Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Cat has a wound right behind ear

Yesterday morning when my cat came in from outside i seen bleeding coming from behind his ear on his head (not alot just some blood), and i could tell it had a oder to it, i called all the vets in my area all have to be paid up front and it will be ATLEAST 250$ which i dont have, so is there anything i can do about it here at home?.. Right now all he does is lay under my bed, has not came out since last night, he just sticks his head out to eat, some people said to just leave it alone... Any ideas?
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Odor = infection, and he needs antibiotics. Next he will get an abcess, which is much more expensive to treat. My guess is he got into a fight. Wounds inflicted by another cat are almost guaranteed to become infected.

Hiding under the bed means he's suffering. Probably this happened awhile ago and he may have a fever by now.

I've had a few cats with head wounds and this is usually how it unfolds (one got an infection of the inner ear, which hurt his balance; he still walks funny). I'm not trying to scare you (well maybe just a little )

Sorry, I find it hard to believe that a simple pet visit (even throwing in a prescription for antibiotics) costs $250. Call some other vets, ask for payment plans, borrow from your friends, call rescue groups, maybe the city pound has a cheap clinic.

Is your cat neutered? This should be done immediately, so he is not contributing to the explosion of homeless pets. Also, neutered males are not so driven to fight and make happier pets, more relaxed, cuddly even.

I would also try to keep him inside. Sometimes it ain't easy, particularly if they're used to that stimulation, but at the very least get him vaccinated against some of the illnesses he's exposed to out there and so fighting is less of a problem. You are his protector.

Last edited by badger; January 15th, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Queen

I second everything badger has said. Antibiotics and a visit didn't cost more than a $100 last time I was in (about two yrs ago). Once I had to have an absess lanced and it only cost about $50, my cat was not hiding though, which is not a good sign along with the odor. If you really can only do upfront with the vets you'd be better off borrowing even selling something to get the money right away. It will be much more costly if he ends up needing to be hospitalized. Let us know how it goes and we'll be keeping our fingers crossed you can find a way to get him some medical attention.
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I agree with everyone that a vet visit is in order, but in the meantime, don't just leave the cat in hiding. If there is an odor then it is likely that it is already abscessing. If the cat will cooperate (or not) get some warm water and a cloth and clean up the area and look to see if there is a puncture or even a claw stuck in the skin. The ideal thing is to soak it until it starts to drain on its own and then keep cleaning it every few hours. I have quite often ended up not needing the vet when I could clean a wound myself. The vet of course should take a look at it so kitty can have antibiotics if needed, but don't let kitty suffer while you're getting the vet visit organized.
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

250.00 wow where do you live??It has an odor,vet vet vet
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Kitty Consort

I would definitley agree that a vet visit is needed a.s.a.p, dusco. The fact that your kitty is hiding indicates he is ill, and needs medical attention.

This sounds like a bite, an odour indicating infection - a very common result of cat bites.
Without treatment this can become extremely serious, the poisons in the cat's body making him progressively sicker.

Leaving it alone is not good advice.:sad: Please take him to vet right away, so he can start to benefit from antibiotics.
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

A vet-visit and antibiotics should be at the most $100 and my vet is up there pricewise.
Maybe if the vet thinks the cat has not had his shots,he would probably add them to the price,hence $250.
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Welcome dusco,

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.

Thanks for your understanding.
Closed Thread