Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 29th, 2004, 10:39 PM

Question Feline leukemia

My Cat was diagnosed with leukemia by my vet. I was wondering if there's anything i can do.(Is there a Vaccination?) Also would I assume that all cat's who've had contact with my cat have it aswell or is that False? My Cat is also pregnant can this cause complications during pergnancy and labor and will the kittens be born with leukemia?
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibb
My Cat was diagnosed with leukemia by my vet. I was wondering if there's anything i can do.(Is there a Vaccination?) Also would I assume that all cat's who've had contact with my cat have it aswell or is that False? My Cat is also pregnant can this cause complications during pergnancy and labor and will the kittens be born with leukemia?
You need to consider terminating the pregnancy right now.

I am interested in knowing what your vet advised you to do after the diagnosis...please inform us.

There is no vaccination or cure for the infected. And yes, your cat could have already spread the disease.
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Your cat must become an indoor kitty but itr is hardly a death sentence. There is a cute Diary by a cat that has FeL called Diary of a Mad Kitten - lots of info on life with a kitty with this illness.

http://www.siliconhell.com/madcat/diaryindex.htm

You can find lots more traditional info by googling feline leukemia.

Good luck!! (and yes, you should abort the pregnancy, Your kitty's immune system will thank you as will the kittens who wou;d also be positive for the dodease)
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Angry Do I need a new Vet?

First I would like to thank both of you for your responses. Yes i have made her an indoor kitten which my vet advised. My Vet didn't say anything about terminating the pregnancy. When I saw her my cat wasn't even showing yet and she said nothing of abording when she noticed the kittens or when she called me back with a diagnosis (which is why I thought to talk to others about it). She also said that most cats can live long healthy lives with leukemia, that a clean environment is a big help, and that any cat living with my cat will be infected.
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
banned user

If your vet said any cats living with your cat will be infected then how do you suppose the cat can nurse newborn kittens and not pass it to every one of them??? That doesn't make sense.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006
If your vet said any cats living with your cat will be infected then how do you suppose the cat can nurse newborn kittens and not pass it to every one of them??? That doesn't make sense.
Well if there is a chance the kittens wouldn't be infected, you could nurse the kittens yourself and isolate(sp?) them from their mother. Anything I could do I would do that why I asked!!!!!!! But thanks for your rude comment
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM
banned user

Rude comment?? Okay.
I wasn't even directing my rude comment at you... I was talking about your vet.
It just doesn't make sense (even without nursing) that the momma cat wouldn't be in contact with the kittens... they are inside her and will be coming out, no?
Also, kittens learn a lot from their mother, it wouldn't be fair to separate them... have you ever heard a momma cat pissed off and wanting her babies? It's not pretty, they'd probably have to be in different homes! I also wouldn't risk any/all of the babies becoming infected.
If it was my cat, as hard as it may be, I would have the kittens aborted.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that aborting the pregnancy is the most humane thing to do right now, both for your cat, who's immune system is compromised,and for the kittens who will be born with leukemia. I know you are upset right now but you should concentrate on caring for the cat you have, physically and financially, she will demand more later on.....think of the future and plan for her comfort and well-being.
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:23 PM

I agree. Aborting the kittens is hard, but definitely the right thing to do. We recently adopted a cat and she was pregnant. We took her to get spayed anyways, and found out after that she would have given birth in 3 - 4 days, but the kittens had to be aborted. It was heart breaking and I have been having bouts of extreme guilt. But on the other hand, those kittens could have become homeless and had more kittens, or worse! I can't imagine having kittens born with Feline Luk. and trying to adopt them out to loving homes. Healthy kittens are hard enough to find homes for! I'm sorry for what you're going through, and what you will be going through, but believe me, aborting them is the best decision for your cat and the babies. Good luck!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM

Lightbulb

Well that would of been good information back when an abortion was possible, I think it's a little to late now. It's been a month since I saw my Vet. My cat will be givivng birth any day. I've also already have homes for up to four kittens. All the families I've spoke to also know that the kittens will be sick. So if you know what complications I might encounter with the kittens PLEASE let me know!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

There's not much you can do for the mom and kittens except provide a warm, quiet place, good food, very clean surroundings and no contact with other cats. There is no medicine. I don't know about mother-kitten transmission but between adult cats I understood hand-to-hand (claw-to-claw?) combat is required for the other cat to get it. There may be a small risk in sharing food bowls as well.
Old December 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
There's not much you can do for the mom and kittens except provide a warm, quiet place, good food, very clean surroundings and no contact with other cats. There is no medicine. I don't know about mother-kitten transmission but between adult cats I understood hand-to-hand (claw-to-claw?) combat is required for the other cat to get it. There may be a small risk in sharing food bowls as well.
Thank you your information is much apreciated and a big help!
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi,

I have been reading about FeL (fel leukemia) and it appears that mom can trasmit the disease to her babies and they may also acquire it from drinking her milk. Has your vet duscussed this with you? (Was she so far along in her pregnancy that she had to continue it?)

Anyway, here is a great site on Fel:

http://www.felineleukemia.com/main.html
There is also an faq site which I think you can find if you simply type feline leukemia and faq in any seacrh engine.

Good luck!!

Keep us up to date on how the kittens are and have them checked for FeL right away!
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Pet Lover Extraordinaire

All outdoor cats should get a FeLeuk vaccine!

In response to much earlier posts - there IS a vaccine for feline leukemia, generally recommended for all outdoor cats (that is, any cat at risk of coming into contact with unknown cats or places unknown cats have been). Unfortunately, vaccines are only preventative - they only work in a cat who doesn't have feline leukemia!

It is almost certain that the kittens will also have the disease, if they do not obtain it during birth they will when nursing. Hand-nursing the kittens may lessen the risk of exposure but will also lessen their chance of survival, and they will forever lack some skills they should learn from Mom.

Mom is going to have a rough time of it and be sure to have your veterinarian's number and car keys handy when she gives birth. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM

are weight loss and fatigue what u watch for? anything else?
i had louie vaccinated but i don't know HOW LONG he was alone outside and how many catfights he had or other cat contact he's had in his young life (7 months or so) although i'm sure he was an indoor cat before someone let him go :sad: .
i didn't have him tested, only vaxxed. i'm scared in a year i'll have a sick kitty. not too paranoid about my baby am i !
chloe's story made me think i guess
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

It's normal to be paranoid L's mom. I like to think I am not - after calming so many moms of my pediatric patients - but I am ,lol

I think in Louie's case, all you can do is vaccinate. If he has been tested negative for FeL, I am sure he'll be fine though!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Pet Lover Extraordinaire

Louie's mum - it is unlikely that Louie picked up FeLeuk in his short life, especially because such a young cat is unlikely to have been in any cat fights or gotten too close to any females (and therefore unlikely to have exchanged fluids with any other cats). Even if Louie were to become ill you have already vastly increased his lifespan and improved his quality of life by taking him off the street If he is kept in a clean, healthy, indoor environment, he may even have FeLeuk but still live a long and happy life.
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM

thank you both.
he's been acting weird towards me the past 2 days. he's used to having me to himself and i've had a lot of company in the past week so i'm hoping it's just that he's a little out of sorts. or maybe he knows he's getting neutered thursday.
he's kind of restless, sniffing everything and almost everytime i even look at him he squeaks at me (his way of meowing lol). hasn't been as cuddly/needy (which i luv :love: ) as normal.
just hope he's ok. maybe i've given him TOO much luv and affection and he's tired of me already lol
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

It is probably just the company - you know how cats hate change and if he had you all to himself and then his routine was suddenly invaded by these "aliens", he may be a little miffed and wonder if there will be other changes. (Little does he know I guess, <g>) I have decided to take Yin Yin to Fla with me - I really hate the thought of leaving her with someone else at this time of the year and she now has all her vaccinations, is thus far a good traveller and I can keep her with me on the plane. I know cats hate change in routines but she is still a kitten and seems to adapt well. Plus, she is great at charming people like airport security, vets and their staff, my cleaning lady. my friends and I know my parents will shower her with attention and love and even a gift - even if it enough money to buy some great toy or a large cat tree. (Maybe grandpa will build her one ) Cross your fingers, lol
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
It is probably just the company - you know how cats hate change and if he had you all to himself and then his routine was suddenly invaded by these "aliens", he may be a little miffed and wonder if there will be other changes. ....
or a large cat tree. (Maybe grandpa will build her one ) Cross your fingers, lol
i hope that's all it is.
ohhhh a large cat tree - louie thinks that would be divine ...
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, psssst just tell Louie NOT to tell Yin Yin, lol (They probably exchange emails when we are not looking, lol) Tell him he can come and play if he keeps it a secret till Dec 25! (Or the night of Dec 24, lol)
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Well, psssst just tell Louie NOT to tell Yin Yin, lol (They probably exchange emails when we are not looking, lol) Tell him he can come and play if he keeps it a secret till Dec 25! (Or the night of Dec 24, lol)
no kidding ... nothing these animals do would surprise me. i have a mental image of them madly pawing at the keyboard to get their points across before their humans catch them
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Senior Contributor

HaHa, I can see it now and that image so looks like Yin Yin as she sits at the computer - she just makes it look like she is watching the screen saver, hah!!
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

aaawww!! cutie!! any more pics CK?? let's see her face!!! she looks like a little lady sitting there!!!
Old December 11th, 2004, 01:24 PM

I just thought you'd all like to know my Cat gave birth last night to five kittens she was really good. She didn't make a peep and she was done in about 3 hours. She's doing great and everyone looks healthy and happy. Thanks again for all your guys' help.
Old December 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the news! I am glad to hear that mom and the kittens are OK. Please let us know what the vet says - re the FeL status (I will cross my fingers for them!!).

Good luck!!!
Old December 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Yin Yin Pix

Twinmommey,

I have pictures of Yin Yin already posted here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&highlight=Yin

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&highlight=Yin

http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....tid=4965&stc=1
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....achmentid=4906
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....achmentid=4907

and my favourite:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/attachment....tid=4837&stc=1
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

JGibb,I have a friend who has 5 HS-cats and they all have tested positive for
leukemia,I think the oldest is about 17yrs old...looking at all these beautiful cats,you'd never know they were sick.
The owner in question,used to volonteer at HS and adopted them all from there.