Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thumbs up So, Tell Me About Canada

I've always wanted to move to Canada, and for the last couple years have been researching things like different places, real estate, home prices, ect. I'd love to be able to move to Canada within the next 3 years, and within the next 1-2 years, take a trip up there and really start scouting area's out in person (I live in the southern US, so it'd be quite a trip). However, I still have no clue where I want to go, so it'd be really helpful if all you Canadian's told me a bit about the different area's, and the pro's and con's.

First, I originally always had my heart set on Vancouver. However, I've realized that the housing market there is extremely expensive. So my other place I had my heart set on was the Nova Scotia region.

In researching real estate in the Nova Scotia region, I realized that the property is SUPER cheap. I was finding house after house that's 4 bedrooms on like 10 acres of land for around $100,000.

I'm looking for something that's a little country, but within reasonable driving distance to a city. Something with land, like between 5-10 acres would be nice, for the dogs. Low crime is a BIGGIE. I want an area that's known for a relatively low crime rate.

So... tell me what area of Canada you live in, and tell me a bit about it.

How long have you lived there, what's the crime rate like, is it a safe area, and any other pro's and cons. What do you like about it, what do you not like about it, ect.

Thanks guys.

Mom to the rescue crew:

Sam - 2y/o terrier mix | Annie - 9y/o whippet mix | Callie - 6y/o dachshund | Caeli - 5y/o dachshund | Gracie - 9y/o dachshund
Mattie - 12y/o dachshund | Rosie - 3y/o dachshund | Gage - 1y/o dachshund | Bo - 10y/o beagle | Katie - 4y/o beagle mix
Jake - 11 y/o shih tzu | Triumph - 2y/o shih tzu mix | Lily - 3y/o shih tzu | Emmy - 2y/o chihuahua mix | Audubon - 8y/o pointer mix
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Are you independently wealthy, retired or will you be working?

What are your hobbies/interests? Do you mind the cold? The cold damp? Do you prefer more sunshine?

There are really no super high crime areas in Canada, not like the States.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

if when you retire and will be able to collect a pension from both countries, you'll need to live in an area close to a border so you can report there once a month to collect and sign for your pension.
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

The thing about Nova Scotia and surrounding areas on the East Coast is that there is literally very little work. My family is out that way and the only one left is my retired grandfather and my uncle. Everyone else has travelled to Ontario or farther west (I'm in AB).

Ideally we would love to eventually live in Nova Scotia too. It's beautiful there - everywhere you go...but again, employment is the main concern.

I personally think Alberta is a wonderful province to live in. We have a lot of variety here as far as scenery is concerned (from flat plains, to mountains, to valleys, etc) and the cost of living is reasonable. Lots of employment.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

having been to alberta i have to disagree bailey, your cost of living is much higher than this side of the country. As for the east coast it would depend on what you do for a living whether or not there is jobs available. If you are retiring i would highly recommend the east coast, more land, housing is much cheaper. Newfoundland and Nova Scotia get more snow than Ontario by far but isn't as cold as it gets here.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM

I have a friend in Ontario that's been telling me about the Ottawa and surrounding area.

As far as me: I'm relatively young (25), and will be working mostly in the health care field. I'm certified as a CNA, and will probably be going for my LPN and then RN eventually. Not a concrete plan, but likely the plan no less.

Given my age, I'm also obviously far from retirement age.

Also, I am FAR from indepently wealthy. Which is why Vancouver quickly became out of the question. I need an area with affordability.

I love the cold, but I don't want to be snowed in 8 months out of the year, which is why I do not want to go too far north into Canada. I love sunshine as well.

Hobbies or interests... I'd like somewhere close to a lake for fishing and photography. Nice country scenery and trails would be nice, somewhere where I can take the dogs for a nice hike (but not get lost in the wilderness, LOL).

But also semi close (within 20-30 minutes driving distance) to a city, where I can go shopping, have a veterinary clinic, doctor's office, grocery store, ect.

Mom to the rescue crew:

Sam - 2y/o terrier mix | Annie - 9y/o whippet mix | Callie - 6y/o dachshund | Caeli - 5y/o dachshund | Gracie - 9y/o dachshund
Mattie - 12y/o dachshund | Rosie - 3y/o dachshund | Gage - 1y/o dachshund | Bo - 10y/o beagle | Katie - 4y/o beagle mix
Jake - 11 y/o shih tzu | Triumph - 2y/o shih tzu mix | Lily - 3y/o shih tzu | Emmy - 2y/o chihuahua mix | Audubon - 8y/o pointer mix
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

then our area would be perfect for you if you're in the health care, toronto has a high cost of living, ottawa is so so....I'm in Cornwall, an hour from ottawa and its gorgeous here, we only own 1/3 acre with a 4 bedroom home (older remodeled) and the value is 120,000. taxes just 2200/yr, 3000 per yr for heat/elec and I can spit out my front door into the usa *L* Massen NY. oh and as for crime rate *L* I've often come home from a day of shopping to find my friends waiting in my kitchen with the coffee on, I often forget to lock my doors and have never had any trouble
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM

While the comparitive cost of living on Vancouver Island is pretty high, you may want to look at somewhere like Comox Valley, or even the Sooke or Port Renfrew area on Vancouver Island. Lots of nature, lots of space, great place for any outdoor activity, and out of the cities places get pretty rural and lots cheaper pretty quickly. Stay away from the immediate Greater Victoria area - that's the most pricey. But as soon as you go west or north of Vancouver, prices drop steadily.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

UTRANO - Both of my parents work for Capital Health here in AB and love it. My Dad is the fire marshal and coordinator for all of Northern AB. From what you're describing you're looking for, I have to again suggest Alberta...particularly Edmonton; especially if you are in healthcare.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

that's pretty much it, the closer to any of the cities you get the higher the prices.

i wasn't talking down east bailey, i'm in toronto.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Young at Heart

You are quite right - Vancouver real estate is sky high - but Vancouver Island is a different story altogether. Real estate in my area - between Nanaimo and Duncan is affordable - still more than the prairies though. There are more areas here to hike, fish, do almost any outdoor activity - than you could ever wish for.

The climate is more than acceptable - (not counting last winter which was highly unusual) - we get snow maybe twice a season and it normally lasts for a couple of days each time. The rain we are getting right now is, again, highly unusual, but we aren't shovelling it. Yes, some areas have flooded but those that did flood are on known flood plains.

Coming from Winnipeg, I really, really appreciate the temperate climate here and the ability to be outdoors all year.

I cannot speak about the working field though because I'm retired and don't pay any attention to the availability of jobs and such.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i wasn't talking down east bailey, i'm in toronto.
That IS East to me.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I have lived in Alberta and that really was one of the nicest provinces I lived in. People are great, lots of land with homes on the outskirts of the city. But - it is a little costly. Quebec is probably one of the most economical provinces to live in but again the language barrier may be an issue. BC - well that is God's country - enough said. Ontario I must say is gorgeous. There are areas that are more expensive than others but I think it's the best of all worlds really. I think your profession will take you safely just about anywhere in Canada - except for Quebec unless you speak alittle French.

Canada in general is safe. There are higher crime rate areas more so than others but I do not think it is like the US. I travelled alot in the US for my job, and I was given a 'map of warning' from my clients. Here it is not like that unless I have my head in the sand.

Move now - what is taking you so long?
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
-

There are pros and cons for all places in Canada.

Of course, BC can't be beat for scenery and the weather is not as extreme as alot of other areas and there are smaller places that are not ridiculously expensive yet.

Since a job is the most important thing for you try checking some of these websites to see where most of the opportunities are for you and go from there ....

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks guys, love all the suggestions so far! I am writing down everything and researching the places y'all are mentioning.

BenMax, I'd so move now if I had the money. Still have to save for the trip, down payment, taxes, ect. But I can't wait until I finally do get there.

Rainbow, I know there's pro's and con's for all area's. Which is why I said, tell me where you live, and what's the pro's and con's for your specific area.

Love the advice so far guys, thanks a ton!

Mom to the rescue crew:

Old November 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

The good thing is, it isn't as 'difficult' for you to move here than it would be for one of us Canucks to come to the states.

Which brings me to my question; have you already applied for citizenship here?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I love the cold, but I don't want to be snowed in 8 months out of the year, which is why I do not want to go too far north into Canada. I love sunshine as well.

Me thinks you better do more research on Canada. We have snow all year round! And igloos too!!

Ok, I'll be serious now. You have to go pretttyy far up north to find a place where there is snow 8 months out of the year. We have the normal four seasons. In fact it is mid Nov and our area has only seen a few flakes of snow so far. By mid March at the latest the snow around here is gone. Some years we have a green Christmas too. We have a growing season from May 24 weekend till, for some plant varieties, the end of September. We can have some freaky weather but so can the States.

You may want to evaluate the reasons you want to move to Canada. Unfortunately nursing is one of the careers that is suffering due to cutbacks. Unless you want to work in a nursing home dealing with our ever increasing aging population jobs may be a premium. Of course other areas of Canada may be different. I know the nurses I am acquainted with are always saying they are overworked, underpaid, and tired from having too many patients to care for. Not enough nurses to go around and with cutbacks no sign of it changing.
My son in law is from the States. He moved here to be with my daughter (obviously) but works in the computer field. There always seems to be jobs available for good IT folks.
I live near Niagara Falls. Approx 25 min away. We have 19 acres. Most of it in bush. Lots of deer, wildlife. We are close to two major cities - Hamilton and St Catharines. The town I live near is five minutes from me. There is numerous small towns around with lots of vets.
I used to live in Owen Sound. It is a smallish place but is designated a "city" because it's the biggest place in the area. It is surrounded by tourist area. There is lots of shopping but again, the nursing situation is not great. It is three hours north of where I am now.
I bet now you are even more confused, huh?

edit: Should also add real estate prices vary greatly from good to outrageous all in an hour's drive.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 24th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTANRO View Post
Rainbow, I know there's pro's and con's for all area's. Which is why I said, tell me where you live, and what's the pro's and con's for your specific area.
LOL ....well BC is the most beautiful place in Canada and only has one con ....the high real estate prices but that is mainly Vancouver, Victoria and some of the larger towns like Kelowna.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I would also recommend Vancouver Island (especially if you wanted to live in Vancouver; its just a ferry ride away for trips!) there are a ton of places here that would fit your bill here is the Vancouver Island health authorities website http://www.viha.ca/ they post most jobs on there (I’m not up on the lingo but I presume you would want to work at a hospital??). a few nice places (and not outrageously expensive) are places like Ladysmith, Sooke, Courtney, Campbell River, Erington… if you did come to check out the Island you can go from one end to the other in 8 hours so it would be completely doable to check it all out in one trip.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM

A friend of mine is a nurse - she lived and worked in Edmonton for decades and is now working in Victoria, and living west outside the Greater Victoria area. If you want, I can ask her if she'd be willing to discuss nursing options, housing and living prices in Victoria and Edmonton?
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
-

I agree with 14+kitties about the jobs in health care ....I think pretty much all the provinces have had huge cutbacks. :sad:

That's whay I posted the website for you to check out what's available since a job is your biggest concern imo.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Heehee! The Van Islers are coming out in this thread!
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
-

One more thing you are going to have to consider is the dog limit everywhere. I don't think there is one where I live just outside of Castlegar BC but there probably is one inside the town's boundaries.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
LOL ....well BC is the most beautiful place in Canada and only has one con ....the high real estate prices but that is mainly Vancouver, Victoria and some of the larger towns like Kelowna.
*cough, cough* says the lone Cape Bretoner on the board... I dare say we rival BC's beauty on this island if I do say so myself

Depending on someone's reasons for moving here,

pros:
-VERY low cost of living (you can find a really nice house in CBRM for less than 120K)
-beautiful scenery (voted one of the top tourist destinations in the world)
-lots of outdoor stuff to do (camping, skiing, diving, etc.)
-good medical facilities (fairly new hospital, new services)
-local university (CBU) and community college
-new dog park!

cons:
-high unemployment
-you have to really search out stuff to do in CBRM (culturally), it won't come to you
-the tar ponds (google it, ugh)

Most of my friends now are "come from away-ers" ... you either love it or hate it here. But those who love it, REALLY love it.

If you don't live here though it's a great place to visit! http://cbisland.com/index2.php

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

SolaMio - I agree with you - Nova Scotia certainly rivals the west coast for beauty. My family lives in Glace Bay. I am incredibly fond of Cape Breton... Miss it all the time!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I think half of Calgary's population is or was Cape Bretoners

That's where all my girlfriends moved... Six months after I moved "back home". Do I smell?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Very true...I know a TON of people from NS that moved to AB.

If only the employment rate was better...I bet you a LOT would go back!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Molly's mama

Utanro, You have come to the right place. Our Pets.ca members live all over the place!!! I do have one question for you- how many dogs would you be bringing with you???
I live in Sioux Lookout (Google it, it's basically in the smack-dab centre of Canada). It's in the province of Ontario. We experience all 4 seasons in their glory, this is a small town with low crime rates, and there are hundreds of lakes at our doorstep- my husband is a fishing guide here! A new hospital is being built in the community and there are definitely jobs up here, mostly serving the First Nations Peoples. The cost of living is relatively low. The only downfall is that you are a one hour drive away from WalMart!!
I would have to agree about BC and Alberta being expensive. The east coast is gorgeous, and cheaper as well.
Good luck, it won't be an easy decision!!
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Wow, great stuff guys.

While health care is what I am certified in, I've worked in nursing homes and a hospital. However, it's not concrete that I'll stay doing that. I've considering going back and getting an associates in computer programming. I've did the most work as a veterinary technician, however the state I live doesn't require certification. So, it'll be a bit useless with no cert'd when I move.

I haven't applied for any type of citizenship, or anything like that. At this point, it's in the beginning phases of just looking at all area's of Canada, and will eventually narrow down specific area's to visit within the next year or two.

There will be many things that will be checked into, like the limit on dogs (there will have to be no limit), and BSL. I know Ontario has their famous BSL law. While the no pit bull thing isn't a problem right now, I have owned a pit bull, I have fostered pit bulls, and I would reaaaallllyyyy like to not settle down somewhere that doesn't allow me to ever own a pit or pit mix.

But right now, I'm at the beginning of the "looking" phase, getting a general idea of the area's around Canada, their pro's and con's, so that over the next year I can start to graph out which area's I will be visiting to get a better idea of stuff.

Mom to the rescue crew:

Old November 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Hi Molly! I will likely be bringing all 15, but can't guarantee it. A couple are in ailing health, so I can't guarantee that they'll be with us when the move comes in 3 or so years. However, like I said, wherever I move has to have no pet limit. That's an absolute must. Where I live now is out in the country, in a tiny town, and there's no limit on how many dogs we can have.

Mom to the rescue crew: