Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Eagle Pack - Holistic Select dry food

Hi,

My dog eat cooked food and Orijen 6 fish kibbles.

We have just won some Eagle pacl Holistic select kibbles - Chicken meal & rice formula (yellow package).

From the ingredients, chicken meal, ground brown rice, barley, Organic chicken... seems not bad, is it worth to feed ?

Thanks
Sparky
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
-

The Eagle Pack Holistic formulas are a good quality food. How were you lucky enough to win?
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I think Orijen 6 Fish is better of the two, but Eagle Pack Holistic is a great food too! Both my dogs eat Orijen 6 Fish with Nature's Variety Raw as supplemental and my cat eats Eagle Pack Holistic. It's a god-send for him because he's elderly and has CRF and needs a very strict diet. This food meets it for him because of the low phos. So both are great! Congrats on winning by the way!!! That's very cool!
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

My boy has been on Eagle Pack Holistic for a few years.He does great on it.

Please share on how you won it......
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Agility Addict

Too much grain for me (there's brown and white rice)... Protein is also too low for my liking... If I'd won a small bag of kibble, I probably would donate it or use it as training treats but I wouldn't feed it instead of Orijen and homecooked.

To my knowledge, eagle pack doesn't use organic chicken??? But perhaps I am thinking of the wrong formula because I didn't think barley was in their Chicken and Rice either?????
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM

We have been feeding Eagle Pack Holistic to our 3 dogs for approximately 3 years now. Montana was on the Anchovy, Salmon & Sardine for a couple of years, but I switched her a few months back to the Lamb & Rice which Louie and Savannah eat as it makes it easier for them all to be on the same food. We have had no problems, and they all have great coats.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM

What does everyone think should be the protein necessary in a dog food? I have always understood puppies (think seniors also) require more protein, but there again large breeds do not require the same amount of protein when they are puppies either. I am sure a dog involved in agility would require more protein than one that is more sedenatary. It can all be so confusing. I found this article very interesting: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=702
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Eagle Pack - Holistic Select dry food

I doubt they put organic chicken in the ingredients, maybe 1 small piece.

My worry is will they use 4D animals in the food?

We have won these kibbles from our agility trials. Opened 1 pack and let my dog eat, this is his prize.

Sparky
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengal View Post
What does everyone think should be the protein necessary in a dog food? I have always understood puppies (think seniors also) require more protein, but there again large breeds do not require the same amount of protein when they are puppies either. I am sure a dog involved in agility would require more protein than one that is more sedenatary. It can all be so confusing. I found this article very interesting: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=702

It's not the amount of protein that is the concern with feeding large breeds, it's the calcium and especially phosphorous levels in the kibble.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingSparky View Post
I doubt they put organic chicken in the ingredients, maybe 1 small piece.

My worry is will they use 4D animals in the food?

We have won these kibbles from our agility trials. Opened 1 pack and let my dog eat, this is his prize.

Sparky
I would not be concerned with the use of 4D in Eagle Pack.