Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Question Hi - New Member - Mom of Dixie

Our beautiful 5 1/2 yr. old cockapoo named Dixie has been diagnosed with disc problems. She weighs about 16 lbs. so is not overweight. She was at the vets for a week on steroids and other medication. They say she is better but her back left leg does not work well - put her on that leg with the toes bent back and she doesn't try to correct it as she does with the right rear leg. Having a hard time eliminating as she can't get into position and because of the Prednisone is peeing all of the time. We have to keep her from jumping, etc. Has anyone had any problems like this and if so what is the prognosis. Is there something else we should do besides let her back rest? Thanks for any help anyone has for her.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Has your vet discussed having a consult with a neuro surgeon to determine if surgery would be an option for your pup? I have extensive experience with disc related disease - specifically with 2 mini Dachshunds - and in each all of the neck and back discs were affected - worst case scenarios both times. Often only a couple of discs are affected. Our first guy went through the steroid treatments - 3 times - 2 weeks at vet's after each event (this was before surgery became a viable alternative) - when his neck went, there was no choice - surgery it was and he had full body - and recovered. Jump forward to June 2003 and our second guy paralyzed fast - too fast - and surgery was his only option and within 8 - 12 hours or no hope. So off we went to emergency neuro. In his case he had Stage II - which involves leaking of the nuclear fluid on to the spinal cord causing spinal cord death in affected areas. The form of disc disease does not appear on the MRIs and other major X-Rays that are taken. The neuro had been very optimistic of a full recovery - thinking Stage I. My pup regained 70% use of his legs, which is enough, but a relapse was inevitable with no chance of a second surgery, so we counted our blessings and 10 months to the day of this surgery he paralyzed again. Due to the various Stages of disc disease it is very hard to know outcome of surgery - there are absolutely no guarantees whatsover - and you absolutely have to follow the follow-up instructions. Unfortunately the surgery is very expensive - 2 discs or several - the neuro's fee, plus the very high cost of the X-Rays. Full body is very major surgery - a couple of discs - at least in my mind - is not - but I base this on my experience. Certainly you will need to keep your pup off the stairs - up and down, as well as lift on to bed and other furniture. If your pup is willing to use a ramp that would help. Bottom line is though often the event causing the next attack can be just walking down the hall and turning a corner. There is a leash called bottomsup that you attach to dog's hind end - this might be helpful. I saw it on-line after my guy passed - but dog needs to be 15 lbs. to use it - and my guys weighed 10 lbs. Hope everything works out.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi Dixielee. and welcome to the site! I hope you will enjoy it here!

Snow Dancer's offered some excellent ideas and suggestions for you.

I'm afraid I dont have any, not familiar with this topic.
You might consider posting your question to the health forum for more member input on your issues of concern.

Good luck with your girl.. and would love see photos of your sweetie.
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Welcome, unfortunatly I have no advice for you.