Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old January 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Catch and Release NDG

I just received a phone call from a lady who lives in NDG. She's been feeding a feral female cat for the past three years. For the past three year, she has seen mama cat pregnent many times. Just recently Mama just gave birth outside in the bitter cold. The lady just brought inside her heated garage 2 8mth old kittens from mama's previous litter, she's not sure if she's going to keep them or not.

I am very worried about Mama and her family, is there anyone who can help catch MAMA? Mama is 100% feral.

Last edited by poodletalk; January 16th, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Hi Poodletalk,
I pm'ed you
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Just a question but how does catch and release work... you catch the cat, get it spayed then put it back out in the cold? Does it recover indoors from the spay before going back out? Sorry, just have no idea how it's done in freezing areas.
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

This cat has been outside for three years, the lady has never been able to touch her. For a catch and release, the cat will be caught, vet checked and sterilized. She will stay at the vets for 24-48 hours depending, then she released where she was found. According to the lady, this cat has several hiding spots away from the cold. I just hope her kittens are surviving in this weather. It's far from a perfect solution, but what are the other options?

Last edited by poodletalk; January 16th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

It wasn't a condemnation, it was a question. I don't understand catch and release in cold climates so didn't know how they went about it. I know in southern states that they catch, alter, nick ear and release but didn't know what they did here.
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

No BMD, I didn't think you were condemning me. The phone call just bothered me, I wish I could do more for the mother cat and kittens.
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

No problem, just wasn't sure and I know all too well how difficult the cat situation is and how so few homes there are for indoor cats let alone feral or abandoned outdoor ones.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Can this woman keep the cat in her garage until her incision heals?

I've seen cats get massive infections after spaying (the latest two we had were caused by allergies to a suture!) and they can rip their stitches out as well. I know it doesn't happen often, but I don't like releasing females right after a surgery.

The heated garage sounds like a perfect solution!
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I just did a follow up call, the lady called the SPCA Montreal last night,they came and picked up the 2 eight month old kittens. According to the SPCA Montreal, the kittens weren't adoptable and they were euthanised! SPCA Montreal said they may come back in the spring with a cage to catch the mother cat, male cats and her litter! We know what will happen to them.....what a world we live in.

Last edited by poodletalk; January 17th, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

They'll be somewhat safe as they won't bother to go back in the spring. Poor little one's. Guess the lady couldn't be bothered to help them. :sad:
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, the majority of animals at the SPCA are "not adoptable". A crooked tooth is criteria for killing them.

People like this woman make me seriously ill.
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Exclamation YOu can

Hello

IF you want to release some feral cats on some of my land feel free to please e mail me or PM me here and let me know! I will provide food shelter! THnx
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

In northern NB where temps can be well below zero (C and F) - it was -37 there this AM, feral cats are kept inside (a warmed porch or very warm area so they do not get chillded) while they heal. They are in their "cage" - a large one covered with a litterbox (a combo earth litter and food and water once they are more alert). If they show signs at all of being adoptable, we try to socilaize them VERY slowly - talkiung to thrml leaving music- clasical or soft music, it's a loooooooooooong process and not for the impatient. But some kitties just seem to have to go back outside, sigh! And that see,s sp true for Toms who even neitered, have that urge.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Where are you located Scuba?
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0095
Hello

IF you want to release some feral cats on some of my land feel free to please e mail me or PM me here and let me know! I will provide food shelter! THnx

Hi If you're in Montreal please try and get a hold of catsnatcher. She has 2 ferrel cats that would do better on a farm like area. The onlt problem is that you would have to keep them indoor so they don't try to find their way home...ofcourse having said that , I am thinking you might be in Montreal
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM

hi kingston here
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
Just recently Mama just gave birth outside in the bitter cold.
What happened to these kittens? They must be almost weaned by now? Are they tame at all or can they be?
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM

I don't blame this woman for what happened to the cats.
She probably tried her best to do what she thought was right.

This woman probably thought that the SPCA was the best choice for the cats and had little or no control over the outcome.

Spelling is an option
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I need to follow up, I gave the information to a lady in Montreal who works with feral cats and kittens. She was going to work on this case.