Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Hyper 8 month puppy

Our puppy is 8 months old, and is really hyper, like most puppies his age.
But we are expecting a baby in 3 months and were wondering if there is any way we can get him to calm down a bit, so we won't have to worry about him jumping on us or tripping us when we are carring our child>
Old October 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM

Obedience training is the only way I can think of to get a hyper dog to listen. If he hasn't been to training yet, take him right away! At 8 months old, he should have at least a basic obedience course (sit, stay, off, heel, etc.). I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't brought Diamond to training. My parents are fairly "fraile" (well before they should be, but that's another story) and Diamond was constantly trying to jump up. Basic manners solved that. I know now how to correctly tell her not to jump.

Check into classes in your neighbourhood, and see what you can come up with in the next 3 months. You'd be suprised how much it'll help!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I have thought about that, but it is all sooooooo expensive here. Plus we would have to drive a ways to get to them. He does know all his basic commands. It is just that he is so active, and always wants to play, when I try to get things done. We have tried keeping play time outside, but it doesn't work. I trip over him sometimes the way it is now. Is there anything beside taking him to obedience classes that we could try.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 08:58 PM

A wise person (I think it was my obedience instructor) once said, "A tired puppy means a happy owner.". How long are you playing with him outside? Try to increase the time and intensity of play outside.

Also, to keep him busy and out from underfoot when you're trying to get stuff done inside, try a Kong-sicle. Get a Kong toy, stuff it with all kinds of goodies (the kong.com website has great stuffing ideas) and then keep it in the freezer overnight (I always have a Kong in the freezer for emergencies). The next day, when you're going to be running up and down stairs doing laundry and don't want to trip over your furry shadow, give him the Kong-sicle. Keeps 'em busy for hours!!

What breed of pup are we talking about? He might calm down as he gets older, but if you're talking about a Lab or similar, it might take a little longer than with other breeds.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Our puppy is pure bred yellow lab. We have started bringing him out to play 2 times a day, for an hour each time. We are going to try to associate outside with high-energy play, and inside with calm easy play. He is calming down a bit, but it has only been a few days.
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:01 PM

I love Labs. How about a pic?

Labs a notorious for maturing slowly. You're going to be dealing with puppyhood for another couple of years at least. Enjoy!

For outside play, do you have a large yard, or an off-leash park nearby? Petsmart sells this ball launcher (I think it's called Fling It). It's basically a long, curved handle with a claw on the end that a tennis ball fits into. We had one and used it to play with my brother's Lab cross. It was great, because the launcher could get the ball a lot further than I could alone. So the dog was able to run a lot farther and longer, and got tired out a lot more quickly!
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:03 PM
banned user

A Lab will take some time to slow down, many are 3-4 yrs before slowing down. Keep you dog busy, remember Lab's are smart and can learn very easy. My Lab took awhile to get away from the puppy stage but they are worth every shoe they eat, or beds they rip hey Lab's are Lab's We love them and now my 8 month old Golden Retriever is such a good boy, he does play outside as much as he wants daily and has doggie friends to come for sleepovers to keep him busy. Good Luck with you Lab it will be fine teach the dog now and you will look back and say remember when.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, they are energetic for a long time. Looks like I'll have my hands full. I do have pictures, but they are on my other computer, and it is down right now. You can fo to the ask a vet board and look at the pictures in the "Inactive cat" thread. 1 is of our kittie that past away, and the other is of our puppy Cano, using our kitty as a pillow. I will post more pictures as soon as I get a chance to either get them off the other computer or get batteries for my camera. I have some very cute ones of when he was just a tiny little thing (compared to now). When we got him he was only about 15 pounds, now he is about 50!!! He's going to be a big boy. He will make nice puppies one day, if we every find him the perfect girlfriend.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Here are some pictures of my pup, Cano. He's 100% of pure gorgeous yellow lab. We got a heck of a deal for him. He is worth every penny my husband paid for him.

Most of the pics were taken the first week or so that we had him.The ones with him laying with blankets, the brown blanket, is actuall a small bath towel, it is just a bit bigger than a medium sized dish towel. He now sleeps with a Coca-Cola lap blanket. I will send more recent ones on my next post. Probably tomorrow. He's getting to be a big boy!
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

What expressive eyes! Love the 1st picture in which he looks like a real happy boy!
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

The first picture is my favorite one. His bunny that he has in that picture is his favorite toy. It looks different now, that we had to give it a new body, and patch up his ears a few times. Cano was sad when we had to take it away to fix it, but he loves it just the same, even though it looks completly different now. He is a really happy boy. He makes being home alone all the time, while my husband is at work, so exciting. I am sure when my husband leaves to go to Iraq or Korea, he will keep me great company.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok everyone, just took a few pictures of Cano. I found his old towel, and look at the difference. He hardly fits under it anymore! I also have a picture of him playing with his favorite toy, his bunny. You can tell he has sure drug it around alot. It is going to need a new body , again, in a few more months.

We have found one reason why he got so hyper. We tried keeping him outside alot during the day, and now when he comes in, he just walks around for a while, then lays down by the tv. He hasn't ran in the house the past couple of days. Except for today, he has to stay in until later this afternoon, because the lawn care providers are mowing the neighborhood today, so he is driving me a bit crazy right now.

I am hoping that one day we are able to find a female as precious as he is. He is so well behaved that I would like to have his puppies running around one day. He has good genes, and I think his pups would turn out as well mannered and as gentle as he is.
Attached Images

Old October 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Lilith, not to sound rude or anything, but are you a breeder? Why would you want to breed more puppies for shelters? Do you have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase Cano's pups?

I really don't want to sound rude or anything, and I'm sorry if you feel that I am, but it seriously disturbs me when people breed their dogs for no reason. There is no reason for you to breed your dog. Just because he's cute and you think his pups will be too, is no reason to breed. Shelters are full of labs and lab crosses, so why not do the responsible thing and neuter him?

Quote:
I am hoping that one day we are able to find a female as precious as he is. He is so well behaved that I would like to have his puppies running around one day. He has good genes, and I think his pups would turn out as well mannered and as gentle as he is.
Old October 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

No we aren't breeders. We would like to have a few more pups like him. And our families would like some too. We would like to have just one litter is all. You see, we plan on moving back to the country after my husband is out of the Military. And we want to have more yellow labs, and we think Cano would make puppies that are just as well behaved as he is. The only way we would actually become breeders is if we had families lined up for puppies prior to them being born. And if we could gaurantee 100% that they would have a loving home and would not go to a shelter. We are against giving animals to a shelter, and feel bad for animals that spend their lives there. I am sorry if you thought we were breeders. All we want is one litter from him, and the female (if we find one with good qualities) then they would both be fixed.
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Take him for brisk walks, bike rides, or play a fast game of fetch. Do this two or more times a day. Try to obedience train him so that he will listen to you.
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

We have been playing frisbee with him a few times a day now, and he is alot calmer and listens better too thanks to everyone who posted.
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Oh, okay, I see. As long as you are keeping the pups and only giving away to family that you know aren't gonna just dump them in shelters when they become to hyper. Just make sure he gets neutered after the one. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I know how confusing it may have sounded. I should have worded it differently. I am sorry if I mislead you. The pups will be for us, and won't be sold.
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:07 PM

No worries! Thanks for clearing it up now!
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:26 PM
banned user

What about this

Hey I know how it is to love a dog and wish for one more just like it. I have a idea.... Neuter your boy and go to the shelter and I bet you will find one just a sweet and loving. We lost our Lab in April and wanted a dog just like him, well Blaze is a Golden Retriever but love him the same. Blaze has helped with our lose but Blaze also is Kaiger living on in our hearts cause we believe that. What do you think, hey check out the shelter or rescue when ready for one more lovable Lab.
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes, it's good to find a youngster to be a companion for an older dog. The youngster learns so much from the elder, and it seems to rejuvenate the old-timer. You need to handle this well so that it doesn't just cause stress.