Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Wink Just want to know

I just want to know if anybody knows anything about Goldendoodles, from previous threads I understand that some people don't like them and don't agree with them. I am not one of those people and really am interested in them I see others asking about oodles and am interested in there imput. I really would like to talk to others who are looking into the so called designer dogs. I love animals and I am upset that on previuos threads people said I must not love my two cats because I want a mixed dog like this, and because I felt insulted by the things they said, I came here to get info not to have to defend my choices I make in the animals I want. So if anybody wnats to let me know about there experiences or things thaye have learned or talk about the oodle you want let me know!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I have read all of your previous posts and I do not want to bring that back up, However, since you are searching for information Here is what i do know

1. Just because the dog YOU have your heart set on is an oodle mix. Dont be fooled to think that your pup wont shed.

2. Regardless of what kind of tests the "breeder" sais have been done, it is not a guarantee. Most genetic problems are avoided by long processes of breeding the best possible of the breed together, when you are looking into a mix it is harder to keep track of all that.

3. To pay $1500 + for ANY purebred IMO is rediculous. SO therefore paying that kind of money for a MIX breed is insane.

4. You have some pretty high standards for this future dog of yours. You dont want it to shed, you dont want it to make messes and ect. I really hope you will stick it through. Just because a friend of a friend of yours has a golden retriever poodle mix who is good Dont think yours will be born perfect.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Also please check this site out, it may help you a bit to fully understand and research what you are looking for.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/po...abradoodle.htm

Good luck in your endeavers of finding this dream dog of yours. And please hold an open mind when you are seeking advise online, perhaps the critique you are recieving here will help you out.
No one can expect an open forum to agree with them!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Are you serious?

NOBODY here is against mutts. Most of us own mutts. We just don't go around saying they're breeds and we don't go buying them when there are hundreds of thousand out there that need homes and are DYING in shelters.

We just want you to rescue a mutt rather than giving your money to people who make up breeds and pretend they can guarantee things. They can't guarantee anything. Do their dogs meet any standards? Are they genetically tested? Are the show/work champions?
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM

I understand that others will disagree its just the way they do it, rudley and concesending, as if they know all. I am not expecting my dog to be perfect I have had animals all my life and only once did I ever get rid of an animal, I look at animals like my furbabies, I care for them in the very best way.
I realize that dogs make messes they have to be potty trained obedience trained etc, and I willing to do that 100%. I am just looking into these dogs because from what I have read and researched is that two goldendoodles breed together have a much greater chance of not shedding much or at all. I realize that they amy still shed and thats something I would have to deal with but I want to take all the chances of getting a dog that won't. And I realize that there are gentic problems in all dogs that won't me love my dog any less, if he gets a disease I will deal with it when it happens. Thanks for your advice.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I am just looking into these dogs because from what I have read and researched is that two goldendoodles breed together have a much greater chance of not shedding much or at all.
That is not true at all. Two goldendoodles breeding together have a 50% chance of producing a full, long haired, super sheddy GOLDEN.

If you don't want a shedding dog, get a poodle.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM

This WILL stay civil or will be locked.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Can i just ask a question without you interpreting it as being an attack of any kind???

Im just really wondering why a Golden Retriever Poodle mix is what your heart is set on???

What attributes of the mix is it that has so strongly made your mind up?

Myself I am a Rottie lover. That is my breed of choice, however, if i was looking for a pup, I am not 100% set on getting a Rottie.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Are you serious?

NOBODY here is against mutts. Most of us own mutts. We just don't go around saying they're breeds and we don't go buying them when there are hundreds of thousand out there that need homes and are DYING in shelters.

We just want you to rescue a mutt rather than giving your money to people who make up breeds and pretend they can guarantee things. They can't guarantee anything. Do their dogs meet any standards? Are they genetically tested? Are the show/work champions?

I realize there are dogs out there that need homes, and I applaude all those who take in shelter and rescue pets but its just not for me, before I had kids I did small animal fostering and in doing that I realized that I did'nt want a rescue ALOT of the pets I took in had behaviral problems from being abused and neglected and I very rarley got a pup that hade'nt been scard in some way. They were very difficult to train and now wioth two young children I just could'nt see bringing an animal in that has a higher chance of hurting one of my kids. I realize that a dog can bite at anytime even those brought up around your children, but form my expereince with fosters they were more likely to.
I am happy for all those who have taken in pets and they have done great, thats so wonderful but I am just not willing to take the chance. Regardless of the dog I get it will go to obedience training and be temperment tested often. I will do my best to make sure the dog is brought up to accept and respect myslef and my children thats I can do!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Hey, getting a mutt from an unethical breeder is almost a sure guarantee of behavioral problems. Just look up info on housetraining puppy mill dogs.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Here's a good one: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....+housetraining
That's what you are buying into.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
Can i just ask a question without you interpreting it as being an attack of any kind???

Im just really wondering why a Golden Retriever Poodle mix is what your heart is set on???

What attributes of the mix is it that has so strongly made your mind up?

Myself I am a Rottie lover. That is my breed of choice, however, if i was looking for a pup, I am not 100% set on getting a Rottie.

I am set on a Goldendoddle because my husband had a Golden for 12 years and his temperment was so wonderful, my girlfriend has two goldens and they are just great, My mother raises poodles and I like there coat and look but not a purebreed poodle is just not my type of dog. I want a large dog but I can't deal with tons of hair shedding. And teh chance of getting one that sheds lightly is pretty good depending on the parents and there lines. I think goldendoodles are the perfect size, they have great dispostions, and most Goldens have stunning personalities, and Poodles from what I have seen with my moms are easy to train and so are goldens and my friends friend has a goldendoodle and it is so great, it does'nt shed is wonderful with her kids and when I saw it I was in love, we knew then that it was the dog for us!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM

So get a greyhound or a dobie instead. There are tons of real large breeds out there that don't shed much.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Well once again I wish you luck and I hope your pup ends up being all you hope will.
However, although you are not interested in rescuing an adult, all i can do is ask you to please consider looking for a rescue pup.
It wont hurt to look around right?
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Here's a good one: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....+housetraining
That's what you are buying into.
I have been to the breeder that I am getting pup from she has one litter a year thats all, she is no puppy mill, she will take the puppy back for a full refund if at anytime in the first year you decide the dog is not for you. She is not trying to scam anyone, I understand that most breeders are just in ti for the money and they don't care if they over breed there dogs or how the animals are cared for, but she is diffrent I have not went into this blind I have researched dozens of doodle breeders and shes the only one I would buy from. I am sorry that you think that they are all puppy mills, but opinons are like butts and everybodies got one!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Honest Contributor

have you read this?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/designerdogs.htm

Quote:
When you breed two different types of purebred dogs together you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. If you are stuck on a hybrid dog how do you know which one to choose? Read the temperament and care for both breeds in the cross and be prepared for any combination of the two. If everything about both breeds matches you and your families personality and lifestyle, than you can most likely assume this cross will work for you. If there is ANYTHING about either breed in the cross that you do not feel matches what you are looking for, avoid that cross. Do not assume or take the chance that only the good characteristics will emerge. You may be in for a big surprise and it is not fair to the puppy to chance that.

It is also important to be aware; not all of these designer hybrid dogs being bred are 50% purebred to 50% purebred. It is very common for breeders to breed multi-generation crosses. While a simple F1 generation cross is said to produce the most hybrid vigor in the dog and the further down the multi-generation chain, the more vigor is lost in the hybrid; there are some benefits to multi-generation crossing. If you want to greater your chances of certain traits, such as non-shedding, sometimes it is necessary to move further down the generation chain, risking less vigor.

To help you understand this concept we will use the Goldendoodle as an example. A Goldendoodle is a cross between the Golden Retriever and the Poodle (usually the Standard Poodle). In general we will call the first purebred "purebred-A", and the second "purebred-B". Note, the examples of the differences in coat only apply to the Goldendoodle hybrid, all other hybrids will vary in their own way depending on what is in the cross.

F1 = 1st generation puppy - 50% purebred-A and 50% purebred-B - for example, a Golden Retriever to Poodle cross, this is first generation, resulting in healthier offspring. In this particular Goldendoodle cross hair type can be smooth like a Golden, wirey look like a Irish wolfhound or Wavy/shaggy, they can shed or not shed, pups in the same litter can vary. This is not the best cross for people with severe allergies.

Dogs are not to be disposed of like old toasters when they do not perform as you wish. They are living creatures. Cross a Labrador with a Poodle (Labradoodle) and you may or may not get a dog that sheds. Most experienced breeders can give you a pretty good idea what characteristics in a pup will emerge as the puppy grows. For example, in the Labradoodle, some breeders are able to tell which coat the pup will have, the Poodle or the Labrador, but still, this cannot be guaranteed. Sometimes it is harder to tell what type of temperament the pup will take on, as some characteristics do not appear until the pup is older, past adopting age.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So get a greyhound or a dobie instead. There are tons of real large breeds out there that don't shed much.
Greyhounds shed a ton they are jsut like great danes and both shed like crazy I know I fostered a greyhound and I owned a great dane before we had children both crazy sheders. As for a Dobi they are beautiful dogs but as with a rotti, or a pit, I just would'nt trust them around my kids. That may seem crazy to soom but for me they jsut are'nt okay around my kids, I am VERY protective of my children and I am sure TONS of people have these breeds around there kids with no problems I am jsut not willing to chance it.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Honest Contributor

you know, if you feed your dog a GOOD diet, they don't shed as much. but i'm sure you knew that

You can find info on what a good dog food is in the forum archives.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
As for a Dobi they are beautiful dogs but as with a rotti, or a pit, I just would'nt trust them around my kids. That may seem crazy to soom but for me they jsut are'nt okay around my kids, I am VERY protective of my children and I am sure TONS of people have these breeds around there kids with no problems I am jsut not willing to chance it.
You have just set yourself up for alot of critique on your knowledge of dogs with that statement.
good luck with that!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll

I have read all this before that is why I am going for two goldendoodles bred togther instead of two purebreeds, this way there is more of a chance to get non shedding pups, like I said i have researched these dogs, I realize they may get a genetic disease but I am willing to take that chance, my kids might get a gentic disease but I still wnat them and would care for them is that happend!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Honest Contributor

prin, great post!

i wish i could adopt them all... soooo sweet souls, no doubt purchased at ridiculous prices but not living up to the owner's designer expectations.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
She is not trying to scam anyone
Good to know she's snowed you enough to get your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy101bbb
As for a Dobi they are beautiful dogs but as with a rotti, or a pit, I just would'nt trust them around my kids. That may seem crazy to soom but for me they jsut are'nt okay around my kids, I am VERY protective of my children and I am sure TONS of people have these breeds around there kids with no problems I am jsut not willing to chance it.
OMG. Ok. I'm done. I was raised with dobies. You obviously don't know anything about dog breeds. Dobies are AMAZING with children.

Good luck. I doubt you'll find what you want because wanting a mutt with specific qualities is like pissing in the wind.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldendoodle

Quote:
The Goldendoodle hybrid works well for many allergy sufferers; however, one can be allergic to an animal's saliva, or its dander. While some breeders claim that the Goldendoodle is a hypoallergenic canine, allergists believe that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic animal. There have been no studies to date verifying whether any canine is completely hypoallergenic.
also:

Quote:
While the Goldendoodle is typically a low-shedding hybrid, it does shed to some degree.
There are many purebred dogs that are very low shedding or don't aggrivate allergies in some people.
I've read your previous posts and it seems you want a larger dog.
A few that come to mind:
A portuguese water dog
A standard poodle
A curly coated retriever (I don't know how easy these are to find; they look similar to a labradoodle)
A greyhound.

Mixed breed dogs such as labradoodles and goldendoodles do not breed true, as in the litters do NOT come out consistent. Some may shed a lot, some may not. Even later generation doodles are not consistent, there are throwbacks, genetic problems start coming out (like in poorly bred purebreds), etc..
Most breeders of these dogs don't do genetic testing even if they claim to.

Also these dogs are EXTREMELY overpriced in my opinion.
There are breeders of low-shedding purebreds that have consistent litters, genetic and health testing, and health guarantees, who sell their dogs for much less than the inconsistent doodles. Many of these people are also more likely to honor their guarantees than people that breed doodles.

It is possible that several years from now some of these doodle breeds could eventually be established as a purebred, that would be a LONG way off, as no one has been able to get consistent litters and there's no strict breed standard. If you buy any of these doodle breeds at this point there is no guarantee that the dog will not shed. Also, many puppies do not shed. Even if you get a non-shedding puppy, as it ages it's coat could change and it could start shedding.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Honest Contributor

i smell a "Locked Thread" coming up... and not by our fault either... it's like trying to speak to a brick wall

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Oh and by the way, dogs shed when they're stressed, which is probably why your foster was shedding. But then being that you are the expert of small dog fostering, you already knew that.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
You have just set yourself up for alot of critique on your knowledge of dogs with that statement.
good luck with that!

I don't care what others think on my thoughts on dogs. We know what types of dogs we will allow around our kids period. Its no matter to use how many people have those dogs around kids and think its fine. As with anything everyone has diffrent ways of raiing there kids. Some people think spanking is okay while others don't. To me I don't care how other raise there kids and who owns what breed I was just answering you you said what a bout a dobi and I told you how I felt about them and other breeds I was'nt comfortable with... Whats the deal with you people, no one can think difrrently then you, or there wrong! Give me a break you havethe dogs you want and I'll have the ones I want!
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I smell it too Techno.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy101bbb
Give me a break you havethe dogs you want and I'll have the ones I want!
Do you know what kind of dogs I have? No? That's because I don't go around from thread to thread screaming about it, trying to draw attention to myself.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Well brandie, now that you have decided to lash out at me I will state my point on your insane post about Dobies Rotties and Pits.
First of all, by saying that they are not good with children is showing that you have baught into media hype. No one told you run out and get a dobie, it was a suggestion.

Quote:
Whats the deal with you people, no one can think difrrently then you, or there wrong! Give me a break you havethe dogs you want and I'll have the ones I want!
Alot of people think differently from each other on here, I do not share some of the same opinions as others on the board however , I keep it to myself, the thing with you is that you are trying to convince US that this Ooodle mix thing you are so willing to spend thousands of dollars on is the best dang dog ever created. We on the other hand are trying to help you to see that YOU with all your husbands money are probly going to get let down!