Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old September 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM

De-clawed, female cat for Adoption

She's a year old, fixed and up to date on all vaccines. She's black with some white and red. Doesn't like loud noises and takes a little time to come around. Would be fine with other cats, but no children (they scare her too much). I'm helping to find a home for her. Adoption fee: $90.
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a Petfinder site? If not, send me a pic of this girl (or post it here) and tell me her name, and I will list her on MY site.

Not too difficult to get a home for a declawed cat.
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Lucky :)

Hey there. I don't have a picture of her at the moment. I should be getting one in the next couple of days. Thank you for the offer.

I do however have a picture of the kitten I found the other morning. Let's just say, he's camera shy. I have a question about something he does though. He's been trying to nurse himself. I'm not talking about licking spots, I'm talking down right sucking on things. You know, that didn't sound right Is this normal? He's got little nipples and he's going crazy on them.
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

He's nursing on HIMSELF?? You must stop that,even if you have to put an Elizabethan collar on him when you can't watch him, or he could do himself damage. If he does it when you are watching him, distract him with a kitty toy.

Send me pics as soon as you have them. As I'm sure YOU know, pictures are 90% of getting animals adopted.
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Mr. Maggoo

This is the kitten I rescued earlier this week. He needs a home and is currently up for adoption. Here's a recap: He's 6 months old. Has been treated for fleas, worms and vaccinations. Will go on the 20th of September to be neutered. Very friendly and loves to cuddle. He's great with kids and likes other cats.

Lucky, would you by chance have a white kitten looking for a home? We had someone contact us, and she would like a white kitten. Let me know
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Mr Knight in shining armor! Mr Magooo would be a great companion for Trixie Like I always say,two is much better than one....
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Is Magoo the one who is nursing on himself?

I'll put this guy on my site ASAP!

No, we have no white kittens- have every other colour BUT - but if we do I'll post it here.
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Mr Knight in shining armor! Mr Magooo would be a great companion for Trixie Like I always say,two is much better than one....
lol OMG he's so CUTE!! ..look Trixy it's your long lost cousin lol...

Chico my dear.. we got 2x kitty's that will be moving from Scotland to live with Trixy next year..
Kizzy and Davina..
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Lucky

Yes, he's the one who nurses on himself. We try to distract him, but he's very persistent about continuing. As soon as you pick him up, he's all relaxed and purrs like a freight train. He's vocal when he wants attention, but not to the point of sounding like his tail is caught in a slammed door.

Thank you Lucky for offering to put him on your site. If you know of someone with a white kitten, let me know. I will refer this person to them. I don't mind helping out other people because in the end, it's all about a cat/kitten finding a great home. Thank you again for all your help!!!

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Update :)

I found her a new home and her adoption took place on Sunday Oct. 3rd And Mr. Maggoo was adopted the same day
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Declawing- for or against

I know a lot of you are against declawing of cats. However i had many cats all of which have been declawed with NO PROBLEM. All the cats that have been declawed do not even know they don't have claws. They are FINE! they enjoy living, are exactly like any other cat that have claws. Let people have their own opinion and just because they want to declaw their cats does not mean they dont want them. I have 3 kittens and love them all dearly. Let people make their own choices.
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

:sad:This is a very old post.

*Bites tongue on the declawing comments*

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayzeskyz View Post
Let people make their own choices.
And the cats? What about their choice? I'm sure if you were able to actually ask them, they would prefer not to have their toes hacked off for the sake of your couch. http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I disagree with declawing as well. I have had cats all of my 39 years and have NEVER had to rip their little fingers apart! I train them to scratch on their posts...there are MANY ways to train kitties to use their scratch posts...yes, sometimes it takes patience, but worth it. Personally I think (and I will ruffle feathers saying this) de-clawing is the lazy person's way.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
banned user

Where do you draw the line? We recently got our cat declawed (i hated doing this and so did my mother) But its certainly not because we are lazy.. We have been working with Aqua since the day we got her, trying to teach her not to claw, Its worked with our other cats but not with her. We've tried products like fake nails ect. But that doesnt stop her at all! She finds a way. As soon as we would apply a product to her, she would go nuts trying to get it off, and she was always succesful. most cases of declawing are succesful and few are bad even down the line around here anyways.We are fully aware of the risk factors, but there are also risks in getting your cat spayed/neutered BUt we do it , dont we? I am against declawing, but to a certain extent. Declawing is not just for the lazy people, its also for the people that have tried everything possible, besides declawing, and it hasnt worked. It was either get her declawed, OR get "rid" of her. ANd we certainly were not going to do that.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Katherine,for some people,like me,I would not ever consider declawing a cat,no matter what the circumstances,you get a cat,scratches will happen,that's it..
What about dogs,chewing on furniture,scratching the wood-floor,why are dogs not declawed,why not pull their teeth so they cannot chew?
We humans do things to animals for our own convenience,not with the animals welfare in mind,any mutilation should be out-lawed as it is in most civilized countries. Getting off my soap-box
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine93 View Post
Where do you draw the line?
See, the thing is, I value my cat's health and happiness far above any material possessions I have. A couch is just a couch. You sit on it, big deal. My cat's claws are a part of him, and he's my little buddy that follows me around the house all day and trusts that I will look after his every need and protect him from harm. For me, it comes down to this: which one is going to break my heart more when it's time to "go", the couch or the cat? There's no competition.

And for those that don't think de-clawing is a big deal, it's actually one of the most painful procedures to be performed on a cat. It's what they test the efficacy of new painkillers on. Nice.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
See, the thing is, I value my cat's health and happiness far above any material possessions I have. A couch is just a couch.
That goes from me too. I have many damages in my house , from the cats , the dogs , the fosters .... if I would mind , I shouldn't have animals.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no line to be drawn. It is a horrible and traumatic thing to do to a cat to declaw it. It is not simple surgery and no declawed cat is ever the same. I hear some people claim they are but my medical and scientific background behooves me to believe that!! I have reads too many studies.

We - the US and Canada- are the only countries stupid enough to allow legislation permitting this cruel punishing practice. For me, there would never be a reason for such a thing. It is crippling and it is traumatic psychologically. <More declawed cats end up at shelters than any others. (35% of cats brought into to our local shelter are declawed and we live i an area with a low rate of declawing (the maritimes in not noted for having vets who believe in it,. thank God!)

With all due respect, I cannot imagine any scenario in which one would amputate toes s your furniture is OK. That is just ridiculous. If one feels that weay, do not get an animal. Buy a stuffed toy. Katherine, I am sorry your mother did that - could you not have moved out? Or made some arrangement? That is a live animal with feelings and this is a very painful surgery - often not treated well for pain -.

It is illegal everywhere except here - north America and more communities are outlawing it and I hope soon enough we will have laws against it here as well. Almost every cat I have seen declawed has ended up with problems- they become a biter oor they are more worried, they will jump high so they ensure no one can attack them. They can become fearful and they will do other things worse than chewing some silly piece of furniture.

Especially when they are more humane alternatives, I fail to understand why people do not take the time to educate themselves about it. I just do not understand anyone who would give a cat literally a death sentence because let;s face it, cats can and do get outside and how does a declawed cat defend herself against other animals or peple who will do them harm? They can't so if they happen to run into a larger animal, that's it. Now I realize most do not die but more declawed cats do die tahn do those with claws - they somehow wiggle outside and the next thing you know ,mthey havwe no clawes to climb tress or to fight that large animal who is after them. There is a very good reason they have claws.

If not death, the most common medical problem declawed cats- who usually end up being either put to sleep (such a nice sounding way of being killed) or living a life or pain, is severe arthritis. With no claws, they are forced to walk in a manner unusual to what cats should do. my vet says any vet who declaws a cat should loose their licence and I agree with her. Would we amputate a child's toes because they kicked the couch? Nop, I don't think so.

I know I am angry but I cannot abide declawing. I cannot believe any cat lover would do that to their cat and many who do it without the knowledge of its full effect are sorry later but I do wish they'd do the research first!!! I am so sorry for your cat Katherine. Please help her as much as you can - give her extra love, make her feel secure and find ways of playing - allow her paws to heal (It can take a year for them to heal properly!).
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Swift Tribe

you all know how i feel about declawing... but i have to disagree. my cats emotional well being is *not* more important than my home. its not about couches.... if cats just scratched couches, only the shallowest of people would get their pets declawed. its scratching walls.... window frames, door jambs, carpeting, stair railings... i can tell you MY cats have probably done at least $5k damage to the inside of the house and they arent even peeing on the floor!!!

my dog chewed a leg to an antique buffet... hardly comparable damage.

my home doesnt just contain ME, it also contains my children. the $5k i will have to spend to replace (thats not including the carpeting of which is ancient to begin with) the things they scratched up is a year of college for Cailyn. its way more than the new bed she so painfully needs (she is a former bed wetter!!) its half (almost) of our revolving debt, its 4 months of mortgage payments... these things all effect my childrens quality of life, it effects their future, etc. i think if we were looking at $10k of damage or higher, i would seriously consider declawing. i know unquestionably that 2 of our cats would pine for us if we were to rehome them so that is not an option.

and lets not forget Riley. ()

just my .

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
Buy a stuffed toy. Katherine, I am sorry your mother did that - could you not have moved out? Or made some arrangement? That is a live animal with feelings and this is a very painful surgery - often not treated well for pain -.
not to butt heads again Cyberkitten but i think suggesting a 15yo move out of her mothers house over a declawed cat (or for any reason other than abuse) is highly irresponsible bordering on criminal.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Kitty pimp

i am sorry cyberkitten but i disagree also i know its a terrible practice
but sometimes its the only way Yes I know there are alternatives but sometomes they do not work and the chouce is either getting rid of the cat or declawing it I have known a few cats that went on to lead very noce lives after being de clawed and yes they were pretty much the same cat
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said Cyberkitten

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
i think if we were looking at $10k of damage or higher, i would seriously consider declawing.

Wow, those are some destructo-cats you got. But here's something to think about: what if declawing wasn't an option? What if it was banned here like it is in so many countries? What would you do then? I think the fact that it is still legal allows declawing to exist in people's minds as an acceptable option, when really it shouldn't be.

Old June 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Swift Tribe

they get a real kick out of scratching door jambs, flooring, cabinets, the wood pieces between the panes of glass on the back door.... they arent inexpensive things to fix or replace. i mean, the economy is is bad enough that if we had to sell the house because we couldnt afford it we couldnt right now its such a mess. we have to completely replace the railing to the stairs, more than 3/4 of the supports have extensive damage from the cats scratching. since they did so much damage... i put double sided tape onto it thinking they would learn to eventually leave it alone... they have managed to scratch around it and the tape...

i have no less than 5 of those cardboard scratchers... a slanted carpet scratcher, a carpeted one that hangs onthe wall (covering their first scratching spree), two wooden ones with left over molding from someone elses house all around it.... thinking it might look good since they scratch so much of the wood in the house and one of those rope ones... and a really tall carpeted scratcher. they all get used but not asmuch as our walls... we tried caps on Shadow.... he chewed them off. i am HOME so i see most of when they do this unless its at night and im sleeping... and frankly i think i stress the snot out of them by squirting them with water when they scratch.

we still havent figured out what we are going to do when we start gettign ready to sell the house.

when i started here iw as quite upset about declawing. i cant remember who it was that said a home is more important than your cats claws. in other words if it came between rehoming my cats or declawing them... i would declaw in a heart beat. i highly doubt it will ever come to that but thats how i feel about it. likely we will find a temp home for the few months we work towards restoring the house and when we move... live in a concrete house.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Wow, those are some destructo-cats you got. But here's something to think about: what if declawing wasn't an option? What if it was banned here like it is in so many countries? What would you do then? I think the fact that it is still legal allows declawing to exist in people's minds as an acceptable option, when really it shouldn't be.
the short answer to that thought would be to find them a new home and have a catless house.

in the grand scheme of things thats 4 cat spots in my house that will no longer be available and either 4 cats euthanized (over my dead body), made outdoor cats out in the country somewhere or put in homes that could have held 4 other cats.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

As I type Onnie is scratching the heck out of the sofa Im sitting on. He likes to scratch those and the beds oh and the carpet runner for the stairs. Other than that he's ok. I have many cat scratchers and tried endlessly to train him. I also always trim their nails to minimise their damage but lets face it our carpet runner looks like crap.

That being said Im not about to declaw my cat over a runner and a sofa. I dont know my stance if my house was being completely destroyed though- don't get me wrong I am against declawing and have steered away many other people from declawing but until ure in that position where its costing you thousands and thousands and the only other option is to rehome where more likely than not they will probably declaw the cat anyway I think its easy to say "I would never do that".
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
... live in a concrete house.
That's my dream home!! Not because of a cat-scratching issue, but it would be so practical. Especially if there was a floor drain in the middle and a high-powered hose and all my furniture was on wheels.

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

It would be so easy to clean up hairballs and "accidents" too...and for my allergies Id just power wash the house after wheeling all my furniture out...just have big drains in the centre of the room or something.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
That's my dream home!! Not because of a cat-scratching issue, but it would be so practical. Especially if there was a floor drain in the middle and a high-powered hose and all my furniture was on wheels.
WELL!!! thats the plan anyway. i think we are going to do bamboo in all the rooms but the kitchen and have that rubber flooring (yes with a drain) put in the kitchen. THATS our solution to scratching cats anyway. Chris and i have actually talked quite a bit about pet/kid damage to the house and also about energy efficiency. concrete/brick seems to fit the bill in a lot of ways. but thats a totally different thread!!!

i also want to point out (again) that none of this is ANY reason for Katherine to even think about moving out of her mothers home.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09