Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 24th, 2017, 08:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

JD almost had a little brother...

Some unscrupulous someone is still dumping cats in the area. Found another a couple days ago when I was putting out some bird seed. I thought I was hearing a catbird, but when I peered under the thickets, I saw a beautiful black kitty with startlingly yellow eyes. It was another male, about 6 to 8 months old, and starving... He was a little leery at first, but when I tossed out some kibble, he came out right away. Before too long, he was purring in my arms and I was stuck wondering what the heck we were going to do with this one!

Regardless of what place kitty would ultimately end up in, he would need to be examined and get his first needles, so into the city we went. And, while there, one of the techs was kind enough to make some calls and found a place for him.

It is always so astounding to me how very attached I get in such a very short time. Yes, I cried when we left him at the clinic. Breaks my heart that he probably thought he'd just been dumped again... But he's such a sweetie that I'm sure he'll be a hit at his new home. Still...

Anyway, this is the boy that almost became JD's little brother, dubbed "Midnight" since we needed a name for the file at the vet and "Stray" just didn't cut it with me...

Name:  Midnight 8-22-16 A.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  Midnight 8-22-16 C.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  121.9 KB

Wish we could have kept him, but it's already difficult juggling cat and dogs so they all get enough human interaction, when Brier is still more inclined to eat JD than to play with him. What a lovely cat he was, though. And although we feel sad, we at least have the satisfaction of knowing that he's safe.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

You did the right thing but I totally feel for you - just a bit of purring in the arms and we want to keep them ALL!

You helped find a new home for a kitty

what a cutie!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We're actually rethinking work on the shed. It has a screened porch on it that we've been meaning to make into more of a three-season deal by closing it off with windows instead of screening. It would make the ideal spot for a kitty half-way house. Our house is so small that right now we have no place to isolate a stray inside, which makes it difficult. So now we're thinking that maybe the porch windows are going to be next summer's project--a little earlier than budgeted, but it would make our cat rescues (which seem to be a growing trend ) a little less stressful since we'd have a place to shelter them and wouldn't need to make these split second decisions on what to do. As it was, we had to drop everything, call the vet for an appt, and drive him the 50 miles into town... So the day was pretty much shot...and then, of course, we were feeling depressed because we didn't bring him home with us...even though we had no space for him. (I need a smiley with head thrown back and back of hand to forehead--you know--very melodramatic! I suppose if this is the most dire problem we face, we should be grateful. )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

What a handsome cat Midnight is hazel ! I love the idea of having a halfway house for abandoned . It looks like someone doesn't like black cats and is abandoning them in the woods . I sure hope that monster will be found and arrested. I bet if you started a Go fund me cat lovers will help you get your halfway house fixed up.
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They're not all black. They are all solid colors, though--or nearly so. JD is mostly white with a few red tabby markings in places typical of Turkish Vans. There was a large, pale cinnamon cat with no distiguishing patches and another very dark cat that we saw last winter for a few days before it disappeared. That last one might have been a tortie, but it would have been very dark colors--mostly dark brown and black, I think. It looked mottled, but I never got close enough to that one during daylight to tell for sure. None of them have been typical tabbies. That's why I'm thinking it's someone actually breeding for the coat color and not feral cats just meeting up and having litters in the woods...

Unscrupulous and heartless as the person(s) responsible might be, they likely wouldn't be arrested even if caught. Slap on the wrist, maybe. Unless they pressed charges for animal cruelty, but it's a hard sell since everyone and their brother seems to think that cats can fend for themselves in the woods, even if they were raised in a house! *sigh*

We were going to do the porch on the shed, anyway, because it's nice to sit out there (so nice, we moved the yard swing in under the roof), but the red squirrels keep chewing holes in the screening to get inside to nest. If we add the windows, it'll keep the squirrels out, but we can still open the windows and get a nice breeze when we're sitting out there. It wasn't until we found Midnight and realized we had no place to keep him separate that we thought the porch might also make a nice Cat Motel. With luck, we won't need to use it. I wouldn't complain if we never saw another stray....

Old August 25th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I forgot about JD being a recuse cat . I am still seeing that black cat around my condo . It was here recently and when I went outside it ran off . I want to leave some of Marty's food out but the chipmunks will most likely get to it first . I wish I knew if the cat was homeless or someone pet so I won't be worried about it this winter.