, and the bed or blankets in the bedroom. That helped a lot with my dog when he started peeing too close to his bed. In time your dogs bladder should get stronger, and until then, be prepared at all times with a role of paper towels.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Thanks Spoiled, and seeing that your such a wise little chick ( and I say that with deepest compliments because I saw how old you are too) what do you think about the rawhide situation I'm having??
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What rawhide situation?
You shouldn't give rawhide to dogs, nor pigs hooves or ears. They get lodged in the gut and intestine causing gangrene and blockages. Surgery is the only way to remove them.

Give your dog real beef bones!

AHHH see the prob is that you didn't paper train in the beginning my friend.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I have used white vinegar as a training tool for over twenty years now. Dogs & Cats despise the stuff so much they will do anything NOT to have it around. Very quickly they will associate vinagar with what ever behavior you wish for them to stop, including house training and chewing.
The vinegar smell will fade to our noses quite fast and not to a dog or cat. Put some on a paper towel and use it to clean a place where they pottied. This also kills the scent of them already going there... helps with some stains also. Vinegar is harmless. Try giving them a wiff and watch how they give the "ewww yuk!" face!
Just dont try this with goats..they love vinegar.

This trick was handed down to me from a friend who worked for Weatherspoon's, animal actor trainers.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Thank you Karin, I will start trying that tomorrow And Luba yes I'm supporting the Bounty corporation here, but I bet you've subscribed to a few major papers! Ha!Ha! You mean you never read my "rawhide post" I thought some were okay, just not bleached. But thats why I was asking how many are too many? And your scaring me because Abbey already chewed down 4 of them in 5 months
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hmm I dont remember the rawhide post but I could be senile LOL

It isn't just the bleached rawhides. Aside from the bacterial contaminants they may contain, and chemicals they are dangerous.

Stick to real beef bones they're safer and healthier for sure

No need to be afraid, just try to not give them anymore.
I know they enjoy them but they really aren't the greatest thing on the digestive system. The body doesn't break them down! AND dogs can choke on the large pieces they rip off.

Old March 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I am glad to hear that little Sadie prefers going close to home too - Molly refuses to go when on a walk and instead will hold it all the way until we get home. I try to keep her out longer but man, she's stubborn

As far as housetraining goes, I had her paper-trained and then when teaching her to start going outside I blocked off the area where she used to go and then she learned to signal to go outside. Whenever I caught her 'in the act' I would stop her and run her outside and have her finish there and then give her lots of praise.

However, when I later opened up her old area she started going in the house again After much research, I learned that if you re-define their favourite spots then they will stop. That may help, you can either start feeding her in her common places or make it her play area. Worked for me.

Also, one thing I also learned (I am sure everyone knows already but actually made a difference for me) was to never clean up messes when Molly was watching. Apparently it sends a message to the dog that it is okay. Vinegar is also a great suggestion.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:31 PM

I have seen my share of dogs that have choked on rawhides! I have also seen many emergency surgeries to remove imbedded pieces from the intestinal tract. Large chunks can cause a blockage.
Old, goobered rawhides can cause illnesses like botulism (sp) since they are a breeding ground for bacteria.
If you try the vinegar trick, make sure the puppy knows of what you are asking of her at the same time. Tell her "no" at the same time you clean the spot and positive praise when the puppy gets it right. They are just kids with a language barrier to deal with to.
I have taken in older dogs like unwanted breeders which have never been house trained and although it takes a few extra days and tons of understanding they learn too. You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Well thank goodness I am past the puppy stage.....LOL

I too paper trained my guys.Crate training wasn't a real big thing years ago.At least I don't think it was.

As for the Vinegar,does nothing for my kitty Casper.As some of you already know,he's our little deafy.He loves getting into the stuff on the computer.I have put the vinegar around the computer desk.The bugger licks it.Then I tried and put it on my hand,cause he is still attacking and biting,didn't stop him.This is a kitten (6 months old now) who wants nothing to do with catnip or honeysuckle(no Luba,he still wants nothing to do with it).This is one strange kitty.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Well, mona,they say the apple doesn't fall from the tree?!!! JUST KIDDING!! But I couldn't resist!! TTYL ( Holy **** I just made up a new one )
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I just got a de javu reading that....I heard my mothers voice.LOL.She always says that.....LMAO.

Let me refrase what I said....Thank goodness my babies are all grown up and done the puppy stage.

Chany,you are on a roll tonight....You get spinny often?
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mona_b
Well thank goodness I am past the puppy stage.....LOL

I too paper trained my guys.Crate training wasn't a real big thing years ago.At least I don't think it was.

As for the Vinegar,does nothing for my kitty Casper.As some of you already know,he's our little deafy.He loves getting into the stuff on the computer.I have put the vinegar around the computer desk.The bugger licks it.Then I tried and put it on my hand,cause he is still attacking and biting,didn't stop him.This is a kitten (6 months old now) who wants nothing to do with catnip or honeysuckle(no Luba,he still wants nothing to do with it).This is one strange kitty.
Our new "office kitty", ( a teenager) was so starved when he showed up around New Years eve he ate a pickle. A pickle! Of course you should have seen him, he must have been about 1 to 2 days from deaths door. We think he was locked into a Motor Homes basement compartment for 1 & 1/2 weeks. When they came to Florida and parked the RVer siad he saw a white flash go by when he opened the compartment door. It took us two months to get close to him. With our first freeze we were able to get him indoors. (yes, it does freeze in Florida too!)
Now "Foxy" runs the joint. And he eats anything and all still....
He was dubbed at first "No I'm Not Taking Another One Home" because that is all he heard..at first. Foxy has had his visit to the Vet and is very spoiled. So much so we have to share every meal regardless of the content. He try's everything but really loves Bran Muffins.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't give rawhide. If you have to give rawhide, here are some pointers:

Don't let your dog have rawhide unsupervised
Always let the rawhide harden completely after being chewed for about an hour
Don't get the bleached rawhide
Get really big bones so that there isn't as much chance of choking

Keep in mind that even though you may do these things, you could have an emergency vet having to do surgery to get stuck rawhide out of your dog's stomach.

But I bet you won't get your dog rawhide anymore.

Some good chewing items are nylabones, cornstarch bones, beef bones, and if you go to your pet store you'll find a lot of other good things for your dog to chew on.

Good luck!
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Why thank you mona and yes it happens fairly regular . I'm kind of a smartass myself, so I enjoy a good zinger now and then!I hope nobody takes offense to them. The rawhides are gone and some bones are on their way. Pet stores are not close to home, around 200 km away and even their supplies are limited. But good news last night ( we're getting 1/4 of a cow from the close neighbor ) and they phoned to see what meat cuts we wanted so while I had them on the phone, I asked, so some nice good bones are coming hopefully next week . So again I thank you all, and Abbey's intestine also thanks you!! What about chicken bones? I've heard raw were o.k.?
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Oh yes, yesterday I lied! I went and checked and that was a package of 6 rawhides!!! How will I be able to tell if she has been hurt by them??
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Your very welcome Chany

I have heard about the chicken bones.BUT,yes there is a BUT.The thing is,I can't remember what it is....LOL

Carina is a good one to ask about that.Speaking of,where is she? .....She has 3 beautiful Rotties.

Chany,do you have a pic of your baby Abbey?

My sister has a Border Collie named Abbey,short for Abbagail....