Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Dogs and Furballs?!?!?

Can a dog get a furball? Some of you may remember just about 2 weeks ago we had to put my mom's 13 year old dog down, due to him having seizures, a lump in his stomach and his liver enzymes being 10x's higher than normal.

During that stressful time Sprocket started vomitting (7 times in one day), we took him to the vet the next day and he was put on medication as a precaution, as there was no evidence he had an obstruction. Anyhow, this was August 26/27, all has been well since then, with the exception of vomitting on Tuesday, I took a few hours off of work in the morning to monitor him until my husband was off work and all has been ok since then. On Tuesday night however, I woke to Sprocket vomitting again, looked on the floor where he had been sick and saw nothing. I couldn't sleep after that because I was worried about him and the fact that he would no longer sleep on my side of the bed told me something was there that I missed. When I got up for work I saw a pile of what looked like poop (it was still fairly dark in the room) and made comment to my husband that I would get rid of it when I got changed for work, but he was already up checking it out. A few minutes later my husband told me it was a huge hair ball and showed me what he picked up. No word of a lie, this thing was huge, the only thing I can think of is that when I was brushing him the night before I didn't pick up all the hair and Sprocket at it. He seems to really like eating his fur, but never gets the chance because I put it in the garbage right away.

Obviously we were happy Sprocket vomitted because of a furball and not because of his sickness a week prior, but it's odd that he "coughed" up a furball period. I've never had a dog with longer hair and have never seen a dog with a furball.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Dianne
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I've seen a few hairballs ...

but I'm a cat person, and I have never heard any of my brothers (all dog-lovers) mention this.

If they continue, maybe ask your vet about trying Papaya enzyme tablets? My vet actually recommended them for my cat, it's supposed to help the hairball be broken down and digested out to the other end!

My cat's 11 lbs, and we're giving her a 1/4 tablet every second day for a 10 days, and then just 2x/wk, for maintenance.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM
-

I've seen hair in my dog's poop and they have thrown up hair but never a hairball. Is it possible he might have eaten a small rodent or the carcass of one while outside ?
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM

He couldn't have eaten anything outside, we're always with him when he's out. I guess to be techically correct, it's not really so much of a hairball, it's just a large amount of fur that came out when he vomitted. I was actually brushing him the night before on the floor and must have missed some of the fur when I threw it in the garbage. He seems to really like eating his fur (I guess he's hiding evidence of his whereabouts..lol). I'm not too worried, but just think it's odd more than anything. He keeps us on our toes, that's for sure.

Dianne
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
-

Yup, they each have their own little quirks !