Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:13 PM

Lightbulb Wanting to build a dog park within my gated community (I'm the manager)

I just took over a 60 unit community that has a lot of dogs, of various sizes. I personally don't own an animal due to my life style. however i would love to give the furry tenants of my community a place to play and socialize with other furry tenants and people.
I don't have a huge budget for this (in fact I don't have one lol) but I have a lot of lumber and tires and other stuff just laying around the 88 acres. That was told we could do what ever we want with it. So i want to put it to better use then hiding under snow or rotting away to nothing.

I was wondering what people like and don't like or what their furry friends like and don't like at a dog park? ANY suggestion is much appreciated.

I don't have the ability to have running water, but trying to come up with an idea that can have a tank of water that can be filled every week for the 3 weeks of summer here lol

TIA
Old January 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't go to dog parks because the three closest to me are tiny, 2, 7 and 20 acres. You might not think the latter two are that small but the 7 acre one has a hill, people can't, or won't, climb the hill so everyone congregates at the gate - bingo - problems. The 20 acre one is long and narrow, has some nice bush, but again, people don't walk to the end and even if they did, it's crowded at the entry/exit. So, can you use the whole 88 acres?

Fence, it must be fenced. I tried the 7 acre one once. It bordered a busy, high speed highway and the fence was not secure, broken right down in some places. Very dangerous.

Have you looked into what insurance you'd have to carry?
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

First off - welcome to the forum and i think this is a nice thing that you are proposing for your tenants.

I'd say definitely look into the insurance thing - or put up a sign that says 'area/ dogpark' to be used at your own risk. Make sure it's all legal.

A set of rules on the fence (needs to have a secure fence) is probably a good thing as well.

- a garbage can or two with a secure cover would be wise. maybe old chairs or milk crates (or better if u have) for the humans to sit on.

- Something to hold plastic bags so that people can pick up after their pet. (should be rule # 1 or 2 :0 )

if more ideas pop, I'll add them in.
Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM

Thank you for the ideas,

there is only about 15 dogs here full time we are out in the countryside and no i cant use the hole 88 acres as the community is set on it, and most of it is very dense bush, there would be about 5-10 acres that i could use.
the park would be use at own risk;

is there anything like obstacle course or things for the dogs to play on or climb on under or go through that work at other parks?

TIA
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, I was sort of kidding on the whole 88 acres, but I tried.

Anything you put in as obstacles might cause injury if dogs crash into it. I have seen dog parks with agility equipment in and competitive agility people exclaiming in horror about untrained owners using it improperly. If there are trees dogs can have great fun chasing each other around them and you would not run the risk of someone complaining about introduced items.

Probably one thing that would be very well liked would be a pond if there is a source of fresh water. A source of fresh water probably means you need municipal, maybe state or provincial, environmental authorization to dig the pond as it would/might alter a water course somewhere. Failing that a big wading pool? I do take my dog to a large piece of crown land and the pond is very popular in summer. Also a hazard in winter and an owner had to be rescued when she went through last winter, trying to rescue her dog. Both were fine.

Sorry, I come from insurance and my OH was a provincial guy ok'ing pond construction. That's why I see obstacles that might be remote.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

It would be great if you have a fenced in area for small dogs only. I would be concerned about a child getting hurt so you would need to made no children are allowed in the fenced in area for dogs. I would talk a lawyer and find out what kind of liability insurance you'll need to protect yourself .
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:51 PM

Thanks, I think a large "pool" that we can take out in the winter in northwest part of AB so with the way winters going right now I dont want to deal with frozen water lol,

the park would be fenced in with a gate ( I dont want the pups to get free and run into the bush that surrounds us)

This would be use at own risk and liability would be on the people who use it, Ive checked with my insurance person and as long as I post that the rules I should be fine.

theres nothing under ground here as were on a well system for water, its why i was trying to come up with a way to have water during the months the park would be used, like the pool idea Longblades

I will be looking into a DIY water area (splash pad again this is another use at own risk not liable for anything) for the kids .....so I might take something that i have from there that has a circulating water with filter so the pups and dogs are able to walk up and take fresh water too

Should there be any kind of hills for the dogs to run up or just a flat surface?
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I think some hills would be nice as long you can see what the dogs are up to.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Hills are always great.. also an area they can dig in the sand.. I know at our park we go by the river and while everyone is visiting at the beach the dogs will play and dig. It one of the few places that people allow the dogs o dig instead of digging at home