Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 25th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Unhappy My puppy had an accident yesterday.

Yesterday my baby candi was out back playing. when i let her in i notice that there was blood all over her paw, when i looked closer her dew claw had been riped off. of course i rushed her to the vet and they removed the rest of her nail and gave me pain meds for her and bandaged it up. I have to go back tomarrow to have them inspect the wound. I had thought about getting her dew claws removed when i got her spayed but thought that because she is mostly inside it wouldn't matter. big mistake.
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Queen

Poor puppy Hope the little sweetie feels better soon.
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww poor puppy! The only time you should have dew claws removed on an older puppy or dog is if they are very loose and floppy and just dangling.

If they are firmly attached, you should leave them because this is not pleasant surgery and there can be problems afterwards. Just keep the nails on them cut short.
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Poor Candi :sad: Hope she recovers fast. We had our dogs hind leg dew claws removed at the vets insistence. Very loose and dangly. Recovery was not pleasant as Lucky Rescue said but I guess it was the lesser of two evils. Hugs to your darling :love:
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Candi big hug for her.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, you say as a pup what would be the age limit on that?? my mum has been saying her 8mth old pup has dangly dew claws and that she worries, i just thought she was being over the top as i have never heard of it before. i hope hes not too old for removal, he is shizu X and tiny and like jackie said not doing i t was a big mistake. poor puppies

opps maybe i should listen to her once in a while, she may jsut be telling us something i think i best give her a ring about this one.....
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM

she does not have dew claws on the back but only on the front. hers unfortunetly are very loose and dangly. i try to keep the nails as short as possible but because they are so loose and dangly it got caught on the fence. thanks for the concern i took her back to the vet and had the bandage removed (which she already removed herself so i had to reaply it myself) and the vet said everything is fine and there isn't any infection. so she is doing really well.
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Is the dew claw the little extra toenail on the back of their paws. Charming is a GSD mix with doberman and he has one but Meat Loaf is a Brittany Spanial mix and he does not. Someone told me to get it cut off but I was not sure. They are 8 mts old. What do you all think.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Yes it is the little extra claw on the foot, a little higher up than the rest. some dogs have them on the front and the back, some just on the front. You can have it removed but I wouldn't unless it's really loose and dangly, and can be easily caught on things. as long as you keep the nail cut short it shouldn't cause any problems unless it's really loose like Candi's was.
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM

It's like an extra toe. Some dogs have them, some don't. My Herc had very dangly back ones, but his front ones are tight to his paw and dont dangle. I don't think a good vet would recommend removing them unless they were very dangly. Herc's back ones were removed at the same time he was neutered (about 10 months old) and the recovery was brutal. He kept removing the bandages and re-opening the wound. He kept breaking the cone collars. And licking licking licking. I honestly thought they would NEVER heal. At the time I felt like the worst person in the world but now I am glad we had it done because the risk of them tearing was very high.

I think he knows I am talking about him right now. He just came over to me and groaned loudly, like "Stop embarrassing me Mom."
Gotta go!
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara was only 4 days old when I first met her in January of 1999.

I was clueless on what was ahead of me.

2 females, 6 males. Tail docks & dewclaws. This is not a frightening experience for the puppies if done right & before they are 5 days old.

Most Rotti's have double dews, as did Ciara. These tend to bleed a tad bit more, we rely on the sutures and mom's care..and I never saw a call back.

Ciara was the last of the litter. No one wanted her. She had the overbite. (Rotti's outgrow the overbite...no bullwinkle looks for them!)
So the owner wanted me to take her for the weekend while she was away..Ciara was in for her final vaxs...and alone. "Try her for the weekend"..if it doesn't work...I'll pick her up Monday...

I could make payments too since I worked for the vet.

Yeah....right.

The rest is history......
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
owned by Tucker

My last dog had back dew claws removed a 6 months when he was fixed. What a pain in the butt, he tore out the stiches, they got infected and had to be restiched. Our vet recommended it as he ran through the bush alot at our cottage and his claws were loose, it took quite awhile to heal up, but I also had a friend thats dog tore her dew claw and ended up with emergency surgery, so I don't know what is the worse of the two evils.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM

yeah the recovery is very hard. you have to keep a close eye on them, not too practical when you have to go to work but lucky for me I can bring Candi with me. I'm not going to put her through it unless for some reason she needs to go under for something else. Normally I would just leave the dews there but this experience scarred me so i'm unsure what i'm going to do. the vet told me i was lucky, she had a dog in once that had it's dew claw ripped off completely and they couldn't stop the bleeding and unfourtunetly the dog didn't make it. lucky for me the nail just ripped so the vet removed the rest of it and gave her some pain meds and sent me home. but she did tell me to think about having them removed next time she goes under for something like a dental cleaning because they are really loose and at risk to be torn completely off. I don't know that i'll do it yet but i'm going to think about it. any in put everyone?
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:08 PM

If they're very dangly I would do it. She will heal then you won't have to worry anymore.